Author Topic: not my department  (Read 6652 times)

dubb

• Swamp Rat
not my department
« on: October 20, 2004, 12:00:41 PM »
i work at this engineering company and we have civil and they just added me and my boss...as structural. so basically the civil department has been here first. as soon as i was hired i knew that there has not been any cad standards and everything from files to layers was not in order. so now im setting up cad standards for a structural department. but i have to be crossed trained with civil. i have all my standards up now...but civil, they sort of jump around with layers and their drawings dont seem too look consistent. the civil department has 3 guys who draft differently, its driving me nuts trying to help them out. all 3 of them agreed to do their civil drafting their own way and hope to put out quality work. when i help them i get so freakin confused and i tell them to standardize their work or no body can help you when youre in need of an extra hand. this has been goin on for ever since ive been hired.....how the heck am i gonna get these people to standardize...to me..i beleive that with  a standard....given the same sketch to 4 drafters.....all 4 drafters will cad it the same way...and it will plot and look the same way.

i just wanted to let this out...because im so dam mad...
-btw. mark...what happened to "thebigswamp"?

ELOQUINTET

not my department
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 12:12:26 PM »
ha does this belong in the vent section? i feel your pain. it all depends on the type of preson you're dealing with. why not have a timed competition each person given the same drawing and let the boss judge it based on time completed accuracy consistency etc. just an idea

M-dub

not my department
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:30:28 PM »
Welcome to TheSwamp, dubb! :)
One thing you might want to try (and maybe you already have...) is to teach and SHOW them the value of using a standard.  How much EASIER things are if they're all done "right"...the same, anyway.
For starters...

dubb

• Swamp Rat
not my department
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:40:25 PM »
exactly..what im thinking...so im gonna wait for the next meeting...and make this happen...its a pain in the ass but for the benefit of the future.

why not have a timed competition each person given the same drawing and let the boss judge it based on time completed accuracy consistency etc. just an idea

compare apple to apples

One thing you might want to try (and maybe you already have...) is to teach and SHOW them the value of using a standard

im gonna keep trying to push that

thanks guys...btw...i been using bigswamp before..and i still trying to learn lisp.

ELOQUINTET

not my department
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:07:38 PM »
i think it's very important though to remain patient and try not to personalize it too much so that person feels attacked and shuts down. a good way to do that is by pointing out the problem then pointing out why it is a problem and how doing it another way solves that problem and doesn't create another. put together a good presentation and explain the benefits not only to your coworkers but tell the boss how much money it will save him cha ching.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
not my department
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 01:08:28 PM »
Good luck with it and let me know how it goes.
  I have the same problem at my office and due to some very pig headedness the idea of a standard for the office will never come into play.
One person in particular will only work on drawings done his way, and he is unwilling to learn anything new, or do the drawings a different way.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

ELOQUINTET

not my department
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 01:15:10 PM »
you work in my office i did not know that  :lol: