Author Topic: How do you issue your drawings?  (Read 4045 times)

hyposmurf

How do you issue your drawings?
« on: September 28, 2004, 06:02:21 PM »
We usually issue in DWG format,sometimes use PDF documents.The etransmit way means your client will have all the files he needs to plot the files,but I just find it messy way to issue drawings.It will bundle all your DWG files together with your additional CAD files,but alot of non CAD proficient clients are just going to get dammed confused looking at that.Ive taken to using etransmit,then seperating the DWG files out from the additional CAD files.That way a client can look at his DWG files and if hes clued up enough or sends them to his CAD department for printing he'll have everything he needs.You can also create a exe file,but I personally dont like the idea of receiving something thats self extracting,would rather set it up myself,so I dont send them.
I ran out of options in the poll wouldve liked to have DWF and DWG seperate. :roll:

TR

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 06:32:59 PM »
It's up to the customer for us. Some want dwgs, some want pdfs, some want tifs (for what reason I don't know) and the rest get dwfs if they don't specify a file format they want emailed. However customers only get electronic copies if they request it on the purchase order, otherwise they get hard copies only.

whdjr

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 06:35:43 PM »
All Hardcopies here.
We don't release cad files for liability reasons, and because we spent all the time and money to produce them.  We don't want some subcontractor copying our work and then blaming us because it didn't work.

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 06:38:48 PM »
All our clients own the DWGs, that's what they get.  We use Etransmit, and strip out much of the extra stuff.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 08:21:57 PM »
We send hard copies as a rule,  occasionally we send a PDF, DWF, or DWG .. it all depends upon the client. But I would suspect for most electronic transmittals we use PDF.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 08:58:54 PM »
Generally DWG, sometimes flattened DWGs (3D -> 2D, xrefs bound etc)*, sometimes PDF.

*We are paid to deliver what THEY want, not what I / we might think is better.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Craig

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:36:05 PM »
Hardcopies here unless the ask for the electronic files as well. If so we etransmit them to the client

t-bear

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 10:07:53 PM »
Hard copies.  Electronic only upon prior agreement.

hendie

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 03:16:48 AM »
DWF only. simple .. no hassle... end of story

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 07:59:45 AM »
Dwg's on CD's.  Usually, 2 or 3 cd's are created and they include more than just drawings.  All project related documents in their own directories.  A copy of the CD stays with us, and a copy goes to the client with hard copies.  If they need one, they get an additional copy for archival purposes.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 09:21:08 AM »
My preference in this order
Hard copies
PDF
DWG

Most of my clients can only deal with paper or pdf files.
I do send dwg to the survey company and to two general contractors who
have ACAD in house.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 10:29:58 AM »
Unless an electronic copy is requested hard copies only are released.

If an electronic copy is requested, we ask the client for the format (either dwg, plt or pdf).
That is my current work place procedure.

My personal belief,  never release dwg files to a client or anyone else you don’t trust.
Been burned to many times, where the client gets the dwgs and then runs with them to another architect.  Then the client forgets to pay us, and we have to go to court over the issue.
On that note I only send drawings in plt or pdf format. Yes I know both can be converted back to CAD :(, but atleast I made the client work for them :),
and any other architect which may receive my drawings is going to hate working on them.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

M-dub

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 10:59:56 AM »
I should elaborate...
I work for an engineering firm who, in most cases, receives drawings from the clients to modify.  If not, we have their borders and we generate the drawings from scratch.  When complete, the drawings are their property, so electronic files are sent to them as well.

megamike

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 02:03:49 PM »
Hardcopies, PDF's if electronic is requested. We also provide jpeg's of our presentation type drawings if requested.

Jassper

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 03:47:16 PM »
:)   We Are the Client!   :)

County Government ya know... I get e-transmitted cd's of everything.

Now - If I need to send it out to someone - then we do pdf. We don't send our cad files.

Little