Author Topic: Points and descriptors UPDATED a way to scale just points independant of anno tx  (Read 4346 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Back from the lab, the answer is yes one can make a label that is whatever size one wants in the viewport using a(n) expression to control the text size information in the label.  And the answer is yes C3D treats all labels in a(n) annotative fashion as that in theory is one of the good parts of having to work with C3D. (Apologies for any confusion)

However, one might as well just make a style as stated that behaves as desired for this type of plan, map, or exhibit, and put a copy in ones template for later use.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

Mike, I'm not entirely sure what Michael Farrel is saying, but I suspect it might be something like in this thread:

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=26356.0

...where Chris talks about using the "Drawing Scale Conversion" to create an expression like this:

IF({Drawing Scale Conversion}=600,0.1/12,IF({Drawing Scale Conversion}>1100,0.2/12,0.5/12))

The expression is then used for the "Text Height" in the label style component.

(Note that the "Drawing Scale Conversion" is a new feature in C3D 2009, and is not available in earlier versions of C3D.)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Mike, I'm not entirely sure what Michael Farrel is saying, but I suspect it might be something like in this thread:

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=26356.0

...where Chris talks about using the "Drawing Scale Conversion" to create an expression like this:

IF({Drawing Scale Conversion}=600,0.1/12,IF({Drawing Scale Conversion}>1100,0.2/12,0.5/12))

The expression is then used for the "Text Height" in the label style component.

(Note that the "Drawing Scale Conversion" is a new feature in C3D 2009, and is not available in earlier versions of C3D.)

One can do this in previous versions if one is real trcky; and uses a User Defined Property to act as the drawing scale conversion factor.  :wink:

'cause i just tested in it 2008
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

doggarncity

Exactly, the label style is going to control. However the experiments I ran <and there are some issues> so that if one creates an expression for use in the text size variable of the label they can exhibit the 'non' annotative behavior I posted in that other image.

>>runs off to lab to run one more experiment<<

Okay, here is something I tested and it seemed to do what I wanted. I'm working in model space and with the view manager. I have for this experiment done all the work with my dwg and done all my text/general notes etc. I set a view/twist from paperspace to match my viewport in model space at the very beginning of my setting up the dwg. I am only wanting to work on the size of my points not worrying about my symbol for the point. With that in tow, I am changing my dimscale and annoscale in model space only after having recalling my model view from the view manager. I manually set my dimscale/annoscale to a smaller scale than my set view manager model scale. This did what I wanted, for making the point only text smaller, so that if I did get more points to add to my dwg it was easy for me to connect the dots of the new pts added. I also did one additional step.  This appears to maintain my notes and Mlearders to stay in there intended size that would be seen through my viewport, when I work in the saved view in modelspace. So, I have, it seems to solved my problem when I want to make the pts text smaller. When done, I go to the saved view in view manager and set it again and it resets my original dim/annoscale back.

I wouldn't have been to see this without this discussion. Thanks all. I think the key here is setting up the view in model space to match the viewport. When set it appears to hold any label styles I had worked with during a dwg. Then, if I want the pts to be smaller and if I'm adding or not I just go ahead and reset the dim/annoscale to what visiability scale I want, connect the dots and go back to the view manager and call the view back to view I had saved and it recalls my origin dimscale and annoscale turn off my point group visability and go forward. Mind you, this is just for the task of wanting to see points smaller so I can connect or draw more lines.

Thanks Mike F and Sinc

Mike P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:50:29 AM by doggarncity »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
You are welcome,

However please note that there is no need for you to be playing connect the dots within C3D for survey lines.

And you are still working WAY to hard to accomplish what simply setting up the proper label styles would do for you.  The CADD Manager inside me is so glad we don't work together..... :roll:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

doggarncity

You are welcome,

However please note that there is no need for you to be playing connect the dots within C3D for survey lines.

And you are still working WAY to hard to accomplish what simply setting up the proper label styles would do for you.  The CADD Manager inside me is so glad we don't work together..... :roll:

Hi Mike
   On one side I would like to thank you for your help. I do find most of your posting helpful. But, on the other side of your Gestapo attitude you really are a power broker with a bad attitude. You could use a vacation from, I'm God of Cad with the zingers. You would be better serving here helping with sharing your knowledge with a smile instead of a look down upon the poor souls who don't have the resources to keep up with all the latest on cad. It would be nice if we all had the time to be our best. God knows all here are trying that is why we are here.

Be at peace brother
Mike P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:26:19 AM by doggarncity »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Mike, please understand that your perception of me, and what I do here is completely upsidedown.

If I were a powerbroker, as you suggest, I wouldn't continue to help you.  Part of why I attempt to give back to the cad community is that I know I should, that having the time to learn, and or the knowledge at hand and not sharing it would be terribly selfish.  I have found that the handiest tool for learning the new features in cad, was an open mind and willingness to let go of old habits.  To not be so vested in the process that one is unable to do the task from another perspective goes a long way towards mastering the new.

I hear your struggles and complaints of lack of cad standards, and yet you do not want to standardize your practices so that it would be easier for your users to follow them, good luck on that.

Rest assured however, that I do not consider myself a cad god, notice that I focus on one area primarily?  I do not try to be a lisp guru, or a dynamic block head.  In truth my knowledge isn't that great, however I do know that what I know works in the real world.  I too am here to learn, perhaps my lesson and you cant teach me, is to find a way to make sure that the letters that sum into the words that I use, don't somehow get taken offensively when the initial desire was to be of assistance.  Mike, it isn't personal, I've been helping you for how long through the internet?  Really if it were; I would have stopped answering any post of yours years ago.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

doggarncity

Mike, please understand that your perception of me, and what I do here is completely upsidedown.

If I were a powerbroker, as you suggest, I wouldn't continue to help you.  Part of why I attempt to give back to the cad community is that I know I should, that having the time to learn, and or the knowledge at hand and not sharing it would be terribly selfish.  I have found that the handiest tool for learning the new features in cad, was an open mind and willingness to let go of old habits.  To not be so vested in the process that one is unable to do the task from another perspective goes a long way towards mastering the new.

I hear your struggles and complaints of lack of cad standards, and yet you do not want to standardize your practices so that it would be easier for your users to follow them, good luck on that.

Rest assured however, that I do not consider myself a cad god, notice that I focus on one area primarily?  I do not try to be a lisp guru, or a dynamic block head.  In truth my knowledge isn't that great, however I do know that what I know works in the real world.  I too am here to learn, perhaps my lesson and you cant teach me, is to find a way to make sure that the letters that sum into the words that I use, don't somehow get taken offensively when the initial desire was to be of assistance.  Mike, it isn't personal, I've been helping you for how long through the internet?  Really if it were; I would have stopped answering any post of yours years ago.

Mike F.
   I'm asking you to cut this kind of comment, because it is personel "CADD Manager inside me is so glad we don't work together..... " I don't like it as it is demeaning and flatly I don't like your way of communicating your point. Understand that!

Mike

mjfarrell

• Seagull
Me thinks you are the one that started calling persons The Gestapo.   :police:

In most cases I am not making any POINT, I am trying to answer peoples questions.
Stop reading into my answers what isn't in there.  Really...try decaff or something.

When I read the description of all the steps involved to perform the task at hand, no one will follow THAT as a standard.
If you place the text size with your label style ANYONE will be able to follow the standard.  The choice is yours.

What ever 'other' point you are getting it isn't in there. 

Do you post questions only to get an answer?
Or do you want to really gain from the exchange of information and acquire knowledge?
The preceding are rhetorical in nature, the answer is for you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell