Author Topic: Corridor driving me crazy  (Read 5420 times)

KATHYC

Corridor driving me crazy
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »
I'm having alot of trouble with a corridor. I havn't had much experience with civil 3d 2008. I have the book Mastering AutoCad Civil 3d 2008. But I havn't been able to solve my problem. Can anyone help me. I 'm going to try and post the drawing. There is a gap at the center of the bulb on the cultesac, and at the beginning of the alignment i want my transition lane to go to the centerline of the new road not flare around to the existing road. There is also an small offset between the left and right corridor from the fg1 corridor. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm trying hard to learn this program but some areas are kicking my butt.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Corridor driving me crazy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »
For your corridor to be correct you will need to create both a Bulb Left and Bulb Right assembly.
The baseline will follow around your lip or back of gutter alignment and PGL, the pavement section will need be either BLT or Lane Outside super, such that you can target the centerline alignment, to fill in the pavement section in that region, and the Centerline Profile so that it maintains your desired cross slopes. And All will be well.

Further review suggests that you need only add the pavent sub assembly to the left side of the Right assembly, and on the Left side of the Right assembly. And then in your corridor properties assign the proper targets as outlined above.

Let me know if you want me to create one of those assemblies and post the partial solution for you to follow through and finish the other region. OK?

Although I have 2009 here yours looks to be in 2007 or 2008 version, I do have access to 2008 if required.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:49:19 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

KATHYC

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:53:44 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

dfarris75

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:01:53 PM »
Thanks for confirming what I have said repeatedly; One can not master c3d from that book.
And exactly why I have issues with both the title of the book, and the authors of same for allowing it to be titled as such.
And some thought I was just being over critical of their work. I was only being honest in my observations; which I thought they wanted when asking for comments about it.
I will review your data and reply with a solution shortly.
Well they had to have a catchy title for the book in order to sell the thing Mike. It's marketing. It wouldn't sell so many if they had called it "Almost Mastering Civil 3D" or "Wannabe Civil 3D Master" right?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

You will do just fine...I can feel your success from here. 

And when and or if you folks want to truly MASTER C3D I stand ready to be of assistance.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:48:10 AM »
So?

How did it go?  Or do you want me to post the solution in 2008 format?
If so I will do Half of that cul de sac and let you follow to finish the other half.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

scout

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:27 AM »
How did it go?  Or do you want me to post the solution in 2008 format?
If so I will do Half of that cul de sac and let you follow to finish the other half.

I'd also love to see the finished product. I'm not sure I am getting the OP's design intent. I've got the drawing open and messing around with it.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
I already have the corridor finished with 2009, although due to autodesks' insistence that there products NOT work backward or forward with each other the user would need me to redo this with 2008 so that they could use/open the file.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

scout

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »
I'd also love to see the finished product. I'm not sure I am getting the OP's design intent. I've got the drawing open and messing around with it.

Is your design based on the Fg(1) alignment location, or the centerpoint of the cul de sac? (see image) If it is based on the centerpoint, you can always make a second alignment that is not shown on plans, but that you use for design purposes. If that is the case, you only need one region around your cul de sac EOP and one subassembly. (Per the cul de sac example in Mastering C3D)

If you can put up a sketch, I would be happy to work it out for you.

For your intersection, can you explain what you need? Maybe a sketch? I get the "not flare into the existing road" part. Do you mean you want to stop at the EOP of the existing road (to leave the crown intact) like the image on page 433 of Mastering C3D?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »
What the user will want to do is have an Alignment at the Edge of Traveled Way (Edge Pavement or Lip of Gutter to the rest of the world) So that at the intersection the pavement portion of the Assembly will target the EP alignment and Profile for the first Region along those curb returns. The blue lines in the sketch attached. Then in the second region the user will target the East West Centerline alignment and profile to finish the entry there will be a similar process on the left (north) side of the street.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

scout

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 11:11:10 AM »
What the user will want to do is have an Alignment at the Edge of Traveled Way (Edge Pavement or Lip of Gutter to the rest of the world)

Gotcha. Just like the grey sidebar on pages 421 through 422 of Mastering C3D shows.

I'm very lazy when it comes to holding the crown, so I rarely target the EOP- its just another piece of geometry to maintain. If it works out, I like to just leave an empty lane region and let the triangulation do the work on th final surface. It isn't always appropriate, and it may not work in this case. Since the OP has the book -check out the grey sidebar on pages 432 through 433.

scout

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
With all due respect IF the book was helping the user with this issue, they wouldn't be needing our help here.

I'd like to hear that from the user. They might not have seen those particular sidebars. If they did, and they weren't helpful, I would like to know why so that I can facilitate potentially improving the language and approach.

I have plenty of books on my shelf that have lots of answers that I didn't see right away until someone points me in the right direction.

scout

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:50:05 AM »
you are hearing it from the reader in the form of I have this 'book' that isn't helping....

let's start with....perhaps they shouldn't be in sidebars and go from there.....

I'd like to hear it from a reader who doesn't already know how to do it. From someone looking at it with new eyes.

But from your perspective, Michael, what about the images? Are they not clear enough? do they not convey the message? If someone is familiar with creating targets from the "blended" intersection example, are they not armed with enough information to adjust their targets based on the first image in the grey area of page 421? Should it be another step by step exercise? More callouts? More arrows?

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
Removed not too helpful commments. Sorry Kathy.

Jeff
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:22:43 PM by Jeff_M »

scout

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »
However WE digress. I'm going to channel my energies back towards the users issue with the corridor model.

I am here to help as well. Once the OP responds with their design intent (my post with the cul de sac image) I will gladly post several alternatives to achieve that requirement. Without clarification, it is impossible to read their minds.

The OP simply said the book didn't help on this issue. They didn't say which chapter they were looking for answers in. I am an author of that particular text, and I imagine that I will be contributing to plenty of additional Civil 3D documentation in the near future. My intentions are always to continue improving the material that I influence. Though my employment has changed, my intentions are still as I wrote here: http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=23136.msg279622#msg279622.

With that, I hope that the OP hasn't been scared off by our side conversation.