Author Topic: Do you WPF?  (Read 3240 times)

sinc

Do you WPF?
« on: January 23, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »
I just started digging into the Windows Presentation Framework.  Anyone else?

It's kind of neat.  Reminds me of stuff I was doing ten years ago with WebObjects.   :wink:

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Do you WPF?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
Tried it once, I found it kind of sluggish on this old boat anchor and gave up. :|

sinc

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
After digging into it some more, I'm finding it to be a combination of neat things and annoying things.  Some of the annoying things have been caused by me being new to the technology, but some others just seem to be annoying things.

It doesn't seem to be hooked into the refactoring capabilities of Visual Studio.  If I change the name of something using Refactor, it isn't changing the references in the XAML.  And I created a WPF control in a class library and included it another project; whenever I change the control, I have to close the solution and reopen it to get the changes to register in the other project, which is annoying - although that might have something to do with the fact that I'm trying to use WPF controls in Forms.  Or maybe it's because I'm using Resources wrong, I'm not sure.  It also seems to be sensitive to obfuscation, and I have to disable renaming for the stuff that's referenced in the WPF Control (which may be because my obfuscator doesn't do WPF yet, or maybe because I don't know how to configure my obfuscator to properly handle WPF).  It also no longer works if I try to link all the DLLs into a single DLL during obfuscation - my program can no longer find the WPF control when I do that.

All in all, it looks like it can do some neat stuff, but it looks like it involves another learning curve.  I think I might put it off for a while, and maybe look at it again later.

Draftek

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
I'm taking a WPF training class next week.

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »

It's kind of neat.  Reminds me of stuff I was doing ten years ago with WebObjects.   :wink:

I didn't find a datagrid (datagridview) control. That was a deal-breaker for me.
I know there are some third party controls but I try to avoid parties.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
... I try to avoid parties.

one too many lampshades?  :-D
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

TonyT

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:17 AM »

I didn't find a datagrid (datagridview) control. That was a deal-breaker for me.

"We're working on it":

http://windowsclient.net/wpf/wpf35/wpf-35sp1-toolkit-datagrid-feature-walkthrough.aspx

mcarson

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »

I know there are some third party controls but I try to avoid parties.

Interesting, this WPF. AutoCAD 2009 uses a LOT of it (as I've heard). If the DGV (datagridview) is implemented I might have a go.

sinc

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
Meanwhile, I found something in the Visual Studio notes about how refactoring does not work in XAML, so I guess that's something Microsoft is aware of.  And after reporting the obfuscation problems to PreEmptive Solutions, I heard nothing more from them, so I assume that means that Dotfuscator does, in fact, not work with WPF at this time.  I have to prevent renaming and disable DLL linking on any subprojects that contain WPF.

There are some neat things in WPF, but it really does seem to be "beta technology" at this point.  Eventually, though, it sounds like Microsoft plans on completely replacing Windows Forms with WPF.

mcarson

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
Meanwhile, I found something in the Visual Studio notes about how refactoring does not work in XAML, so I guess that's something Microsoft is aware of.  And after reporting the obfuscation problems to PreEmptive Solutions, I heard nothing more from them, so I assume that means that Dotfuscator does, in fact, not work with WPF at this time.  I have to prevent renaming and disable DLL linking on any subprojects that contain WPF.

There are some neat things in WPF, but it really does seem to be "beta technology" at this point.  Eventually, though, it sounds like Microsoft plans on completely replacing Windows Forms with WPF.

I would agree. How many times do we need to change direction?!

pkohut

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
I'm just a few days into Silverlight and finding it to be pretty easy going.
There's been a few XAML glitches, and like you said refactoring is a bust
in that playground.  I'm also having to wire up events by hand which
luckly isn't much of a problem with intellisense and the "+=<tab><tab>"
shortcut.

Paul