Author Topic: Google Ads, bots and the membership (2)  (Read 4386 times)

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Re: Google Ads, bots and the membership (2)
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:07 AM »
Josh, that is an interesting thought ... indexing the site will by its very nature increase bandwidth usage, even without additional membership. Adding advertising will also increase bandwidth usage, although it will be a minor amount.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

jnieman

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:43 AM »
Well I wasn't really trying to figure the cost of those, because you can eliminate that cost by going backwards... it's the increase in membership (that most seem to think would happen) that would be irreversible increases to bandwidth.

HOWEVER... this is a very decently put together forum, no added fluff or bloat... the only images are basic things that appear once, and then, if cache'd will incur no other loads... it's not a graphical site very much, and it's only an occasional forum that requires a screenshot of the application, and that's viewed minimally I would think.

There's ways to hinder bloating up forum posts, like eliminating image tags within the post, file capping the 'additional attachments' and encouraging the use of imageshack and such services, or lily pad to some

Bob Wahr

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 10:54:05 AM »
My understanding of the existence of The  Swamp is or was to provide an alternate to the corprate controlled and censored site.
They can claim to be independent all they want however the truth is they are not or the ground rules a member must agree to when joining would not prohibit anyone one from expressing an opinion that is negative towards their corporate master, that in the end controls and decides their fate, even after the intruction of the marking tool known as solidvapor to the mix.

I think we can remain strong and grow even stronger without needing to be enslaved by some form of corporate servitude and the conditions and constraints imposed by taking that route.

Perhaps any of this discussion would be best added to the terms of membership, make it clear that the site is user supported and maintained and provide very easy links to donate. From experience I was here quite a while before I knew I could donate, and even if I would. Then I discovered how good the site is, and felt compelled to donate to keep it free of those influences.
I know that you are still very sensitive about it and that the scab will likely never heal, but seriously, indexing by google = enslavement into corporate servitude?

Some day I'll have to introduce you to this thing I know about called the internet.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »
Some day I'll have to introduce you to this thing I know about called the internet.

Shall I call you Al?  :wink:

I am aware of this thing call the 'internet', however feel free to reintroduce me to it, perhaps I have met an impostor?

What I am saying, or at least attempting to say is that I think this place can be self sustaining. And that part of why many are here is the lack of overt corporate influences; at least that is the attraction to me.

I also believe that if some users; such as myself and some others (You know who your are) whom actually benefit in a business sense from their participation here, can and should donate to keep this place viable. And not just troll for customers here without giving back to the place that brought you those clients. To be sure in the next few days there will be donations from both myself (mjfarrell) and Prime Services (the business) to beliefs into action.

I have also been considering selling my training DVD "PIRATE 3D" through The Swamp store and giving The Swamp a cut of every sale; even before this thread emerged.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 11:50:05 AM »
It is my understanding that the primary goal of the swamp is to aid and educate CAD users/programmers, not just "our sort" of CAD users/programmers.  If someone is having a problem and the solution was here, it would sure be nice if they had a way to find it.

My understanding of the existence of The  Swamp is or was to provide an alternate to the corprate controlled and censored site.

I think that may just be a symptom or byproduct... I've -never- been under the impression that this was a 'goal'.

Maybe not a 'goal' but certainly a major factor. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)