Author Topic: Can I turn off dynamic grips  (Read 9582 times)

ELOQUINTET

Can I turn off dynamic grips
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
I have developed dynamic blocks for wallcases and each of them can have three heights. I have copied these blocks three times and stretched the heights so all variations are being presented and am now considering a way of turning the grips off so they are no longer appear dynamic but I want the ability to toggle them back on for editing later. I know I could lock them by blocking them again but I don't want to have to create additional blocks for this. Does anyone know of a way I can turn the grips off for selected dynamic blocks?

ELOQUINTET

Re: Can I turn off dynamic grips
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:47:35 AM »
For a visual of what I'm talking about see attachment. The only difference between the cases on the left and on the right is that I went into the block editor, selected the linear stretch then went to properties and set grips to 0. I would like to be able to select multiple blocks and acheive this result. How hard would this be to achieve?

quamper

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:00:54 AM »
you could make a visual state where the grips aren't visible?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
I think you are saying I can create a visibility state and while that is an interesting thought I don't think I really want to go that route for a couple of reasons:

I don't want to give the option of unlocking it.
I was just playing with it and it gets confusing when I need to make revisions as far as making sure new graphics appear in both states.

I would rather just be able to toggle the grip from 1 to 0 and vice versa in multiple blocks

Thanks for the suggestion though.

quamper

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
I think you are saying I can create a visibility state and while that is an interesting thought I don't think I really want to go that route for a couple of reasons:

I don't want to give the option of unlocking it.
I was just playing with it and it gets confusing when I need to make revisions as far as making sure new graphics appear in both states.

I would rather just be able to toggle the grip from 1 to 0 and vice versa in multiple blocks

Thanks for the suggestion though.

The example blocks of yours have predefined heights. You could just always set them via the properties and not have the grip at all?

Whats the reason?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »
I'm not sure I follow you but I want to be able to use a single block and stretch it to the different heights. Perhaps it will make more sense to you if I show the complete scope of the job. See attached drawing

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:34:53 AM »
....now considering a way of turning the grips off so they are no longer appear dynamic but I want the ability to toggle them back on for editing later.
I have to ask the question.. WHY?  :?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

quamper

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »
I'm not sure I follow you but I want to be able to use a single block and stretch it to the different heights. Perhaps it will make more sense to you if I show the complete scope of the job. See attached drawing

I gotcha so you don't really know the height since you are using the lines as references.

I was just meaning that in your properties pallete or quick properties you can set your distance parameter without using grips from your predefined sizes.  But yeah that may not make sense based on your overall scope.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
well matt this grid is inserted into our planners drawing for planning stores and even though I am using a single block for multiple occurances I am still showing every variation in the grid so the end user doesn't really need to modify them. There are combinations that can never happen so I don't really want to give them the chance to screw it up. If they need a different height they will most likely go back to the grid and get the other height, not stretch it using the grip. We have just recently upgraded from 2002 to 2007 and this is for most people the first time they have ever seen a dynamic block. I have primarily introduced dynamic blocks into this grid to make it easier for me to manage and revise them not for the end user. Does that make sense?

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 12:04:57 PM »
Quamper I do know the heights. The lines running across it are reference lines for me to check my work because I was creating a block for each type and incorporating the 2 or three height ranges into that block then copying them down while adjusting the heights. Then once I verified the heights were correct I built the combinations on the left side. As you can imagine, It is very easy to copy the into the wrong square so this is how I checked myself. I publish this drawing in our library and one of the things I really want to protect against is someone gaining access and modifying the heights. Make sense?

quamper

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
So could you get by without the grips at all?

In the attached screen shot you can see that on your example where you turned of the grips you can still set the height via the properties pallette. In fact if you've got multiple blocks with the same parameter you can set them all at the same time via that method.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
Very interesting idea. I'm not sure if I will want to lock these or not but I would probably go this route if I were to choose between the different methods. Thanks for the suggestion.

whdjr

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »
Hey Dan,

What you need to do is set up a Lookup instead of using the dimension to adjust the height.  I have attached a dwg using your block as an example, but here is how you would do it.  Insert a lookup and add the dimension to the lookup.  Set up the heights you want and then label them in the lookup.  Then the lookup is done.  Now go into the properties of the dimension and set the 'Dyst type' to 'none' and set the 'Number of Grips' to '0'.  Now the block will be locked to those 2 heights.  If you wanted to still make it adjustable just set the 'Number of Grips' to '1' and you get your 2 heights and the ability to stretch it more if you want too.

Hope this helps,

quamper

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
Hey Dan,

What you need to do is set up a Lookup instead of using the dimension to adjust the height.  I have attached a dwg using your block as an example, but here is how you would do it.  Insert a lookup and add the dimension to the lookup.  Set up the heights you want and then label them in the lookup.  Then the lookup is done.  Now go into the properties of the dimension and set the 'Dyst type' to 'none' and set the 'Number of Grips' to '0'.  Now the block will be locked to those 2 heights.  If you wanted to still make it adjustable just set the 'Number of Grips' to '1' and you get your 2 heights and the ability to stretch it more if you want too.

Hope this helps,

You don't actually need the Lookup unless you are trying to change multiple parameters at once. In this case since all you are doing is changing the height simply making the height parameter (Distance1 or whatever it is currently called) to Number of Grips to 0 and show properties yes (which is the default and one good reason to name your properties) and in your Value list set your valid choices which you've already done.

In this case the lookup just adds an extra step. However it does make a lot of sense if you were trying to combine multiple options into set valid styles. For instance only certain heights & widths are allowable together.

whdjr

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »
You don't actually need the Lookup unless you are trying to change multiple parameters at once. In this case since all you are doing is changing the height simply making the height parameter (Distance1 or whatever it is currently called) to Number of Grips to 0 and show properties yes (which is the default and one good reason to name your properties) and in your Value list set your valid choices which you've already done.

I don't understand what your trying to say here.  He asked for it to be non editable and that is what I provided.