Author Topic: Which is worse?  (Read 22347 times)

craigr

Which is worse?
« on: April 30, 2009, 02:24:17 PM »
Just for curiosity's sake...

BTW, I was given the task of creating standards for our company that has had no standards from the get-go. It was very difficult to get everyone to agree on the standards.

It remains difficult to get others to follow them, 5 years later.

'I don't have time to learn / follow them'

craigr

M-dub

Re: Which is worse?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
Gotsta have standards!

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »
I was going to choose "sliding down a pole covered with razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohol" but I see that wasn't an option - so I chose "Company Without Standards".  At least with the other option you have a bit of a starting point - it's better than nothing.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:09 PM »
I was going to choose "sliding down a pole covered with razor blades into a pool of rubbing alcohol" but I see that wasn't an option - so I chose "Company Without Standards".  At least with the other option you have a bit of a starting point - it's better than nothing.

Thats what i was going to say.......

Ditto, at least there is something.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

James Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
Without.

I'd rather have standards, even if I have to adapt.  

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 02:47:50 PM »
Both!

No standards: People cant decide upon one.
Existing standards: People dont/wont change.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:49:36 PM »
Even when theres standards in place, some people like to think the standard dont apply to them :x 
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

craigr

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »
Even when theres standards in place, some people like to think the standard dont apply to them :x 

EXACTLY!!

That's what happens here.

Sometimes I feel like a  :police: and they are just trying to 'get away with it'.

MUCH time wasted.

craigr

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:55:13 PM »
I voted wrong... I voted for which was better.

Changed my vote.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 03:05:16 PM »

EXACTLY!!

That's what happens here.

Sometimes I feel like a  :police: and they are just trying to 'get away with it'.

MUCH time wasted.

craigr
Ahhh... stop being such a big    :wink: :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

KewlToyZ

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »
Standards by writing some automation into processes are the best.
Accomplishing multiple tasks with a single click removing the tedious and mundane from their job is usually the most successful way to get them adopted.
Once they learn the commands, improving/re-writing the routines is a transparent way of continuing to improve upon them. When they run into trouble with a project because they didnt follow standards, they can find it on the list of reasons they went over budget.

Creativity is a great thing but not when it becomes inconsistency in a production environment.
Sure it gets done, but without the standards, there is no way to optimize or improve productivity.
Not to mention production absolutely has to have some sense of predictability in their work flow.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 03:44:06 PM »
Standards by writing some automation into processes are the best.
Accomplishing multiple tasks with a single click removing the tedious and mundane from their job is usually the most successful way to get them adopted.
Once they learn the commands, improving/re-writing the routines is a transparent way of continuing to improve upon them. When they run into trouble with a project because they didnt follow standards, they can find it on the list of reasons they went over budget.

Creativity is a great thing but not when it becomes inconsistency in a production environment.
Sure it gets done, but without the standards, there is no way to optimize or improve productivity.
Not to mention production absolutely has to have some sense of predictability in their work flow.
Whoa that some pretty profound stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:14:19 PM by krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

KewlToyZ

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
LOL! I try. My biggest concern with Standards currently is our workflow and productivity.
Keeping the company lean by creating these standards.
When I say lean, I mean less time on training more time on the production.
Of course it will always result in up front time investment with regard to the project setup.

As the complexity of these projects increase exponentially I am faced with the crossroads of BIM transition for the company and its standards. Currently we are pretty much open source Autolisp customizations.
I lobbied for the company to make a transition to the aec content specific methods, but ultimately everyone has stuck with the the open source standards and Vanilla use of AutoCAD MEP.
I spent quite a bit of time setting up the drawing template for MEP to have it collect dust without any verification from the users.
Once again, every few months someone comes by and asks about Revit to work with our clients.
As always, I am interested, but we spent $800-$1000 for 6 candidates to take the courses.
Not once have they used the application since. Changing the workflow as dramatically as it would be has made the grass seem not so green. Sooner or later we are going to have to force our own hands with this though.
Of course no one wants to because the profit margin for the project and the unknown's scare every one off.
The same for the aec BIM content of the Autodesk verticals.

So I am still trying to find the path to subtly push the herd into using a BIM approach.
It is already becoming fairly difficult to manage with the open source Autolisp routines.
Moving toward the Proprietary content of MEP still looks like my best bet.
Making the time and introducing them to it is still daunting.

Bakerman

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 04:22:15 PM »

Our company has standards and even has an accompanying manual. I think everyone follows it pretty well......at least the ones in the main office. I'm in a construction field office and sometimes "I get in a hurry".  :evil:

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »
Existing standards: People dont/wont change.
If they have standards why do they need to change?