Author Topic: (C3D '09) Feature Line or 3D Pline?  (Read 2232 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
(C3D '09) Feature Line or 3D Pline?
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »
If you are creating an existing surface which works best for breaklines Feature lines or 3D plines?

TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

sinc

Re: (C3D '09) Feature Line or 3D Pline?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
If you are creating from an existing Survey, the best is usually to use Survey Figures, assuming you are not using some third-party F2F solution.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 12:55:34 PM »
If you are creating from an existing Survey, the best is usually to use Survey Figures, assuming you are not using some third-party F2F solution.

Survey Figures work best, as one can predefine which of them are added as breaklines within ones Figure Preferences...with a simple Right Click on the Figures collection on the Survey toolspace tab.
And you can zoom to them
Map Check them....etc...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
thanks guys I'll look into the survey figures.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:30 PM »
So what's the benefit of creating a survey database to create a survey figure to create breaklines? Sorry I don't see the need for all the extra fluff just to define some breaklines.

You can use the AutoCAD Civil 3D survey features to download, create, analyze, and adjust survey data. The survey features extend the functionality of AutoCAD Civil 3D by streamlining the process of transferring field-captured survey data to and from the office.
All of this is done by the time I get any data which is a list of points.

sinc

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
Depending on how you work, it might not give you any benefit.

The benefit comes when the field surveyor uses figure codes while doing the survey.  Then you can dump the entire field survey into C3D all at once, and the breaklines are all drawn for you automatically.  Since they are connected according to the field surveyor's linework codes, you don't have to guess at "connect-the-dots".

Then, once you dump in the field survey (via FBK file and the Survey Database), you can simply right-click on the Figures in your Survey Network, and do "Create breaklines..."  Then all figures that are supposed to be breaklines get added as breaklines to the surface; all figures that are not breaklines do not get added to the surface.

When everything is setup, and the field surveyor makes no coding mistakes, it takes a matter of minutes, and the survey is largely complete, except for cleanup, annotations, title sheets, etc.

dfarris75

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
And when it's that easy do y'all still charge extra for creating an EG surface model for your client?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
So what's the benefit of creating a survey database to create a survey figure to create breaklines? Sorry I don't see the need for all the extra fluff just to define some breaklines.

You can use the AutoCAD Civil 3D survey features to download, create, analyze, and adjust survey data. The survey features extend the functionality of AutoCAD Civil 3D by streamlining the process of transferring field-captured survey data to and from the office.
All of this is done by the time I get any data which is a list of points.

In such case they should then simply give you a Data Shortcut to the surface that they have already developed for you to use.
Then you simply apply the desired style and move forward with your design, and there is no need to (CADD) monkey around with the data by adding breaklines or boundaries.
Or ask for a(n) FBK file from them instead of just dumb ASCII point file.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »
And when it's that easy do y'all still charge extra for creating an EG surface model for your client?

You are paying for the PROFESSIONAL surveyors knowledge....and skill.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:39 PM »
Hehe. I wish there were more skilled PROFESSIONALS around here.

sinc

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 06:27:40 PM »

Charge extra...?   :?

When we are commissioned to perform a topo survey, we automatically assume that the purchaser will want a DTM.  We aren't one of those firms that does topos on grid paper, and then scans them into the computer...   :-)

The engineer should never have to "connect the dots" from a field survey.  The field surveyor is the only one who can really be responsible for saying that the survey is "correct".

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »
The field surveyor is the only one who can really be responsible for saying that the survey is "correct".

And that's exactly what I teach in all of my classes.

This week I have 12 (twelve) more surveyors, that have seen the beauty of proper line coding and the most excellent results they can produce; by using proper techniques and care in the field!  All from just a few hours of careful training and observation of their methods.
 Life is good!

Be your Best

Michael Farrell