Author Topic: Wall Intersections  (Read 8041 times)

Artisan

Wall Intersections
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:57:23 PM »
In ADT 3.3, how do you get an interior wall to join into an exterior wall? Right now when I draw an interior wall that meets an exterior, a line seperates them, as if no fillet is present.

Thanks

• Bull Frog
Wall Intersections
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 06:41:11 PM »
If you have a look in the wall style properties box, you will note the Components tag

All components must have a priority set. This will determine how different components meet and clean up
The higher the priority means that component will cut through lower priority components. The two elements that need to clean up withput a line between them, have to have the same priority.

I will post two screen dumps shortly
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/42/wall-style.gif
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/42/walls.gif
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Artisan

Wall Intersections
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 08:24:48 AM »
Thanks for the help, but this is getting over my head at this moment. I really need to get ahold of a good text to start with the basics. Thanks again.

• Bull Frog
Wall Intersections
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 02:36:53 PM »
The book that I have found very helpful, even though it’s American (feet and inches not the culture) is Mastering Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2004 by Paul F. Aubin, available from all good book sellers.

Keep asking questions, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Don't give up it's well worth the vertical learning curve. Your productivity will go through the roof. I will never go back to single line drafting.

Alastair
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

megamike

Wall Intersections
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 03:25:57 PM »
also check that your exterior walls and interior wall have the same "group" assigned. walls with differing groups will not clean up.
selact a wall, right click to pop up the shortcut menu, select "wall modify"
note the "group" style. Then select your exterior wall and make sure that the same "group" is applied.
Other things to check: in the "options" dialog box, go to the "AEC drawing defaults" tab and set wall cleanup radius to 0"
Still in the options dialog box, go to the "AEC performance" tab and make sure the box "Never clean up wall intersections" is NOT checked.
Hang in there, as 42 said, the learning curve is VERY steep!
I went from Acad14 w/softdesk s8 to ADT3.3 2 years ago, and am still learning new things every day. I was self taught on autocad and softdesk, but had to break down and go to a training class for ADT3.3.
I would highly recommend it , if you can get your employer to spring for it!

Artisan

Wall Intersections
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 10:52:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I have altered my priorities, clean-up radii and etc and still I cannot get an interior wall to merge with an exterior wall when they meet. I'll keep trying. Thanks

Artisan

Wall Intersections
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 11:25:58 AM »
Quick note guys, I just came across the answer while playing with it here. Seems the priorities must be the same when walls intersect in order for the clean up to take place. Example, for an interior stud wall to merge with an exterior stud wall with brick, both stud wall priorities must be the same. I'm on my way now. Thanks

whdjr

Wall Intersections
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 11:43:11 AM »
That's good to know.  It will definitely help us.

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Wall Intersections
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 01:34:39 PM »
Learned all I my fundamentals by signing up for the "Osmosis Learning Center" at ArchiDigm...it's a fantastic site.