Author Topic: AutoCAD + Microstation  (Read 20434 times)

dfarris75

AutoCAD + Microstation
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:52:24 AM »
We have a possible project on the table in which the files must be in Microstation format. It will be a second phase of a project we did a few years ago. I did a lot of the drafting in Ms for phase one, but merely basic drafting. I would like to be able to utilize C3D for this round in terms of design and such if possible, but I need to get around the back and forth conversion of files as with phase one I fumbled my way back and forth due to scaling and coordinates. I would export the .dgn to .dwg, open it, do work, and then re-open in Ms to find things were a bit shifted, rotated, scaled, and whatnot on top of the confusion of linetypes, polylines, etc. not always working.

Surely there is a smoother way to work between the two to minimize these sorts of issues. Any Ms users who can give some direction here?

Re: AutoCAD + Microstation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:04:35 AM »
MEP 08 has a command called DGNEXPORT which allows you to export directly to MS V8.  Not sure if the other verticals have it or not.  Sadly, I can't obtain a network license of C3D right now to verify.  :-(

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:13:10 AM »
We have a project that HAS to be done on MS... we arent allowed to do any work on AutoCAD, it is to do with the way the "powers that be" have set up the working area in Microstation. (something to do with the curvature of the earth has been factored into the jobs working grid)

One part of our design team tried to work in acad, but had problems with scaling etc when they tried to re-insert their work on top of the jobs grid. We never figured out a way round this problem.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »
One part of our design team tried to work in acad, but had problems with scaling etc when they tried to re-insert their work on top of the jobs grid. We never figured out a way round this problem.

The difference in the drawing scales makes all the difference in the world. I drew objects in 1:1 / 12:1 / 25.4:1 and various other permutations. I could never get a decent scale out of it either. I finally resorted to scaling in MS to make it fit.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

dfarris75

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:19 AM »
The future is looking a bit dim for this project at the moment. :|

Dinosaur

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:02 AM »
MEP 08 has a command called DGNEXPORT which allows you to export directly to MS V8.  Not sure if the other verticals have it or not.  Sadly, I can't obtain a network license of C3D right now to verify.  :-(
This is available in Civil 3D along with an option to export to MS V7.  I would not in any way expect the trip to be without surprising turns and challenges however.

CADaver

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »
Our experience has led us to:  If the deliverable is MSta, do it in MSta, if AutoCAD, do it in AutoCAD.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »
Surely there is a smoother way to work between the two to minimize these sorts of issues. Any Ms users who can give some direction here?

I would never use the word "Surely" in this instance.  Sad but true.

dfarris75

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »
Yes quite sad. :cry: After all these years you would think someone out there has figured out a way for the programs to seamlessly exchange data. I guess it's not that big a deal to do the work in Ms as we're just doing the drainage.

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
After all these years you would think someone out there has figured out a way for the programs to seamlessly exchange data.
why?

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »
After all these years you would think someone out there has figured out a way for the programs to seamlessly exchange data.
why?

I hate to say it, but I agree with Randy here.  Oh, how I wish the two were 100% accurately interchangeable, but why not build in a little 'job security' into the data so that the next guy will need my software to read it as well?  If I had a choice, I would never work with Microstation ever again, but I might change my tune once the upgrades are installed.  To be fair, I think that about 1/3 of the reason why I hate Microstation so much is because of the clients and the jobs we have to use it for.

tjr

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:10:49 PM »
why?
So you could do your work in AutoCAD and deliver it as MSta.

tjr

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 11:13:26 PM »
why?

Oh, how I wish the two were 100% accurately interchangeable, but why not build in a little 'job security' into the data so that the next guy will need my software to read it as well?
I would consider building 'job security' into the data so the next guy will need my software to read it as well to be a scumbag move.

CADaver

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »
why?
So you could do your work in AutoCAD and deliver it as MSta.
Why would I do that?  Look a couple of posts back, if the deliverable is Msta, use Msta. 

"Gee I wish this paint was grey and green that way I could paint that house grey and it would really be green." ???

CADaver

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 11:18:42 PM »
why?

Oh, how I wish the two were 100% accurately interchangeable, but why not build in a little 'job security' into the data so that the next guy will need my software to read it as well?
I would consider building 'job security' into the data so the next guy will need my software to read it as well to be a scumbag move.
Why?  Do you think Chevys are scumbags because their alternators won't fit Toyotas??