Author Topic: (C3D '09) Line Labels: adding text  (Read 2701 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
(C3D '09) Line Labels: adding text
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:17:27 AM »
I think I've asked this question before but ... is there a way to add text to a line label? For instance, we are required to show the plat dimension w/ the measured dimension on our surveys.

S 89°17'32" E 209.90(M) 210.0(P)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: (C3D '09) Line Labels: adding text
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:24:51 AM »
Yes, you can either edit the note label after it is placed to add the Record data. Or... you can add expressions to the labels, or.

We used to actually draw the record data, and place it on a non plotting layer EXCEPT for the label, and then you will have a label on both the Record and Measured lines.  It's a little interesting at first but it works.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:32:10 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
This is again another item where it's handy to have a double-click action in the CUI, so you can double-click on labels to edit them.  If it has multiple components, you must also pick the component after you double-click on the label, which is really obnoxious.

It's strange.  There's really not much difference, but for some reason, double-click seems more-intuitive than right-click, "Edit Label Text"...

The big problem, though, is that there is no way to get data entered this way into a table.  So if you want to create a line table that shows your measured and record distance, you have a problem.

Dinosaur

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:35:50 AM »
Be advised though, I always lost any added annotation to my line labels if their geometry changed.  They would revert back to the basic labels style assigned to the line and the desired annotation had to be entered again.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »
The big problem, though, is that there is no way to get data entered this way into a table.  So if you want to create a line table that shows your measured and record distance, you have a problem.
And that would be why we did both sets of lines...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:47:43 PM »
Be advised though, I always lost any added annotation to my line labels if their geometry changed.  They would revert back to the basic labels style assigned to the line and the desired annotation had to be entered again.

I think Autodesk "sort of fixed" that problem.  You can move the line around, and it does not kill the override text.  However, there are many things that still kill the override text, such as changing the label style.

There is also a horrendously nasty problem that can arise when editing Parcels (which may only happen if you use Polylines to create the Parcels, or it might happen all the time - I'll have to do more experimentation to find out).  You can really see this problem if you label your parcel, then convert a couple of the labels to tags.  If you then perform any edits to your Parcel, such as adding or deleting segments to your Parcel, the tag labels will "jump" to adjacent segments.

Parcel Labels are horrendously problematic.  It is very disturbing.  This thread was actually very timely, because I was in the process of printing out mylars of a recent plat (three copies - don't ask why they need so many mylars).  I had just finished, and then remembered I had done just this sort of edit to some Parcel labels on this plat.  So I checked the mylars, and sure enough, those edits were GONE.  Thank you again, C3D.  So, I got to spend 15 minutes going through and re-adding the text overrides, then reprinting three mylars, and throwing away three bad (and expensive) mylar prints.

This sort of things is WAY too common with C3D.  And we now have very serious doubts about Autodesk's ability to fix all these problems, since they are so darn slow to do ANYTHING....   :-P

ChristopherF

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
I've been experimenting with adding a Description value to the Parcel Segment and then adding <[Description(CP)]> to the label to get the description to show up in the label. The Description isn't a value that is available by default in the label. Not sure how robust the work around is though.

Christopher
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://style.civil3dreminders.com/intermittentblockoftheday/

I think I've asked this question before but ... is there a way to add text to a line label? For instance, we are required to show the plat dimension w/ the measured dimension on our surveys.

S 89°17'32" E 209.90(M) 210.0(P)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:51:44 AM »
I've been experimenting with adding a Description value to the Parcel Segment and then adding <[Description(CP)]>

You are adding that Description value as a(n) Expression to the label if I'm reading that correctly?  Just to clarify for other users where they might do that.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

ChristopherF

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 10:20:08 AM »
Nope, add a value in the description spot in the properties and then type/copy paste the <[Description(CP)]> into the label. It will pull the value from the description of the parcel segment and add it to the label. No expression needed.
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/2008/11/parcel-segment-description.html

I've been experimenting with adding a Description value to the Parcel Segment and then adding <[Description(CP)]>

You are adding that Description value as a(n) Expression to the label if I'm reading that correctly?  Just to clarify for other users where they might do that.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »
Nope, add a value in the description spot in the properties and then type/copy paste the <[Description(CP)]> into the label. It will pull the value from the description of the parcel segment and add it to the label. No expression needed.

That is exactly why I asked you to clarify as other might not have been able to infer where or what you were doing.  It's always best to include all steps in your 'helps' or it just generates another question for the inexperienced users.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell