Author Topic: Tips & Tricks -- articles, or videos?  (Read 2540 times)

Kate M

Tips & Tricks -- articles, or videos?
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:46:08 PM »
I've been thinking about experimenting with my blog -- mixing up text posts with videos. Before I go crazy with it, though, I thought I'd see if anybody would actually watch them. :-)

Here's my first attempt: Associative Dimensioning (Think about how many words and screenshots you'd need to explain this concept, and you'll see why I recorded it instead.)

How about it? Would you watch a video to learn a tip? Would it have to be a short one? Would you just rather read about it instead? Would it depend on the tip?

M-dub

Re: Tips & Tricks -- articles, or videos?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
Depends on the tip.

A healthy combination of text and video is always nice and keeping it short and sweet is important.

Edit:  The addition of screenshots (including animated gif's) is also very helpful sometimes.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
I've been thinking about experimenting with my blog -- mixing up text posts with videos. Before I go crazy with it, though, I thought I'd see if anybody would actually watch them. :-)

Here's my first attempt: Associative Dimensioning (Think about how many words and screenshots you'd need to explain this concept, and you'll see why I recorded it instead.)

How about it? Would you watch a video to learn a tip? Would it have to be a short one? Would you just rather read about it instead? Would it depend on the tip?

this is exactly why I chose video as the primary delivery vehicle here http://primeservicesglobal.com/pirate3d/, and on the free tutorials that I offer here: http://primeservicesglobal.com/tutorials.php
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
Lemme guess... you posted it on YouTube?  Which is why I can't see it.  A lot of people I know have YouTube blocked from the company internet access.  I personally like having a WMV that I can download at work, save, and watch when it's convenient for me.  So, unless I send myself the link to the web site and look it up at night (which is highly unlikely since I prefer to keep work AT WORK) I'll never see it.  Just my two cents.

I DO like the videos though, like on Kyle's blog.  He's got quite a few WMVs posted for MEP.  It makes it much easier to comprehend when you can actually see what's being clicked and where it's located, etc....
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »
I like video presentations and it often take the ambiguity out of written explanations.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
I like video presentations and it often take the ambiguity out of written explanations.

hides typos too ;)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
I selected depends but I like both.  I have to agree that video is a lot clearer. 

Bonus points, We can now place a voice with that smile.   :-D
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Kate M

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:31 PM »
Lemme guess... you posted it on YouTube?  Which is why I can't see it.  A lot of people I know have YouTube blocked from the company internet access.
Hmm, good point. YouTube is currently the easiest way to get a video into the blog, and Autodesk is working on putting a company-wide channel together. But thanks for the reminder about blocked sites.

Bonus points, We can now place a voice with that smile.   :-D
If you'd attended one of my webcasts, you could've done that before now. :wink:

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
I like videos to learn from, but it has to depend on the tip/trick you are learning. SOme would take too long as written/images documents, but some workplaces frown on too much multimedia
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
Cui's and other large chunks of new info work great on a video.

By the way Kate it would nice to mention that associative dims lose their associatively on a blockref when it is edited

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »
I like video presentations and it often takes the ambiguity out of written explanations.

hides typos too ;)
That's a big plus. 8-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

whdjr

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:15:35 AM »
I selected an article in the poll, but then I watched your video.  The video was nice and very informative, but sometimes at work I can't use my sound.  That is the only drawback I see with the videos.

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
I made a couple training sessions using Adobe Captivate. Expensive and hard to master, but excellent output IMO.