Author Topic: Titleblock mis-behaving.  (Read 6516 times)

Skeeps

Titleblock mis-behaving.
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »
Created a titleblock with attributes with the help of Bad Tink and have everything set up just how we like it. However first time importing it in and aload of text goes italic. Thats not right.
It was set to RomanS. Does this mean that within the new drawing I was trying to import my titleblock into is RomanS set up different?
 I don't want this to happen how can I keep all text uniform same size same font?

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Re: Titleblock mis-behaving.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:56:11 AM »
Just a thought Skeeps

Is the text style RomanS set as italic, or is a font style name in the titleblock the same as one defined in the drawing?
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Skeeps

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:20:19 AM »
I had a look and did some experiments with text styles I think all I have to do is create the text for my title block in our own text style setup. It was defaulting to what ever the new drawing RomanS style had been set to. So potiently that could mean all the text from the new titleblock could have this problem.

Thanks for mentioning the phase 'text styles' that set me off.

I've explored text styles, but couldn't work out what the difference was between them and simple font styles. I guess it's too standardise drawings in the workplace.

Brill! :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
A style, is autocad-speak for a name one assigns to a formatted font.
When one defines a STYLE one is essentially naming a standard format for text,
as in use font simplex, use a 0.80 width factor, be annotative, or not, use an obliqued angle.
One would do well to think of text styles really, as text formats.
Fonts on the otherhand are or can be copyrighted FORMS of the various letters and symbols
contained in that particular typeface.  A common type face is the venerable Times Roman,
this particular font can come in many different formats (styles in autocad) BOLD, italicized, however
the text is display it's font name remains Times New Roman.

STYLE=Format
FONT=the shape of the letters and symbols
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
I had a look and did some experiments with text styles I think all I have to do is create the text for my title block in our own text style setup. It was defaulting to what ever the new drawing RomanS style had been set to. So potiently that could mean all the text from the new titleblock could have this problem.
So to avoid this go back into your block & rename all of the text styles to have say, title as their start.. i.e. RomanS would become TitleRomanS... this will hopefully not be duplicated in any drawing you insert it into so the styles won't divert to the model drawing's settings.

Skeeps

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
great responses. Had to concentrate reading yours tho mjfarrell (simple lass y'know). But it all makes sense. I've called my new style as WBS - The company I work for. It has no refernce in the title to the font. I also found that if I have the properties bar open I can click a bit of text in the block editor and change it's style in the properties dialogue box. It doesn't change the font. Yet ...if your following me... if I open up the text editor and highlight the text then change it to style WBS within the text editor, the font then changes....hmmm?

I am happy to leave half my font in the titleblock at arial Narrow the rest as RomanS but all down under the WBS Text style. Reckon that would be okay?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »
and to add a little more confusion; remember that with text there is a parent-child relationship
if the STYLE is already defined, and one inserts a block [XREF] the current drawing style definition
(PARENT) overrides the style settings in the CHILD drawing, block, or XREF.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Skeeps

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
just depressing really isnt it, your parents still telling you what to do I left home ages ago.

I think mjfarrell that's why I found it so confusing. But I understand it now. Phew!

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:56 PM »
great responses. Had to concentrate reading yours tho mjfarrell (simple lass y'know). But it all makes sense. I've called my new style as WBS - The company I work for. It has no refernce in the title to the font.  .....

This is a good habbit to get into when it comes to text styles and dim styles (formats as mjfarrell was saying).  This prevents the whole parent-child thing that mjfarrell mentions again later when trying to incorporate drawing files from outside the firm/company.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Skeeps

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 01:01:34 PM »
just out of curiosity do you have a list of stuff like this you need to be aware of when handling other peoples drawings?

Where the parent-child thing happens. Thhis would be a really usefull answer if you can answer it, for me and everyone else working as the 'middle man'

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:09:43 PM »
just out of curiosity do you have a list of stuff like this you need to be aware of when handling other peoples drawings?

Where the parent-child thing happens. Thhis would be a really usefull answer if you can answer it, for me and everyone else working as the 'middle man'

It is hard to generate a list becuase my list deals with a select few of outsiders and I can beat them up if push comes to shove.  (read as "I hold the money").  Layers and styles are the biggest that I deal with.  The best way I have found to handle them is to contained them in an xref or block.  This makes them more manageable and they cause less mess.

my two cents, curious to see what others throw in.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans