Author Topic: Matrix3d and TransformBy help  (Read 55626 times)

Spike Wilbury

Re: Matrix3d and TransformBy help
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
OBB doesn't work for me, sure it's the right command?
thanks

Hi Mick,

Let me upload the file, one more time...

There it is now... maybe I uploaded a previous one, normally I use the command TST for all my test commands....

Thanks.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »
Sorry Luis, not quite.
I really don't see a way to do this without the solid having some knowledge of its direction or an ecs that doesn't change with any modifications.

See attached, it has a standard beam and the same beam after mod's so you can see how it should come out, hth.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:19:42 PM by MickD »
"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
J.R.R. Tolkien

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »
Sorry Luis, not quite.
I really don't see a way to do this without the solid having some knowledge of its direction or an ecs that doesn't change with any modifications.

See attached, it has a standard beam and the same beam after mod's so you can see how it should come out, hth.

It's all right.... this has become an obsession, and some day, it will come up... others have done it, for other applications, so it is possible :)

Mick,

Can you upload the drawing sample ?

Thanks!

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2009, 09:29:02 PM »
I just attached it to last post, cheers.
J.R.R. Tolkien

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »
For an aligned bounding box to work it needs something to align to, that's pretty easy to handle if you have it. The problem is if you are basing your alignment of an algorythm that takes the current geometry into consideration, what happens when the geometry changes??

The only way other applications can handle this is if they embed/attach an ECS at the time of the solids creation.
I'm talking more along the lines of say timber or steel where things come in lengths, it doesn't matter how you cut it, you need 'x' amount of length of the material, this is what's important so you can order the right amounts.
With mechanical or molded items it doesn't really matter as long as they fit inside the BBox in an economic way which is what your arx seems to be able to do.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
more... just to show some advanced.... I guess....  :roll:

MickD

• King Gator
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »
Luis, that looks good,..but.... I know those solids are aligned with the the wcs (the beam extrusion follows the y axis), what if you rotated them about say two axes??

That's the BBox we want though :)
J.R.R. Tolkien

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »
Luis, that looks good,..but.... I know those solids are aligned with the the wcs (the beam extrusion follows the y axis), what if you rotated them about say two axes??

That's the BBox we want though :)

Mick,

If you had a chance, please provide me with some drawing samples - they will be better for my testings - Thanks!.

This algorithm does not depend on any axis at all (just uses points) or in other words it looks for points and does the projection, until it find the aligned bounding box (to put it in simple words) - I know it requires more refinement, but it's getting there. :)

LE!