Author Topic: critique, advice, opinions appreciated  (Read 7374 times)

Bethrine

critique, advice, opinions appreciated
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
I'm working on an old, no longer going to happen, drawing from a friend and trying to improve it and practice and improve my skills on it in the process. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am also going to work my way through my 2007 CAD book, again, and post that stuff. It should keep me in the groove, provide laughter and enjoyment and make some of you shake your heads and cringe.  :evil: All opinions, thoughts, critiques welcome.  :police:

Bethrine

Re: critique, advice, opinions appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:45:26 PM »
Below is the original I recieved.

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
maybe if you posted as PDF (or other readable) it will let others to review your drawing...

Bethrine

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:48:38 PM »
maybe if you posted as PDF (or other readable) it will let others to review your drawing...
I have to see if I am set up to plot to PDF. I'll make that my current project. :)

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:02:57 PM »
Bethrine,

1. What are you doing on that drawing, to improve yourself ?
2. Is that going to be a base drawing?
3. Do you have a basic layering system?.
4. Do you know about pen weighs?

etc.....

Bethrine

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:21:44 PM »
Bethrine,

1. What are you doing on that drawing, to improve yourself ?
2. Is that going to be a base drawing?
3. Do you have a basic layering system?.
4. Do you know about pen weighs?

etc.....

I am applying what I learned at my previous job providing me with practice at all kinds of things as well as trying to improve it visually and find more that I need to learn.

Yes, it's a base drawing for what I hope will look professional when I am through and will have also provided me with the knowledge and ability to do it again.

I have a basic idea of a layering system and am also hoping to improve on that too.

I know about pen weights but definitely have a ways to go in order to fully understand them and the best way to use and apply them and how they should look on the final product.

Below is a DWF, I am having set up problems with the Adobe plotting "system". It's the original I recieved.

Bethrine

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
I should've put this in "Teach Me"  :ugly:  ...hey, I'm a bullfrog!!!  :-D

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
I should've put this in "Teach Me"  :ugly:  ...hey, I'm a bullfrog!!!  :-D

What you need, in my own personal opinion it is to use, a set of (hardcopy or pdf's) drawings and draw from there, that way you will have an idea of what it is needed. 

Bethrine

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 02:37:26 PM »
Yes, I am still going to work on the PDF output. My next step is to understand what Autospool is and if I should be using it. Then I have to figure out if I actually have the driver which I know little about except that I need them.  :-(

Here's the DWF of what I have done so far...

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »
I review both drawings, and I can tell you they are not coming good or right, sorry.

As I said before, use a real sample, and copy the drawing, exactly... why you don't do that? -

Bethrine

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »
I review both drawings, and I can tell you they are not coming good or right, sorry.

As I said before, use a real sample, and copy the drawing, exactly... why you don't do that? -

What do you mean by real sample?

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »

A set of construction drawings from a real project, something that can give you a better idea...

Bethrine

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »

A set of construction drawings from a real project, something that can give you a better idea...

I don't have access to those currently and this was a real project that just didn't end up being built.

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:05:58 PM »

Bethrine

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
Downloaded and looking around....thanks!....

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 04:17:09 PM »
Downloaded and looking around....thanks!....

Bethrine,

I was referring about a real project, but in the form of how the project is developed, in other words, making a professional set of construction drawings (note: I am not talking about pretty drawings).

That set is mine, I might be willing to provide to you some other CD set of one of my residential projects as pdf.

Bethrine

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 04:30:35 PM »
 :lmao: Pretty drawings may be nice, but I understand the point! My limited practical experience is in HVAC and Plumbing so I haven't had to draw walls etc. professionally. I would like to learn all of that too. Also, my PM had me placing text notes "aesthetically" and fussing with lineweights and matching text styles and checking drawing pages for conformity and so on. So I guess "pretty" was a large part of my job description. I also did redlining to company standards which would change according to his will. I don't mind, I learn as much as I can and just keep going and following directions. Anyway, I understand that the point of the drawing is to "talk" from the engineer to the guys who are building the thing with as little confusion as possible. It needs to be clear and readable and correct.

Hopefully I got your point?  :? Or am I looking at it wrong. ?

Bethrine

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
Should've also mentioned I am very interested in how to "start from scratch" if that is what you meant?

...still working on the PDF problem.

:ugly: Maybe you meant an unfinished drawing?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:41:21 PM by Bethrine »