Author Topic: Need help creating 3D roof  (Read 17800 times)

Need help creating 3D roof
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:50:11 AM »
I've got a mostly 3D model of a building.  I want to add the roof so I can have a "complete" shell that I can drop onto a site plan.  The problem is, I haven't really done much with roofs (just a few roof slabs, nothing too complicated) and I'd like to create something that resembles the image below.  Is it possible to "merge" roof slabs to make a continuous roof object?  Or can I cut a hole in a roof (similar to RCP grids)?

Re: Need help creating 3D roof
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
Forgot to mention... AutoCAD Architecture (not Revit).

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:24:50 PM »
I could make a .dxf of the roof easily enough.  I don't know if you can import/use that though.

Dimensions?  Pitch? Is that middle section flat or is it a "hole" that walls are inside?

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 01:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the offer.

I was able to cobble something together using individual roof slabs and mitering them together.  It works for what I need.

Thanks again!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
Should have used the roof tool and explored the Gable/No Gable operation and then you should not have needed to merge anything together.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »
Should have used the roof tool and explored the Gable/No Gable operation and then you should not have needed to merge anything together.

No time to go "exploring"... gots to gets this done so's I can get it out da' do'h, yo!   :mrgreen:

daron

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
Just for future reference and anybody who doesn't know. Like Mike said, you should use the roof command. After you get your basics worked out, convert it to a set of slabs. Slabs can then be cut, mitered, take materials, etc.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:26:34 AM »
Just for future reference and anybody who doesn't know. Like Mike said, you should use the roof command. After you get your basics worked out, convert it to a set of slabs. Slabs can then be cut, mitered, take materials, etc.
That's partially what I did (I used the roofslab command).   I just went straight for the jugular and used slabs from the get-go!

I was able to cobble something together using individual roof slabs and mitering them together.  It works for what I need.

daron

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »
What I said IS not the same as what it sounds like you did. When I put together a roof object, I build it as much as possible with roof before converting them. I've had to do some roofs a few number of times over in order to get all the slopes and angles into one object. It makes it easier to manipulate the slabs after.

angiebuds

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 04:07:55 PM »
Well, your plan depends on the roof structure. The individual roof slabs are far better. It would benefit you a good painting experience.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:13:27 AM by angiebuds »