Author Topic: Survey Figure Codes  (Read 5592 times)

sinc

Re: Survey Figure Codes
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:56 PM »
Autodesk has been slowly improving the editing of Survey Figures, and from 2007 to 2008 to 2009, each year lets us do a little bit more.

But by far the fastest/easiest way to fix some linework or point coding errors is to go back to the raw data, change it there, and then reimport the FBK file.  There is an option in the import settings for resetting the network each time the FBK file is imported; we set that, so the last run is automatically deleted each time we import the FBK file.

When the field guy doesn't make any mistakes, it's pretty slick.  We dump a CSV file out of the data collector, run it through the Perl script to create the FBK, then dump the FBK into C3D, and we're basically done (except for labeling, title page stuff, details, legends, etc.).  But if the field guy really screws things up (as often happens when we get a new guy, and he goes out to do this the first time), it can take a fair bit of time to clean things up.  At the moment, though, all our guys pretty much have the process down and our current procedure is working rather well.  That's probably why we haven't tried to purchase something like Stringer or Mapworks yet.

tcopeland

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
I appreciate all of the help with this, I am hoping that we can get all of this set up correctly, or close to correct, that way we won't have to purchase any 3rd Party products.  If we can get our surveyors trained using the new coding I think we will be okay.  :lmao:  I needed a good laugh.

Sorry for that, I did check to see if I had the import settings changed like you had said and I did have that box checked to YES.  I might be doing something else wrong, but for right know I will go through the process of changing the info in the text file and then recreate the fbk file and reimporting it.

Us rookies have to start some where and the bottom is as good as it gets, I just want to get it close to being right the first time.  I will eventually get to your Perl script and I know that will help speed things up.

Thanks again,

tcopeland

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
Is there a software that can read a fbk file other than Autodesk for editing or viewing the fbk file?

sinc

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 06:16:13 PM »
FBK files are just text files.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »
notepad will open and edit a FBK

Points group management is still a viable work method in C3D.
Set up the groups to assign the desired point style, and label style in the DWT, then when you insert points into the drawing they automatically populate your groups, and assume the correct styles.
Also one can place a dummy surface in the DWT as well that load the correct points groups to be used in the surface construction.  Again when the point groups are updated, the surface can then be 'rebuilt' and you surface model will be near done except for adding the figures defined as break lines in the fig prefs, and you will be near done.

The real issue with line coding as a FBK process IMO is that most firms do not have the field crew process their own data.  They then commit some small procedural errors, like not ending figures, etc and then the data MUST be edited in the office by people whom never saw the site, frankly a bad idea.  The preferred method is to have the surveyor that shot the data process the FBK, and observe the results of his collection process, within a few weeks the quality of the data will approach 100% accuracy as to the line work.  If however they do not see what happens from what they do in the field, the 'mistakes' will continue and one will begin to believe that it is a myth that line work from the field will be correct.  Trust me it can be near perfect, IF they process their own field work.

There is a valid reason the survey figures are hard to edit in C3D, we may not like, however editing the figures in cad, is nearly the same as ERASING entries in the old paper fieldbook, and we all know that one should NEVER erase in a Field Book, for legal reasons.
So you edit the FBK in C3D, and re import, or you create a new figure to replace the BAD one, just like lining out an erroneous entry in your old paper books.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:17 PM »
A few comments:

We prefer to use the Description Keys to assign Point Styles, rather than Point Groups.  Then the Point Groups group things at a higher level, such as "Utilities" or "Water Points" or "Pavement" or whatever.  Too many Point Groups get annoying, so we try to keep our Point Group count down.

The idea of having the field crew process the data is good in theory, but it may not work so well in practice.  First off, not all field surveyors are particularly good with computers.  Then there is the incredible learning curve in C3D, and the fact that if the field surveyor is not using C3D on a very regular basis, he forgets how to do anything.  It is not financially worth our while to have our high-dollar field crews sitting in the office spinning their wheels with C3D.

What has proven effective for us, though, is to have the field guy sit there and watch as I import the field data.  Then he gets to see some of the issues.  Within the first few tries, our field guys are typically good enough that it only takes some minor cleanup to get the data processed.  Usually, 20 minutes is the absolute most amount of time it takes, and that's when the field guy made a LOT of mistakes.  Simply sitting there and watching the process helps the field guy understand the issues, without forcing the poor guy to suffer C3D.

And I really do not agree with erasing stuff in C3D being the same as erasing in the field book.  We regularly send drawings to others, and having lots of "bad" linework in there along with the good is usually asking for problems.  Not to mention, the most-common errors are usually things like mixed-up string numbers, such as when the field guy is collecting EOA1 and EOA2 along a road, and accidentally codes one of the EOA1 shots as an EOA2 shot.  This causes a nasty jog in the linework, but it is a very obvious error, and there is no reason to keep that bad linework in the drawing.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »
I can see that your sit down sessions most likely solves most of the obvious collection blunders. No argument against that.
I've just found that many do much better with a more hands on approach.  Your method probably saves a lot of those guys some serious frustration.  However when they can and do process the data in the field prior to leaving the job, there is efficiency gained in not needing to go back to get what was missed.  I'm sure there is a trade off of cost benefit in the short term that is repaid in the long term in having them do so.

The figures are of course easily edited in the FBK file and then reimporting them cleans that up, an one would always have the original Raw data file should a legal need arise to validate the field efforts.  And I am not saying that it wouldn't be nice if there wasn't a way to 'unlock' a figure so that it could be adjusted, and then 'locking' after, much as one can lock points.  However you know I'm not too keen on 'wish list items', I'd rather focus on getting the functions that don't to work.  Or some that work poorly to work better.  So I'll keep my 'wish list' items for Santa to fulfill.  ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 08:25:56 AM »
Yeah, but one of our field guys still gets confused when he opens a web browser - in fact, I just had to explain to him the difference between typing something in the URL bar in the browser, and typing something in the SEARCH box at Yahoo or MSN.  He didn't realize they were two different things.

Now take that, and move it to C3D.  It's a disaster.

Another of our field guys has a real "short term memory" phenomenon.  He'll try to do something in C3D, and I'll show him how to do it, and he'll do it (slowly, but he'll get it done).  Then the next time he has to do the same task, he's completely forgotten how to do it, and I have to show him how to do it all over again.  This repeats ad naseum.  He also has a tendency to ignore warning messages.  Recently, he opened a drawing in C3D 2008, and sat there for I-don't-know-how-long before he got help, to try and figure out why nothing was working.  By the time he got help, the drawing was corrupted, and I got to spend a half-hour trying to get it working again (which I was luckily able to do).

Since it seriously only takes us 15 minutes to process field data these days, it really is not worth it to our company to try and get the field guys to use C3D.  Even if we discount all the hours of training it takes to get them so they can even do simple tasks in C3D, it's not worth it, for the amount of time it takes to process field data.  Having them sit there for 15 minutes and watch a real C3D tech process the data is far more beneficial - they see whatever problems we run into, learn the mistakes they made, learn why we ask them to do certain things certain ways, and the next time they do a field survey, it's even better.

We're now to the point where a couple of our field guys pretty much have it down.  They can go out and do a field survey, and I can process the data, and BOOM it's all done, in less than five minutes.  Usually, they don't even sit there and watch anymore, although they will look at the result and make sure it looks OK.  (Then I spend maybe anywhere between one-half to six more hours doing the labeling, title pages, notes, etc., depending on the size of the survey, but the field guy doesn't need to see me do that.)

tcopeland

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »
Is there a software that can read a fbk file other than Autodesk for editing or viewing the fbk file?

I should have given more detail as to why I was wanting to use another software for editing the fbk file.  I have been trying to use the edit field book command in C3D, but the problem is that it doesn't want to update the survey when I re import the data file.  The only way that I can get the survey to come back incorrectly is to go in and edit the COPIED RAW file convert that to a fbk file and then re import the file.

I do have the check box selected that would erase the survey points, reset the network, delete network figures, insert figure objects & insert survey points.  Is there something else that I could be missing?

Update: I shut my computer down yesterday and that must have fixed the problems I had earlier.  I am able to edit the field book within C3D, re import the fbk file and it is actually drawing the line work.  Whether it is correct or not is a nother topic.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:49:12 AM by mtc49 »