Author Topic: Rough Draft of Drafting Standards Document  (Read 12747 times)

ELOQUINTET

Rough Draft of Drafting Standards Document
« on: October 19, 2004, 03:30:06 PM »
This is what I have so far. Can you guys look it over and make suggestions as far as content, grammar, etc. etc. thanks

http://www.theswamp.org/lilly_pond/dan/A-val%20drafting%20standards.doc?nossi=1

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 03:42:55 PM »
should all blocks be uniformally scaled? i say yes but a coworker of mine scales them. could i get a list of problems one could encounter by scaling blocks my mind has gone blank?

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 04:34:29 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
should all blocks be uniformally scaled? i say yes but a coworker of mine scales them. could i get a list of problems one could encounter by scaling blocks my mind has gone blank?

Text within a block not same size when scaled...

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:37:25 PM »
well he doesn't put text in his blocks so that doesn't apply but sometimes he does put hatch in which would scale and also is mirrored when the block is mirrored. thanks for your input though i appreciate it.

Bob Garner

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 04:44:31 PM »
I like where you frequently invite users to propose where they think something ought to be different.  No alienation here.

But I suggest on the second to last page where you state, "After scanning an Architectural Drawing,"  I think you should add the words, "if it is a typical Architectural Drawing and you have been successful in creating a usable file out of it, go immediately to the boss's office for a bonus."

Seriously, I think you have a great start.

Are you having Hatch problems?  I'm on ACAD 2004 and use them extensively on structural steel details with no problems.

I once had a boss who said standards should only be used where you don't have a better idea.

Bo

hyposmurf

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 04:52:26 PM »
Ours are scaled uniformly,we havent any problems with our blocks this way.In our standards file we also have a list of standard layer names and there applicable linetype/colour(we use colour dependant plot styles).This gives users a backobone of common layers to stick to,as you mentioned there are also incedents where job specific layers have to be created.We also have a explanation of the file naming convention.I'd like to send you mine so you could see,but Im paranoid it will get into the wrong hands and back to my work. :( .Very unlikely I know ,just dont want to take that chance.

Kate M

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 05:29:56 PM »
In addition to the hatch and text issues, you can't refedit a non-uniformly scaled block.

TR

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 09:01:56 PM »
Here's my criticism:

1) If you're going to call something a standard it should be written as if it's a fact and not a suggestion. If you use words like “try” and “should” to me that means that it's optional.

2) Don't make references to yourself in your document. If these standards are still around after you are gone then this document isn't really going to make sense to anyone reading it. (i.e. “I made a shortcut for mine and placed it on my desktop for easy access.” and “If you forget to saveas the original template please notify me and I will put a new one in the projects folder.”)

3) Get rid of all the parts about the users suggesting ideas. It's already written in the preface.

4) Some of your paragraphs are hard to follow. For example:

“When starting a new job browse to the p://projects folder and you will see a folder called yyxxx-project_file_template. Make a copy of this folder and rename it with your job name and number. Next Click on the New button hit the use a template and browse to P://Library and double click on A-val Shop Drawing Template.dwt.”

To me this is very unclear. If I were asked to browse to a folder and copy it I would do so through Windows Explorer, not AutoCAD. Now if I performed those tasks through Windows Explorer then the last sentence wouldn't really make any sense.

I've written quite a few standards documents and users guides in my short time here and I've found it's better to assume no one has a clue. Doing so will ensure that you write a clear and easily understandable document.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 08:10:59 AM »
thanks for the input everybody. tim it's a bit tricky see we have our in house drafting department and we have some freelance guys too. this document i am putting together first to get input from other people in the department then once we agree we will reword things more as fact. i am just stating what i view as being the correct way. i see what you mean about not making references to myself but again that tricky because i'm not sure who to put there as we don't have a cad manager or even a head of our department at this point. i know what you might suggest ask if i can take on that role. well i'm considering it but want to have a good presentation for the boss and thus this document. i know what you mean about the paragraph it needs some work and i'll try to make it clearer. as far as writing it as if noone has a clue i understand you but i also don't want to come off as a know it all. Bob made my point i don't want to alienate anyone or make them feel afraid to ask a question or make a suggestion. then they will shut down and start quietly doing it their way again and that's what i don't want communication is key. anyway thanks for your suggestions again and keep em comin...

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 09:05:15 AM »
i revised this part. how does it read now?

*** When starting a new job open windows explorer and browse to the p://projects/2004 folder.You will see a folder there called yyxxx-project_file_template. Make a copy of this folder and rename it with your job name and number. Next open Autocad and Click on the New button. Then press the use a template button and browse to P://Library and double click on A-val Shop Drawing Template.dwt. This will open up a Drawing1.dwg which will contain all of the standard layers, blocks text styles dimension styles and page setups. Save this drawing into the Shop Drawings subfolder folder in the job folder you just created and begin working.If you have suggestions on how to improve the template propose them and if everyone agrees we will implement them. If you forget to saveas the original template please notify your supervisor and a new one will be put in the projects folder. Please do not save as an existing drawing.

Kate M

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 09:44:08 AM »
Dan, I'd agree with Tim in keeping it as much third-person as possible. As in, "You may want to make a shortcut and put it on the desktop," or "If you forget to save the template, see Dan." You probably won't be able to completely eliminate self-references, but if you use your name, it'll be less confusing for the readers (if they don't know who wrote it).

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 09:51:28 AM »
this is the reworded part about the plot utility

You can make a shortcut to the utility by right clicking on the icon and clicking create shortcut. then drag the new icon to your desktop for easy access.

and for the other read end of post above.

thanks kate   :wink:

TR

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 10:34:15 AM »
What I meant by writing as if no one has a clue is to go into everything in detail, step by step.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 10:43:58 AM »
i hear ya tim just trying to put everything down on paper at this point and agree on a standard first then i'll really spell it out. I just didn't want to have a my way or the highway attitude about it and get a negative reaction it's touchy. thanks though i understand what you mean too.

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 01:48:12 PM »
Ok, I had a quick read of it and here are a few things I noticed:

*** Always use descriptive folder and drawing names so anyone can open your drawings and be able to easily find what they are looking for.

It's fine if you guys use descriptive file and folder names, but you might want to specify how they're to be generated.  I eliminated all spaces from our folder names and they're strictly prohibited from being used in filenames.  If you ever want to use any scripts on a batch of drawings, spaces won't help you at all!
(If you're interested, I can send you our File Code Index which tells people how and where to save / name their drawings.)

*** Drawings should be marked up by the project manager in red pen so the draftsman can easily see what changes need to be made and the draftsman should highlight the items they have revised as they go through the markup.

It's kind of a running joke around here, but there was once an engineer here, who insited on using ALL KINDS of colours on his markups.  Each colour had its own meaning.  We got rid of a bunch of them, but kept a few and they are now a standard in a few places around the area.
Red = Markups (Change or Add)
Green = Delete
Blue = Questionable (To be discussed with involved parties)
Yellow = Complete (Every CAD person should know that one!)

*** Drawings should be consistant.

This should be item #1 under General Drafting...or even at the top of your standard.  After all, that is the whole reason for creating a standard.

*** Dimensions should look like this unless it is absolutely necessary to deviate.

Although it is helpful to see what what 'THIS' looks like, it might also be a good idea to define all of your dimension settings.  You could do this with screenshots as well.
Since I'm on the topic of screenshots, might I suggest using ALT+Print Screen to create them?  It will give you the current window ONLY instead of your entire screen.

*** All drawings should be numbered numerically not alphabetically.

What are you talking about here?  Am I correct in saying that it conflicts with "*** Always use descriptive folder and drawing names so anyone can open your drawings and be able to easily find what they are looking for."?

Other than that, I found a bunch of grammatical errors that should be corrected when you create your Issue Copy.  You might also want to number each standard as well..."Refer to standard 3.4.5, etc..."

I agree with pretty much everything other folks have had to say as well.  For example, instead of 'You', try 'The user' or 'Each Draftsperson' and in place of 'I', use 'Dan' or '(Enter your job title here)'.

Anyway, That's after a quick read...I've really gotta get back to work though.

Have Fun!  ;)