Author Topic: Painfully Slow Regens C3D2009  (Read 5592 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
Painfully Slow Regens C3D2009
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »
Am I just expecting too much? Even relatively simple drawings are taking forever to regen.  :x
Does anyone have any suggestions to improve this?

Thanks
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

doggarncity

Re: Painfully Slow Regens C3D2009
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:45:37 AM »
Am I just expecting too much? Even relatively simple drawings are taking forever to regen.  :x

Thanks

First offering would to set your pagefile size to be a min. of 3 gig or more. The other pain is your anti-virus software. I could use microsoft one care because it uses the least resources of any. Symantec/McAfee can rob 30% plus of your computing power. Of course, make sure you have enough memory that has a speed, I would recommend of 1066 hz plus and a quad core processor. Also would get a Quadro Fx card at least starting at FX 1500 level or above. These are the simple ones. Check your task manager and test to see if you have other things running at the same time that hog resources. The other experts here will be adding there recommendations that should provide you with any other remedies.

Mike P

sinc

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »
A couple of things:

Most people should not need to mess with the pagefile settings.  The defaults should work fine.  And these days, I have not been able to find any reason to get something like a Quadro.  The GeForce 9600GTS outperforms the Quadro FX1500 by quite a bit, and it only costs about $150.

But neither should have a big impact on regens for a nearly-empty drawing.  Virus software should not impact regens, either.  There really was not enough info given to help diagnose this problem.  Computer specs?  Version of C3D? (Oh, I see in the sig it's C3D 2009.)  In any case, it sounds like there is something strange happening.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:32:27 AM »
Ok, sorry for the short question - I'm just getting really frustrated with this. :ugly:
A bit more:

I recently decided that C3D (2009 w/SP1) was working well enough for me to uninstall my LDD 2008. I noticed the slow regens around the same time (I don't remember exactly when I first noticed it). C3D had been working quite well before. I have an HP Mobile Workstation 8710w with a Quadro FX 1500M, 4gb ram, and the page file is set way high (around 6gb) - good machine.
I also had installed SP2 for C3D around that time. Again, I don't remember exactly.

I have tried uninstalling SP2 and a repair with no real change. I'm thinking I may need to do a complete wipe and reinstall. :(

Thanks for your help
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »
Everything in C3D '09 is painfully slow for me, well in a file that has many points.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
Everything in C3D '09 is painfully slow for me, well in a file that has many points.

That's the thing - this is happening in empty files too. You might expect it in a big project, but in a new file with nothing??
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

doggarncity

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:16:49 AM »
A couple of things:

And these days, I have not been able to find any reason to get something like a Quadro.  The GeForce 9600GTS outperforms the Quadro FX1500 by quite a bit, and it only costs about $150.

I mentioned Quadro only because it has speicific performance drivers for 2009 autocad that when I tested it for regens were near equal to a GTX 280 without those performance drivers and you can get a 1500 for about $150 on ebay now. That was tested on large files. I got to test 2 different Quadro's 1500 and the fx 4600, both made my C3D start 2nd time load in about 5 sec. First time load about 40 sec. You are right about config on machines, to many variables. Yes, on the something wrong with the dwg. Maybe use a different template dwg and redo.

Mike P

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:14 AM »
A couple of things:

And these days, I have not been able to find any reason to get something like a Quadro.  The GeForce 9600GTS outperforms the Quadro FX1500 by quite a bit, and it only costs about $150.

I mentioned Quadro only because it has speicific performance drivers for 2009 autocad that when I tested it for regens were near equal to a GTX 280 without those performance drivers and you can get a 1500 for about $150 on ebay now. That was tested on large files. I got to test 2 different Quadro's 1500 and the fx 4600, both made my C3D start 2nd time load in about 5 sec. First time load about 40 sec. You are right about config on machines, to many variables. Yes, on the something wrong with the dwg. Maybe use a different template dwg and redo.

Mike P

It is not a problem with any specific dwg - it happens with all drawings (mine or those I get from outside)
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

sinc

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:52:18 AM »

I recently decided that C3D (2009 w/SP1) was working well enough for me to uninstall my LDD 2008. I noticed the slow regens around the same time (I don't remember exactly when I first noticed it). C3D had been working quite well before. I have an HP Mobile Workstation 8710w with a Quadro FX 1500M, 4gb ram, and the page file is set way high (around 6gb) - good machine.
I also had installed SP2 for C3D around that time. Again, I don't remember exactly.

I have tried uninstalling SP2 and a repair with no real change. I'm thinking I may need to do a complete wipe and reinstall. :(

Yes, sounds like you need to do a complete repair.  Uninstalling old versions of Autodesk stuff sometimes causes issues with the products that remain, and you may need to repair the remaining products.

However, more likely it has something to do with whatever you did when you "tried uninstalling SP2".  You can't uninstall a service pack - the only thing you can do is completely uninstall C3D, and reinstall it without the SP.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »

Yes, sounds like you need to do a complete repair.  Uninstalling old versions of Autodesk stuff sometimes causes issues with the products that remain, and you may need to repair the remaining products.

However, more likely it has something to do with whatever you did when you "tried uninstalling SP2".  You can't uninstall a service pack - the only thing you can do is completely uninstall C3D, and reinstall it without the SP.

Well that's probably it then. I used the windows "Add/Remove Programs" and the SP was listed. It said it removed it. BUT- I see it's still there in the list. I guess a clean install is in order...

...although I only tried to uninstall the SP after I started having problems...?

Thanks

...sets off to get a hammer and a cup of coffee...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

sinc

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »

Something's wrong in that picture.  Your graphics card should have no significant effect on load time.

In any case, the GeForce 9600 GTS outperforms the Quadro FX1500 by quite a bit, so if the price is the same, I'd go with a brand-new 9600 GTS over a used (and possibly abused) Quadro FX1500.

It's a moot point for this thread, anyway, because the OP does have extensive hardware.  But like I said, even with poor hardware, the OP should not have been seeing the problem he was describing.

sinc

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »

In any case, the GeForce 9600 GTS outperforms the Quadro FX1500 by quite a bit, so if the price is the same, I'd go with a brand-new 9600 GTS over a used (and possibly abused) Quadro FX1500.

Oh wait, I suppose that won't necessarily work...  The GeForce 9600 GTS is PCIe 2.0, while the Quadro FX1500 is PCIe 1.0.  So you can use the Quadro on older machines that won't take the newer GeForce.  In that case, the Quadro looks better.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »
Something's wrong in that picture.  Your graphics card should have no significant effect on load time.

It's a moot point for this thread, anyway, because the OP does have extensive hardware.  But like I said, even with poor hardware, the OP should not have been seeing the problem he was describing.

I thought the Quadro cards were better suited to CAD then the GeForce? Or has that changed recently?
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »
CHulse,

How is the uninstall - install going?

I think the GeForce vs Quadro argument is that one can get more ram and faster clock speed per dollar on those cards at the same or lower price point than a Quadro chipped card.  These better specifications do a fine job of compensating for not having the audocad specific drivers.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Alan Cullen

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
Well...I've had a gut full of my motherboard...keeps freezing, ram doesn't show that it's actually there.

A P5B Asus (?)..anyone ever heard of it? I've had it back in for 2 weeks of testing.....and I got zip response. 2 gig ram.....I am not happy. I have $3000 left over from my mexican trip, so should I just get a new computer or upgrade the motherboard on this one?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
Well...I've had a gut full of my motherboard...keeps freezing, ram doesn't show that it's actually there.

A P5B Asus (?)..anyone ever heard of it? I've had it back in for 2 weeks of testing.....and I got zip response. 2 gig ram.....I am not happy. I have $3000 left over from my mexican trip, so should I just get a new computer or upgrade the motherboard on this one?

Start with flashing the BIOS.....
and reinstall the motherboard resource drivers...

now go put some clothes on  :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Alan Cullen

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:43:38 AM »
c'mon MJ.....

one thing at a time...I am mere male, I can not multitask

I'm dressed...next step?

ChristopherF

• Newt
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
Check your fixed profile at C:\Documents and Settings\<YourName>\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2009\enu\Support\Profiles I had a problem on an earlier version of the program that would cause this file to be corrupted and grow causing the program to slow down. The size should be around 92 kb.

Thanks

doggarncity

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 12:58:39 PM »
Check your fixed profile at C:\Documents and Settings\<YourName>\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2009\enu\Support\Profiles I had a problem on an earlier version of the program that would cause this file to be corrupted and grow causing the program to slow down. The size should be around 92 kb.

Thanks

Yes, the profile maybe it also. For a test if you still have the original profile maybe you can make that current. One thing I found was I tried using an old profile from C3D 2008 to C3D 2009 and boy what a mess. I learned to start building the profile from scratch. If you can test it build a new one, and see what happens. My profiles that were bad did the same thing you are showing. Otherwise, all of the above comments.

Mike P

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
CHulse,

Well that did it. Now it's just slow when you expect it to be  :-D
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 05:05:16 PM »
CHulse,

Well that did it. Now it's just slow when you expect it to be  :-D

Perfect! 

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »
Glad you had a fun trip to Mexico btw. :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out, did he put some clothes on, or has he been flashing his BIOS all day?   :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Alan Cullen

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 09:55:11 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out, did he put some clothes on, or has he been flashing his BIOS all day?   :wink:

Just because I was in Mexico doesn't mean I...never mind.

What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico.

Mike...Zars said in order to flash the BIOS I will need to download some tools. Any idea what he was talking about? I will reinstall all the stuff of the motherboard CD when I get home.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »
you will need in some instances
a)boot floppy
b)bootable CDROM
c)bootable thumdrive

The FlashBIOS.exe or similar file from the BIOS manufacturer, best to reboot, and make note of the BIOS name, type, and rev number.

There will be a read me file with the flash executable.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »

Alan,
How old is it? It might just be time to trade it in for a new one... might be easiest...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
...and we're glad you made it back from Mexico  :wink:
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager