Author Topic: NEW NATIONAL CADD STANDARDS  (Read 25818 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: NEW NATIONAL CADD STANDARDS
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 12:55:37 PM »
And they would be charged accordingly.    :evil:

That's absolutely correct!  But you would still pay for the standard :) even if the buck is passed.

And would not like it any more, than if it wasn't.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
I like uniforms because then I don't have to worry about what to wear to work... did I wear that shirt yesterday?  Does that shirt go with these pants?

Keith, god forbid you ever ended up as a mechanic, maintenance tech, machinist, or skilled laborer of any kind... I think you'd have a heart attack when you heard of the requirements most employers have on tools.

Already did it ... 3 years ... I had my own tools and then the shop had tools. If I needed something that I didn't have, I checked it out of the tool room, then checked it back in when I was done with it.

Remember, you make your own deal .. if your boss insists you buy your own tools and you agree, you made the deal. If a client says that I have to abide by whatever standard, then the client gets to pay for those standards .. period ..
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Bob Garner

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
Keith, et. al.

I've just been all over California.gov looking for the free building codes (for Cali, it is Title 24 to the International Building Code published by International Code Council). 

It is "available for purchase or may be viewed at Depository Libraries".

Bob G.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »
Everything in the California law is available here except Title 24. Maybe an email will get it posted.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:26:09 PM »
Everything in the California law is available here except Title 24. Maybe an email will get it posted.
I wouldn't trust an internet archive site to be 100% up to date.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Bob Garner

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Title 24 is the building code for California.  All the stuff posted on that website is the stuff written by the State government.  All the stuff that's written by the International Code Council costs.

Straight and to the point:  I will mail $100 cash to anyone that can direct me to a free copy of the International Building Code, 2006 Edition, as published by the International Code Council.  Not a library copy (that has already been purchased) but one that I can keep in my office for ready reference.  I have counted out 5-$20 dollar bills and I have put them in a blank envelope.  Tell me where I can get the free code, send me your address, and after I confirm my free copy, this envelope is on it's way to you.

Bob Garner

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
Title 24 is the building code for California.  All the stuff posted on that website is the stuff written by the State government.  All the stuff that's written by the International Code Council costs.

Straight and to the point:  I will mail $100 cash to anyone that can direct me to a free copy of the International Building Code, 2006 Edition, as published by the International Code Council.  Not a library copy (that has already been purchased) but one that I can keep in my office for ready reference.  I have counted out 5-$20 dollar bills and I have put them in a blank envelope.  Tell me where I can get the free (read as $100) code, send me your address, and after I confirm my free copy, this envelope is on it's way to you.

Bob Garner

Well.... it still wouldn't be "free", now would it?!?   :wink:

*note* The only links I've seen are for pay-to-download versions.  Except this one^^

EDIT: Removed Linkage
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:21:24 AM by Matt W »
Autodesk Expert Elite

Bob Garner

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
I'm not looking for overall free to me per se, but free to John Q. Public.  I don't think the code is free, and I'm puttin' me money where me mouth is.  Any takers?  I just put a stamp on the envelope.  Overseas takers O.K., too.  I can put on more postage.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »
I'm not looking for overall free to me per se, but free to John Q. Public.  I don't think the code is free, and I'm puttin' me money where me mouth is.  Any takers?  I just put a stamp on the envelope.  Overseas takers O.K., too.  I can put on more postage.

so you want one more free than the one he linked to???
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jnieman

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »

so you want one more free than the one he linked to???

rapidshare is a user-run peer-share network and not an official distribution.

Bob Garner

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
I tried the rapidshare link and what finally downloaded was not the IBC.  Should I qualify my offer - it has to be legit (I know I can get a free copy in Hong Kong).

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
From what I saw doing a quick search, you can't get that for free.  The cheapest I saw was $84-ish on the Barnes & Noble site.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Alan Cullen

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 08:27:57 AM »
mmmmm...here we go again........

In Aus.....well...we can play with changes a bit.......mmmmmmm

jnieman

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 09:54:11 AM »
I just don't see why people complain about a standard costing money?

IBC, IRC, NFPA... all cost money if you want a conveniently bound, personally owned, privately accessed copy.  That's the cost of doing business.  Keith, as usual, you have no backup to your extraordinary claims and instead provide a moot counterargument regarding law, so I'm not inclined to believe you that you got a full copy for free until proven otherwise.

The project I'm doing right now demands that the contractor follow MUTCD standards for signage and markers for temporary traffic control.  You think I'm gonna rubber-band a copy of this standard for him?  No, he's a bridge and roadway contractor, he can dang well go buy the book himself... any contractor worth a crap would because any competent and professional individual working in the specific business/industry is going to do so.

If you don't have the money to get into business, then don't get into business in the first place... no one is going to PAY YOU to have your own tools and resources.  You get paid for your product.  I am darn sure that everyone charges an "overhead" rate per hour.  That overhead includes the "cost of business" and $50 or whatever it is... is a drop in the bucket not even worth whining about.

Bob Garner

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 10:14:28 AM »
Josh,

Here's my secret.  Don't tell anyone.  In my major construction specs, I add the clause, "Contractor shall have on the jobsite at all times, copies of all codes referenced in the construction documents.  In addition, Contractor shall furnish the Engineer with all copies of codes referenced in the construction documents.  A list of the code documents referenced in the contract documents shall be provided to the contractor and such codes shall be furnished to the Engineer prior to start of the work.  Purchase of code documents shall be considered as incidental to the cost of the work and no additional payment will be made for these documents." 

I haven't had to pay for a code book for years.  In the end, our clients pay the contractor for these code books.  Otherwise, their cost would be included in our fees so nothing's really different.

Bob G.