Author Topic: The wait is over! (Well, almost.)  (Read 8411 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: The wait is over! (Well, almost.)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
As does parametric drawing...but we'll have to see how well it all actually works before deciding.

Let's see if that parametric drawing feature functions as well as associative dimensioning does.  The emphasis added is mine.  Notice they write the article as if it is YOUR fault that the feature does NOT function.   :ugly:

Also notice how long the DEFECT has been around at least 8 years, and then thank a subscription customer.
My money says it is most likely STILL broken in the Theyv'e Done it to us again in 2010 version.

ID: TS71853

Applies to:
AutoCADŽ 2009
AutoCADŽ 2008
AutoCADŽ 2007
AutoCADŽ 2006
AutoCADŽ 2005
AutoCADŽ 2004
AutoCADŽ 2002

Issue

When doing associative dimensioning (DIMASSOC variable set to 2), the following message is displayed on the command line:

Specify second extension line origin: end of Non-associative dimension created.  

Solution

This message indicates that you are trying to dimension an unsupported object in model space. The dimension created by this process will be non-associative.

Following is a list of objects that are unsupported for associative dimensions:

All dimensions
Leaders
Tolerances
Multi-lines
Any block inserted using MINSERT command
Solids
Traces
3D Faces
Polygon mesh vertices
Polyline mesh vertices
Polyline meshes
Polygon meshes
3D Face records
Viewports
Hatches
Mirrored or non-uniformly scaled block references
Images
Custom objects that do not implement the AcDbDimProtocol for supporting associativity
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Kate M

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
What I want to know....does attaching the PDF underlays suddenly turn them into vector lines?

that is what it sounds like to me. *shrug*
It only works if the PDF was created with vectors. In other words, any PDF that originally came from a drawing file (regardless of driver...I think) will be snappable, but something you scanned in probably won't be.

PDF Output provides flexible, high quality output. Export TrueType fonts as text rather than as graphics, specify merge control, include layer information, and automatically preview the plotted PDF!

<sarcasm>So is DWF going to die now? Sounds like they may have got the hint.</sarcasm>
We still like DWF (and you can't make a 3D PDF from a DWG), but it doesn't necessarily hurt to accommodate the competition. :)

M-dub

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »
Awesome, Kate!
Getting anxious for the upgrade (because it might be a good time to pitch the idea of getting another license and put an end to that nasty popup saying there aren't any available).
Some of the new features look good, though!  Thanks for posting.

What I want to know....does attaching the PDF underlays suddenly turn them into vector lines?

that is what it sounds like to me. *shrug*
It only works if the PDF was created with vectors. In other words, any PDF that originally came from a drawing file (regardless of driver...I think) will be snappable, but something you scanned in probably won't be.

I'm guessing that for those with Raster Design, it would work similarly to Raster Snap, although I would hope it would work a little better.  I typically don't even use it.
If it does treat them like regular vectors, that would be fan-friggin-tastic!  I would venture to say that there should be an option to print PDF's as images though, for the people who provide PDF's instead of .DWG's JUST so others can't bring it into AutoCAD.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »
Thank you Kate, for bringing this up...has caused much discussion. Like most of us...we will get 2010 in due course, whether we want it or not.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
How about IFCs? Any improvements as to the export to proper classes?
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
The 2010 version of the AutoCAD family of products was launched yesterday -- no more keeping secrets! Yay! :-D (The not-talking is the hardest part.)

Its always hard to keep the new features under wraps, especially when the boss asks how you do something which you know in the current released version that it can't be done.
Ie. PDF underlay, has become a valuable tool for my line of work.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

deegeecees

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »
Looks good, thanks Kate!

Kate M

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »
How about IFCs? Any improvements as to the export to proper classes?
Not a vanilla thing, so I have no idea. <shrug>

JCUTRONA

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
Interesting enough. 

JCUTRONA

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
Hey Kate,  at some point do you guys ever "think of everything"?

M-dub

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
I think a lot of the functionality that has been added to AutoCAD over the years has come (indirectly, at least) from the entire CAD community.

Kate M

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 04:09:46 PM »
I think a lot of the functionality that has been added to AutoCAD over the years has come from the entire CAD community.

Exactly -- why would we ever have to think of everything? You guys are clearly willing to do it for us. :lmao:

M-dub

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »
I think a lot of the functionality that has been added to AutoCAD over the years has come from the entire CAD community.

Exactly -- why would we ever have to think of everything? You guys are clearly willing to do it for us. :lmao:

That's not to take away from what all of the Autodesk people have done... just sayin'  :)

SDETERS

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
Since Autocad is pushing 3D and enhancing it more and more.

I saw you can make a STL File.  When are they going to let you make STEP IGES or any of the common 3D file formats that are out there today?   Maybe you can do that now we are on 2007.  Thanks

sinc

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »

What does "think of everything" really mean?

When I compare Autocad to the picture in my mind of "my ideal CAD package", I'd say Autocad is at best 1/3 of the way there, and probably not even that far.  And the picture in my head of "my ideal CAD package" is geared very-heavily toward Civil Engineering; it would hardly be "everything" for CAD users in general.  For that matter, I'm sure it wouldn't even be "everything" for Civil Engineers...

Because of course, the more I learn, the fancier the "CAD in my mind" gets...  The "CAD in my mind" is actually growing far faster than Autocad, which is maybe why I'm always chomping at the bit when I see Autodesk's stuff...   It's not going fast enough for me.  :-)