Author Topic: C3D 2009 Stability  (Read 2933 times)

sinc

C3D 2009 Stability
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:05:08 AM »
Anyone using C3D 2009?  What do you think of stability?

I saw a lot of posts on "the other group" that said C3D 2009 is much more stable, but I'm not seeing it myself.  While it's true that there were some things that I grew to expect to crash C3D 2008 have apparently been fixed, with C3D 2009, things that should have no effect - things I could do without issues in previous versions of C3D - are crashing it.  And these crashes are apparently random and not reproduceable.

For example, C3D 2009 will crash when I right-click on a style and select "Edit style...".  After rebooting, I can edit the style without issues.  Opening older files has caused an awful lot of crashes, ESPECIALLY opening old Land Desktop files (guess we have to forget about using C3D to look at old Land Desktop files...?).  I've even had it crash while trying to do a simple PAN operation.

It's as if there are lots of problems bubbling under the surface, and periodically, one of those bubbles pops, and "Bye, bye, C3D!"  It seems that ALMOST ANYTHING can cause one of these bubbles to pop.

It's rather frustrating...  With C3D 2008, I knew certain operations were likely to result in a crash.  But with C3D 2009, it can be any completely normal operation that triggers the crash.  Things that work just fine 50 times in a row suddenly crash C3D 2009 for no apparent reason.

Alan Cullen

Re: C3D 2009 Stability
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »
Dunno if this helps. One of our civil designers has C3D 2009....but he doesn't use it. won't tell me why, he just reverted to CivilCad. So I still have no idea why he chucked it.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »
Sinc, for those old Land files it is suggested that you perform an ALL MAP query to import the data. This should help 'upgrade' the drawing objects on the way in.

Alan, your mate propably had no training and was not swimming well in the sea of C3D. For some the transition to it takes a while, or just the right exposure to get the thing.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:30:05 PM »
Typically, I simply want to "peek" at an old Land Desktop drawing.  Starting up a Map query, attaching drawings, performing queries - usually, when opening an old drawing, that's all far more than I want to do.  Usually, I simply need to check something so that I can answer the question this guy on the phone is asking me.

It goes back to the interversion compatibility issue - Autodesk does not seem to think it's a problem, but as an end-user, I find it to be a severe problem.

Talking with a co-worker, he's said he's actually noticed less crashes.  But he's been doing a lot of repetitive calcs, doing the same basic tasks over and over, so he just may not be hitting them.  The only one he says he's been hitting (which is also one that I've been seeing with some regularity) is that dragging a Cogo Point label will often cause C3D 2009 to crash.  We don't have to move the point or anything, but simply try to change it from the "default" display to the "dragged state" display, and CRASH!  Like the other bugs I've mentioned, this happens only sporadically, and without warning or rhyme or reason.  After the crash, we can restart C3D and move the "offending" Cogo Point with no issues.

However, I've been doing things like updating styles and reworking our template, and I'm getting regular crashes.  The Styles seem to be less-stable than in C3D 2008.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:37:23 PM »
I hear you...

I trust you are sending all those error reports in?  Otherwise who knows when it might get noticed?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
Probably the majority of the crashes do not trigger the CER.  Compared to C3D 2007 and C3D 2008, I seem to be seeing a lot more of the "POOF!" sorts of crashes, i.e. C3D suddenly (and VERY quickly) disappears without a trace.  It doesn't even trigger Microsoft's CER.

But if given the option, I'm sending in the CERs.

sinc

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »
Well, we just spent 1.5 hours trying to generate a volume surface in C3D 2009.

This is something that generally takes all of a minute.  And in truth, we can get the volume surface generated.  But as soon as we do, the drawing crashes on save.

Hmmmm.....  Crashes on save....   Sounds a lot like those horrendous problems we were getting with that ill-fated roll-out of C3D 2007....

Dinosaur

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
You guys are making it very difficult to regret missing out on all that fun.  It seems like I see the number 13 more every day on every AutoCAD related site I log into.

Cathy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »
I may get a computer I can install C3D 2009 on next week.  Will I be able to work on my .dwg and save in 2009 and then go back and work on the project in 2008?

sinc

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »
No.

Cathy

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
No.
That's what I was afraid of.  Looks like we'll be stuck with 2008 for quite a while then. 

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
We've had 2009 for going on a week now. General feeling is it feels sluggish at times. Grip edit moving general note labels, drag state point labels, etc. all have a hesitation to them. Everytime I select a label the properties bar flickers while it updates the information. Editing data within the properties is slow to update as well. Granted most of our users are using older machines (no they don't meet spec requirements) even the couple people that have the better machines aren't seeing much improvement. I love getting new versions and trying out new features but I felt more comfortable in '08. This version feels unfinished to me.

Back to... "Careful, you could crash at any given moment." (Civil 3d 2009)

Rather than... "I better save, this may crash." (Civil 3d 2008)

Coincedently Sinc..

Engineer came in to ask about some volume calcs I did a few weeks ago (using '08). I opened up the drawing (in '09) to start explaining some of the surfaces and process I used...CRASH..FATAL ERROR. I couldn't rebuild or edit any of the volume surfaces along with one of the surfaces for the parking lot. Good times...