Author Topic: AutoCAD test questions  (Read 11721 times)

VerticalMojo

AutoCAD test questions
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:35:44 PM »
I guess I will start it.......

1. What is the difference between Xref attachment and overlay?

2. Explain Paper Space?

To make this interesting the next person may state 2 questions but needs to answer the previous questions..... ha, this will be fun.

ELOQUINTET

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:45:09 PM »
change all instances of 1/2" clear tempered glass to 1/4" clear tempered glass. (answer: find command)

we had to add an additional sheet to our set of drawings. as our titleblock is formatted as such sheet number total sheets the total attribute must be updated. (answer:gatte)

just a couple i might ask

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 01:06:44 PM »
Since Dan answered his own questions I'll answer VM's

1) Attached xrefs are visible in subsequent xref'd drawings while ovelays are not .. i.e.
Attach A to B Attach or Overlay B to C you will see A
Overlay A on B Attach or Overlay B to C you WILL NOT see A

2) The space that represents the view of a drawing that would be displayed on a paper plot, as opposed to the space where the drawing of the model resides, hence PAPER space and MODEL space

Now .....
Ok..I'll have to word this in a way that you will understand, but not give away the answer ...
3. Assume you have a 3x3 grid (actual dimensions are irrelevant) in model space with 9 equal areas. How would you handle placing an attributed block in all of the grids, yet only have one attribute?

4. How would you globally change the style of every dimension in the drawing from one predefined dimstyle to another predefined dimstyle?
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 01:09:05 PM »
You guys realize if you post all the answers it becomes a simple thing for candidates to "go to the swamp" before an interview.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

ELOQUINTET

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 01:19:04 PM »
well if they come here then they prolly don't need to worry about it now do they

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 01:28:26 PM »
If they call themselves autocad experts and are not, they probably don't have the expertise to find the swamp and get anything useful from the posts here...

hendie

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 01:44:21 PM »
I would ask one really obscure question about  some useless or little known variable ~ and watch and see if anyone actually uses the Help files !

M-dub

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 02:10:35 PM »
This could be very useful for us in the very near future.  With Whodo's departure from our company, I just heard a question the boss asked our other CAD girl.  "Would you rather have someone who knows CAD or someone who knows I/E?"
Answer: Someone who knows CAD!
I think we've got to come up with a standard CAD Test for all future CAD employees.  We've just had far too many bad experiences in the past (they don't make it past their 3 month trial period though).

VerticalMojo

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 03:04:32 PM »
Does anybody know the answer to Keiths questions?

M-dub

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 03:06:54 PM »
4. How would you globally change the style of every dimension in the drawing from one predefined dimstyle to another predefined dimstyle?

Don't use dims too often, but my guess would be to change the current dimstyle then Update?

PDJ

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 03:55:45 PM »
I actually applied at one place where they gave a test to 5 of us at the same time.  There were drafting tests like draw a star and it had a dimension of 1" on one of the flat parts..  Then they had a spiral you had to draw, start with two vertical lines and make them spiral in.. There was also a dimensioning task to see how well you did that.  and also a couple of geometric shapes where you had to create a view of it given two other views.  Then there was also the question and answer part, both multiple guess and fill in the blank.  It took over 2 hours for the test.  

They finally got back to me like 2 weeks laterto ask for references, then 2 weeks after that they asked if I was still interested. I guess it took them a while to grade it..

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 04:11:11 PM »
Well were you still interested?

Trev

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 01:15:27 AM »
Most of the time, it's the basic questions that would need to be asked.
1. (as mentioned)  difference between overlay & attached
2. difference between bylayer & byblock
3. anything to do with the 'filter' command.
4. anything to do with attributes. ie:global edits etc.
5. UCS views
6. viewports & the freezing off layers within viewports.
7. difference between frozen & off
8. scales: how do you show on the same drawing to details of different scales yet have the linetypes show the same.

It's surprising how many cad users (& I use the term lightly) don't know the very basics, so chuck in a few basic questions like the above and you can measure by their responses of their competency and can maybe ask harder questions also.

I like Hendie's one about a setvar change, and see who looks up the help file to find the correct answer.
Not to be taken that the help file looker doesn't know, but that the help file looker is competent to recognise and find answers.

PDJ

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 01:13:50 PM »
I was interested but, already working somewhere else.. The big thing was one of thier two requirements..  They listen to Jazz music which was fine with me but, the second requirement required a tie being worn.. That was kinda scary.  Most of the job would've been working with 3D Studio Viz but, oh well.. That's long behind me now..

t-bear

AutoCAD test questions
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »
A TIE?!?  (shudder!)  Nothin goes 'roun' this neck 'til the catch me ......