Author Topic: Suggest ideas to AutoDesk..............  (Read 5446 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Suggest ideas to AutoDesk..............
« on: September 30, 2004, 07:46:29 PM »
As suggested by One Shot...........
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

One Shot

Re: Suggest ideas to AutoDesk..............
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 07:48:40 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas
As suggested by One Shot...........

Mark,

Thank you very much!

t-bear

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 07:56:06 PM »
Voted yes.  They would probably not consider one of MY ideas but.....hey. At least I tried. & who knows, in another couple of releases they just might "discover" this great new way to....whatever.

Dent Cermak

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 08:46:12 PM »
I voted yes. I have already tried and got the basic KMA Autodesk reply.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 12:28:09 AM »
Nah.... I see too many other people wasting their time... besides if I find I need a tool in AutoCAD, I create it.. and guess what ... a few releases later it is there... I figure why give them fodder to make wads of cash..I can see it now ...

Hey...Mr/Ms Autdesk... I think a new "whatzamawidgit" would make a great new feature for AutoCAD in your next release.

First Response
Autodesk ... Thank you for your recent input into the betterment of Autodesk software. We have reviewed your suggestion for adding "whatzamawidgit" to the Autodesk products and find it does not meet with our current business model, however we may revist this in the future.

Next Response
Great news, we have made improvements to our Autodesk product line.
Here at Autodesk our highly trained staff is working hard to come up with new features and improvements that will make your drafting experience better. The key improvements to this release are numerous bug fixes and a new "whatzamawidgit" command. Ths is just an example of how we are striving to continually improve and update our software to meet todays drafting demands.
Please note: Do to the overwhelming interest this new release is expected to generate, we must inform you that your current version will no longer be offered and all current licenses are hereby revoked and for a licensed copy of the new "whatzamawidgit" software, the upgrade fees will be increased to $2200 per seat. Thank you for your continued support.

and here I am thinking... my "whatzamawidgit" that took me maybe 30 minutes to code is now gonna cost me $2200 .. I shoulda kept my damned mouth shut!!!
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Craig Davis

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 03:00:06 AM »
Quote from: Keith
Nah.... I see too many other people wasting their time... besides if I find I need a tool in AutoCAD, I create it.. and guess what ... a few releases later it is there

I've done this a couple of times. I just do a quick fix for now and hope they've debugged it when it's finally released.

hendie

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:11:50 AM »
wot Keith said

CADaver

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 07:36:25 AM »
There are several things that I've added to AutoCAD's wishlist in the past that are now part of the program, like the osnaps "FROM" and "APPINT".  So as long as they provide a forum for asking, I'll continue to do so.

PDJ

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 12:31:44 PM »
HEY!! Keith stole my whatzamawidgit routine!!

It's the one that makes the thingydoodle and the jiggywiggy line up, overlap by .2, inverts the colors and then converts them to a gradient true color!!

You saw it HERE first!!  Umm.. Well, you saw the name of it from that pirate Keith but, you saw the rest right here!!

Hey, donut holes in the break room.. It's 8:30, close enough to break time for me..

Craig

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 12:44:15 PM »
Nope, wouldn't really waste my time typing them a reply. Like others have stated, if it's something I really need I just write it and bypass the expense of a new ACAD seat!

daron

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 01:58:27 PM »
The only thing I haven't seen any of us create yet, is that idea of being able to have multiple users updating the same drawing, similar to how excel does. You guys remember that one? I think ML kept bringing it up over at Cadalog.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 02:21:41 PM »
I've long since given up submitting ideas to Autodesk, after having ideas ignored for years or waiting years for their implementation only to find it completely lame; I'd rather just solve problems / add functionality myself.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 02:50:14 PM »
Daron, I have been a proponent ofo allowing multiple users to edit the same drawing at exactly the same time, essentially a real time whiteboard collaboration... I have given up on that hope, but I have since found that if you utilize desktop sharing in Win2k and XP you can both manipulate the same drawing, only you cannot both be editing at the exact same time.

Kate M

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 03:05:53 PM »
I seem to recall hearing that Map has that multi-person editing capability...maybe they're testing?

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »
Just curious, a question to you guys who refuse to offer suggestions.  Where do you think the bonus/express tools come from, and have for 15 or 16 years?  Most are suggestions made and routine offered by guys just like you.  Some notables have been ATTREDEF, CHTEXT, FIND, FILTER, LAYERWALK, NCOPY, BTRIM, BEXTEND, EXTRIM, FROM, APPINT, and on and on.

I guess I just don't understand.  You guys will spend hours sloggin' out code just cuz' I asked, but then won't take a minute to suggest it to ADESK.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2004, 03:25:53 PM »
I suppose for me it is the thought that Autodesk will take an idea provided by me (or anyone else for that matter) that I have already developed, include a bastardized version of it in future releases, call them their own without giving fair and just compensation or acknowledgment of where the idea (or code) originated from. How many bits of recent code have you seen from Autodesk with their copyright attached, that have been merely re-incarnations of existing code, only re-arranged sufficiently to throw off the unsuspecting....and then they have the balls to charge us for it.... that is my grief...

I seldom spend "hours sloggin' out code" ... if it isn't something that I can do in a few minutes I don't bother unless I need it and cannot find it elsewhere. In reality the most productive code is those short little snippits that do one or two menial tasks.

t-bear

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2004, 03:48:48 PM »
Arctext comes to mind.  I did as builts for a firm in KC some years back that had a beautiful arstext lisp back in R11. You compare that to Adesks and they're so close it's scarey.  Adesk "gave" us their ver in R14.......wonder where they got the idea.

(thinkin)  Maybe I should change my vote......

CADaver

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2004, 04:32:39 PM »
I guess it could be that I don't write enough code to worry about "credit" for it.  I don't care who wrote it or where it comes from as long as it works. I don't write code for a living (though it is part of the job description), so whether or not I get credit for it is unimportant to me.