Author Topic: Time to redraw  (Read 3051 times)

Arch_Eric

Time to redraw
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »
I'm using ADT 2006 on an evolutionary computer (upgraded here and there over time). I'm working on a plan with an xref of the original building which is...260'x180' with tons of offices and such. When I click on the xref, it takes forever to redraw the highlighted lines. And moving it, I have to do blind  with osnaps because of the redraw time.

My computer is a Pentium D 3.0GHz with 1GB of RAM. My video card is somewhat low budget, because when I upgraded the motherboard, my old AGP card was useless. Its a GeForce 8400GS with 512MB (PCI-E). I have over 300GB of storage, and a 20GB hard drive (on its own IDE channel, Ultra DMA 6) for my swap file and temp files.

I would assume my video card is holding me back. And I would love to upgrade to a Quaddro, if money permitted. Anyone have suggestions for a card, or know of a hack that would help?  :ugly:

Or if you have a video card that you don't want anymore...

Re: Time to redraw
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »
What's the file size of the xref?  Is it 3D?  A lot of TTFs?

Arch_Eric

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 03:25:32 PM »
Its 512k, no 3D, lots of text and lines. It's just over 3300 entities. I've got alot of layers turned off, but the essentials are still on. I mean, I guess I could xclip it, but its not just this file, and I'm looking for a permanent fix. I also have long redraw times on my roof hatches on roofline drawings. Another problem I was having (that I fixed) was the default hatch (ANSI31 at 1.0 scale) in large areas would eat my lunch when I selected it. I just set the HPSCALE to 16 in my acaddoc.lsp.

Binky

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
Its 512k, no 3D, lots of text and lines. It's just over 3300 entities. I've got alot of layers turned off, but the essentials are still on. I mean, I guess I could xclip it, but its not just this file, and I'm looking for a permanent fix. I also have long redraw times on my roof hatches on roofline drawings. Another problem I was having (that I fixed) was the default hatch (ANSI31 at 1.0 scale) in large areas would eat my lunch when I selected it. I just set the HPSCALE to 16 in my acaddoc.lsp.

Any of that text True Type? they can bring Acad to it's knees.

Arch_Eric

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:35:48 PM »
All SHX.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »
Instead of turning off unused layers, try freezing them.

Without knowing what kind of hatches you have, I can say that if you have any of the hatches with tiny bits at a really small scale, it will cause AutoCAD to buckle. Try changing those hatches to solid hatch for example, instead of ANSI31 at 1.

Remove true type fonts, they are atrocious.

Purge the drawing to remove unreferenced blocks, layers etc. it will release some memory and could improve the performance.

Scan for unneeded registered apps, I have seen where there were thousands in a single drawing. They will cause the system to slow down.

Wblock the entire drawing back to itself. This will reset the handles in the drawing back to zero and reorganize the data causing the handles to be much smaller and require less memory space.

Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:29:09 PM »
check LTscale also, as this can cause long regen times
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »
Delete unused layer states.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »
Also try:

(command "-scalelistedit" "r" "y" "e")

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
Delete unused layer states.
and layer filters.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Arch_Eric

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
Its not that regen takes time, it's when I select the xref and it redraws every line with dashed lines to highlight it. Or when I move it, it has to redraw the xref while following my mouse.

Arch_Eric

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
I was looking at Quaddro video cards on newegg and saw this:
$2300 for a freakin video card.

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
How about upgrading to at least 2GB of RAM?  It's so cheap now days that it couldn't hurt.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:06 PM »
regenauto = off
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 10:16:05 PM »
Maybe you need to change your object selection settings to just dash and ignore xrefs....or dragp1 and dragp2 are set too high?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC