Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 3309 times)

Bakerman

Hello All
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »
I'm a new member of The Swamp and since I'm mainly into survey/civil, I thought I'd post an intro here. I'm the survey/cad manager in our field office in southeast Missouri where we are building a RCC pumped storage reservoir on the top of a mountain. We periodically make changes to the plans on the fly, thus the need for CAD on site.

Actually, I'm a licensed surveyor (SC & NC) but I was introduced to AutoCAD in December of 1985. I never did much CAD from a production standpoint until I signed on with my current employer back in 2002. This is my second dam project and I've really enjoyed them both. I spent the first 25 years doing mostly boundary surveying........so this major project construction surveying has been a breath of fresh air for me.

Unfortunately, I'm currently stuck on C3D 2007 with little hope of upgrading until this project is complete. We are required to use the client's resources and they are not making any efforts toward upgrading their Autodesk products (they mostly use MicroStation).

I found this site through the link on sinc's website and I've been lurking since October. I've really enjoyed the topics here and I've learned a great deal already. I still have a long way to go in my conversion to C3D.........partly hindered by the fact that I've been using LDD since DCA version 9.  :-(

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Hello All
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »
Welcome Bakerman!!

As you might already know I stand ready to assist you in your transition to C3D.

cue the Beatles, Long and Winding Road.....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bakerman

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »
Thanks, Michael, I'll keep that in mind. What sort of plan do you have for a company that has given up and reverted back to Land Desktop 2009?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »
First we sit down and talk about WHY,

then we find a way to create a lesson plan that shows you enough to think Why Not use C3D?

I started in this field in 1978....and later autocad 2.x, so I understand many of the challenges you are faced with.

Many of the companies I have trained move forward easily, some need a little extra guidance. 

Your client needs, and project demands are unique, however I'm sure they are not insurmountable.

A recent trip to S.D. had me drag three teams of surveyors outside into a blustery snowstorm, to show them that YES line coding can and does work, and that YES I would survey with them to make it happen, and YES they could make it work for them.  After about 45 minutes at -2 we had our data, and yes it all worked, and only at that very moment were they ready to commit to C3D.  I think some of them respected me for that, and think a couple got 'hurt' over my method.   If that is what it takes, then that's what I do.  At the end of the day, those guys may not have liked me, however they can now use C3D, and that means I did my job.  They can like me later.  ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

kevinh

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »

A recent trip to S.D. had me drag three teams of surveyors outside into a blustery snowstorm, to show them that YES line coding can and does work, and that YES I would survey with them to make it happen, and YES they could make it work for them.  After about 45 minutes at -2 we had our data, and yes it all worked, and only at that very moment were they ready to commit to C3D.  I think some of them respected me for that, and think a couple got 'hurt' over my method.   If that is what it takes, then that's what I do.  At the end of the day, those guys may not have liked me, however they can now use C3D, and that means I did my job.  They can like me later.  ;-)

-2 weather??  Where were you when it was 42 degrees BELOW???  Are you still planning on a trip to SD (Feb17-20, 2009)?  Is the class booked solid yet?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »
Welcome to theswamp!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »

-2 weather??  Where were you when it was 42 degrees BELOW???  Are you still planning on a trip to SD (Feb17-20, 2009)?  Is the class booked solid yet?

I was home in AZ snow boarding.   :wink:

That trip is still on, I await confirmation that it has been extended to 2 (two) weeks.  You folks want to schedule a couple of days, or join the class?  Contact Rodney, for the class information.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »
Welcome to theswamp friend! Southeast Missouri ie - Cape Girardeau? I grew up in Northeast Mo. north of St. Louis about an hour and a half.

Bakerman

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »
I'm about 75 miles from Cape. I have an apartment in the "large" town of Pilot Knob. The project is near Lesterville, MO. Here is a link that tells a little about the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sauk_pumped_storage_plant

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
I'm about 75 miles from Cape. I have an apartment in the "large" town of Pilot Knob. The project is near Lesterville, MO. Here is a link that tells a little about the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sauk_pumped_storage_plant

dam

failure

damn :wink:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
Hehehe. You're such a cheeze ball sometimes.

Thanks for the link Bakerman. Very cool.

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 12:25:36 AM »
Welcome to TheSwamp Bakerman.  This is one of the best sources around to unravel a C3D knot.  It appears you are close enough to ol' T-Bear that you should be able to smell his pipe tobacco.  I am in the opposite corner of the State in Kansas City.  Good luck with the Civil 3D adventure - it is kind of like the wildest carnival ride you could imagine.  I am still grounded from it, but hoping for the chance to do some in home training time in once I have a computer in place with enough HP to do the job.

Bakerman

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 12:24:23 PM »
It appears you are close enough to ol' T-Bear that you should be able to smell his pipe tobacco.

I'm a cigar smoker, myself, but I purchased a couple of pipes and some tobacco and I'm giving it a try. I still prefer the cigars. Maybe I can get a couple of pointers on the pipe thing from ol' T-Bear.  :-)

Bakerman

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »

I posted the previous link showing the old dam so I think showing what's going on now would be appropriate. This was from the end of November but because of the cold weather it would be about the same now.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 04:41:57 PM by Bakerman »