Author Topic: Fields in Layout Tab Names?  (Read 3045 times)

Avanti

Fields in Layout Tab Names?
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:03:46 AM »
I'd really like to put a field in the names on my Layout Tabs, but I'm not a programmer so I don't even know where to begin.  I'm sure it can be done but it'll take help from someone a lot sharper than me.  :|

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Fields in Layout Tab Names?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:20 AM »
I am not sure you can put a field on the layout tab, but you can easily modify the tab name with a reactor based on the value a field might have.

Lets presume that you want the field to be the area of a hatch ... there are several ways to accomplish this

Set a reactor to fire whenever the drawing is issued a regen

Your reactor will find the hatch in question, return the area, formulate the string and update the layout tab

Of course identifying the hatch might be an issue, so the next alternative might be to set a dictionary value in the drawing that contains the handle of the hatch. It will make identification of the hatch simple, but not foolproof.

I think it could be done, but there would have to be some serious error checking

Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:15:21 AM »
What data are you wanting to link to the layout name?

Avanti

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »
We number our pages 1 OF X, with X being the total number of pages.  I want to update the total number of pages in one step.  I've done it for my title blocks but I'd love to be able to fix the Layout Tabs at the same time.  Is it possible?

Thanks,
Betty

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »
You could put a custom field in Sheet Set Manager that holds the total number of sheets and then use a field to link to that.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:55 AM »
You could put a custom field in Sheet Set Manager that holds the total number of sheets and then use a field to link to that.

That doesn't change the name of the layout though.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:07 AM »
We number our pages 1 OF X, with X being the total number of pages.  I want to update the total number of pages in one step.  I've done it for my title blocks but I'd love to be able to fix the Layout Tabs at the same time.  Is it possible?
As Keith said, you will need a custom program to programatically change the layout name.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »

That doesn't change the name of the layout though.
True, but it will keep the total number of sheets (unless they add/remove one or more, then that would have to be updated).   :|
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io