Author Topic: How do you create your notes and detail sheets?  (Read 15654 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
How do you create your notes and detail sheets?
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:05:25 AM »
Working on a standard process here and I wondered what you all do.

Thanks!
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Shinyhead

Re: How do you create your notes and detail sheets?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:55:29 AM »
My vote is in modelspace but printed from paperspace.
This is my general preference as we use annotative dimensioning when we can and its all 2d drafting. 
I have seen occasions where having the geometry in MS and annotation in PS makes sense, all in modelspace makes me cringe.  Worse yet are the people so stuck they scale in MS to the titleblock and use dimlfac, that makes me want to scream.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:44:06 AM »
Cary,

I create details and sections in model space so they are to scale 1:1. I work out the plot scale and add notes to the details in model space at the appropriate size to suit final plot scale. I then create a layout tab, add the title sheet at 1:1, then create viewports for each of the details. Set the scales up for the viewports...and Bob's your uncle.

If I need to put largish blocks of notes on the details sheet, I add them onto the detail sheet (not in active viewports) at plot scale of 1:1. It all seems messy...but it works for me.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
Cary,

I create details and sections in model space so they are to scale 1:1. I work out the plot scale and add notes to the details in model space at the appropriate size to suit final plot scale. I then create a layout tab, add the title sheet at 1:1, then create viewports for each of the details. Set the scales up for the viewports...and Bob's your uncle.

If I need to put largish blocks of notes on the details sheet, I add them onto the detail sheet (not in active viewports) at plot scale of 1:1. It all seems messy...but it works for me.

Allen your process would be much cleaner IF you saved a view around your details in model space, and THEN used sheet set manager to point to the model view drawing and drag your detail views onto your layout tabs using sheet set managers functions.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:57:05 AM »
Legend and notes in modelspace.  Add a viewport on paperspace with lengend and notes in the side of the title block.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Julie@Integra

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
TitleBlock/Border is in paperspace....
all else in modelspace (drawn 1:1), with scaled viewport(s) in paperspace, and printed from paperspace.
All is well-organized and labeled (on non-printable layers, of course) in modelspace for easy reference, as well.

With a variety of clients, this works best for everyone. I even occasionally detail for a fabricator who prints out TO SCALE from modelspace -- he's got someone who prints on [unspecified] extra L.A.R.G.E. media for him -- so his guys in the shop have a template for stair stringers and other miscellaneous steel items! Crazy, huh?

deegeecees

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
I don't use any text in modelspace. I believe this was the intentions of ADesk, to have the ability to create a model as a real world object in Modelspace, and have a means for notation to build it in Paperspace.

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 11:38:17 AM »
I don't use any text in modelspace. I believe this was the intentions of ADesk, to have the ability to create a model as a real world object in Modelspace, and have a means for notation to build it in Paperspace.

annotation scale?

Alan Cullen

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 11:41:52 AM »
Allen your process would be much cleaner IF you saved a view around your details in model space, and THEN used sheet set manager to point to the model view drawing and drag your detail views onto your layout tabs using sheet set managers functions.

That was last week...but.....arrrrr...Cap'n Boolean challenges me...scurvy dawg that be he. I be saying me scurvy crew does me bidding. you mongrel half cursed son of a happy washer. You been playing half  attempt at a washer be me.....then me be seeing you at yon pier at midnight. Cutlass be fine. arrrrrr

Julie@Integra

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »

With my previous employer, that's how it was done. But the environment (mainly, several detailers who wouldn't use standardized methods or leave another's drawings alone -- thereby screwing everything up) made it necessary to switch...    I grew accustomed to it, and appreciate the ease of doing it all in modelspace now.

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »

annotation scale?

I started out in ACad when that wasn't even a thought. They added that after requests. I still don't need to use it.

jnieman

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »

annotation scale?

I started out in ACad when that wasn't even a thought. They added that after requests. I still don't need to use it.

Yea, that's my thinking too.  Once I learned how to use paperspace properly, there was no going back... it all made too much sense, after that :)

deegeecees

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »

With my previous employer, that's how it was done. But the environment (mainly, several detailers who wouldn't use standardized methods or leave another's drawings alone -- thereby screwing everything up) made it necessary to switch...    I grew accustomed to it, and appreciate the ease of doing it all in modelspace now.

I've worked in countless places where I've had to succumb to the practices of someone who had little or no knowledge of the software and how it's intended use was somehow overlooked. Now, I've had the opportunity to start a CAD dept. from the ground up. My work here is all 3D, with the exception of floor plans/elevations/shop drawings. And those are generated with views of the 3D model and notation in paperspace.

Kate M

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »
My work here is all 3D, with the exception of floor plans/elevations/shop drawings. And those are generated with views of the 3D model and notation in paperspace.

Ah, but if you were DRAFTING (i.e. 2D) instead of MODELING (3D), annotating in modelspace might make a lot more sense.

jnieman

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 12:40:05 PM »
My work here is all 3D, with the exception of floor plans/elevations/shop drawings. And those are generated with views of the 3D model and notation in paperspace.

Ah, but if you were DRAFTING (i.e. 2D) instead of MODELING (3D), annotating in modelspace might make a lot more sense.

Not to me.

I do drafting and modeling, depending on the project.  Annotation in model space makes zero sense to me.  The company in the back is WELL set up in doing it, and it's terrible compared to the awesomeness of paper-space annotation, imo.