Author Topic: dimension text override program help  (Read 2610 times)

ELOQUINTET

dimension text override program help
« on: October 01, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »
well mark i see that the dimension override proggie wasn't in show your stuff and i can't find the post. i can't post it either as you made it a vlx. anyway my question is is there a way to modify it so it adds the text to all dimensions with a single ok. i just added a.f.f. to abou 50 dimensions and it sure would have been nice to be able to say ok once and be done ouch my poor achin finger  :lol:  i love this program by the way sweeeeeet

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »
A dimension override programme may not be needed.

Try the 'newtext' command.
Enter dim then newtext.

You can add whatever you need to the dimension text and then select what dimension you want updated.

ie.

Dim
Newtext
<> A.F.F
All

Hope this helps... :D
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »
that's interesting spdcad wasn't aware of that command but mark has already written this routine. if i was to  use your method would there be a way to have the cursor follow the <> in other words so i could type the text as a suffix rather than prefix. regardless it's always cool to learn something new thanks

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 02:51:16 PM »
With the 'newtext' command text can be placed before or after the dimension as long as <> is used to get the actual dimension.  In release 2005 when you type in ‘newtext’ AutoCad brings up the mtext dialog box, and you can edit the text just like you were using mtext.

Just give mtext a try you will see what you can add to the dimension line
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 02:57:19 PM »
no i mean i always add the text as suffixes but the cursor always appears before the carats i want it after so i can just start typing away.

CADaver

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 03:13:51 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
no i mean i always add the text as suffixes but the cursor always appears before the carats i want it after so i can just start typing away.
i'm not sure what you mean, the NEWTEXT command will replace the text in ALL the selected dims at once.  

When you enter the DIM1 NEWTEXT command it prompts you to select objects, you get all the ones to which you wish to add the suffix.  Then key-in

<> MYSUFFIX

and it will add MYSUFFIX to every selected dim.

It does need to be in the back either, it can be anywhere, The <> indicate the measured distance

THIS LINE IS <> LONG

3 SPACES AT 12" = <>

<>\X(TYP.)

OMIT HR\X<>

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:28:10 PM »
iyiyi i know how dimensions are formatted was just wondering if it is possible to have the cursor jump to the end automatically. i can just press the end key it's not a huge deal

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 04:43:59 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
iyiyi i know how dimensions are formatted was just wondering if it is possible to have the cursor jump to the end automatically. i can just press the end key it's not a huge deal
Took me a minute to understand just what in the heck you were talkin' about.  A very long time ago I banged out a little macro for making newtext, and it doesn't pop a dialog box, so I couldn't figure out just what cursor was jumping to the end of what.  Then I finally keyed-in the command longhand and saw the EditText dialog pop up -lightbulb-.

BTW, the right arrow key works just as well as the end key in the EditText window.