Author Topic: Google Ads, bots and the membership (1)  (Read 6230 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Google Ads, bots and the membership (1)
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:12:26 AM »
Just curious ... again! :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Dinosaur

Re: Google Ads, bots and the membership (1)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:16:24 AM »
you gotta do what you gotta do . . . I might even adjust my ad blocker and follow a link or two if I thought it would make enough difference

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »
I've voted that it depends.

If the revenue from any ads means that you have access to funds to keep this place going then so be it. (so long as they are in context and discreet... will you have control as to where and the type of ads?)
I'd rather NOT see ads, but I understand that the cost of running this place must be expensive, and I know that not all the members have the funds to make donations to help with the cost of running of the place.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »
This issue was raised at CadTutor....and the majority of members had no problem whatsoever with advertising, as long as it was descreet and basically out of the way of normal hit and click.......

As for bots...they are a neccessary evil.

Don't understand the issue with membership.......we are all members.

jnieman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
(depends)

I got no dog in the hunt, so I can't tell you not to.

My vote of "depends" was basically on where you put them.  At some point it strongly interferes with the usability of the site.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »
I have been to sites where the ad bots are there and I don't stay too long. Maybe I am just too old school .. I know what I want to purchase and I know where to look when I want to research something that I am looking at purchasing. I don't want to be bombarded by adverts in threads that I view and those that have adverts in them I would likely avoid.

I know things change so I hate to make this a dissertation into the reasoning behind adding the google bots. I will make a few observations and let the membership browbeat me.

1) it is my understanding that theswamp was started in part, to avoid the barrage of advertisements seen on other sites
2) theswamp is hosted locally by its owner at a much higher cost than it would be were it hosted on a public site
3) the maintenance of theswamp has been (presumably) a labor of love
4) annual public hosting, without advertising, can be had for about a single month of local hosting, not to mention the savings in electrical power and hardware outages.
5) many people, me included, will avoid the threads with advertising, thus restricting the usability of the site
6) advertising controlled by other sites (google included) will introduce links to other websites that may not be safe or trustworthy, including subsequent links on the advertisers website.

in short, I don't like it ... not sure what I will do if/when they come ... I'll make that decision when it happens I suppose
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

tjr

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
I voted for them.

I'll admit ads suck sometimes but I don't find google's ads that bad at all. I'm not going to whine like a baby because because I am presented with ads while browsing this forum. I realize that you are doing all of this on your own time and out of your own pocket. If you wanna run ads by all means do it. Everyone has to eat.

edit: I can't type.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 09:42:47 AM by tjr »

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
Yea I pretty much echo Tim.  Beggars can't be choosers.

uncoolperson

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
your house, I'm just a guest

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »
Go for it....

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:22:35 AM »
One quick question Mark

Is there any "minimum subscription" time for the ads... say if it didnt work and caused more problems than it solved, would it be easy for you to get out of it? (does that make sense)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
One quick question Mark

Is there any "minimum subscription" time for the ads... say if it didnt work and caused more problems than it solved, would it be easy for you to get out of it? (does that make sense)

I don't know, haven't looked into it that far yet.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 01:30:40 PM »
The selfish side of me says I don't want any ads here...but the practical side understands that it takes money to keep things going.

So I'll support whatever decision you go with Mark.  :-)

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

Bob Wahr

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
I voted yes, then saw the post that said that ads might run Keith off.  Now I don't think yes is a strong enough response.

j/k

Seriously, go for it.  Google ads are fairly unobtrusive.  If they don't interest me, I don't click, I don't see it as a crisis.

Craig

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »
Personally I do not like Google ads or any other BS ads. Do you think you could generate enough income to justify putting them on the site, who knows? Unless all the members here click them on a regular basis then basically they are a waste of space. As with other sites I might visit I never click any links or advertisements for fear of something malicious. If I do see something in an ad that interest me then I will open another tab and Google the info and get to it that way and bypass the ad all together.

Mark, this is your site and your server and if you feel this is needed then you do what you need to do.  :angel: