Author Topic: C3D - Point or Surface Label?  (Read 16050 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: C3D - Point or Surface Label?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
I thought you were going for that other look?   :?

Good work!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »
I thought you were going for that other look?   :?

Good work!

What.... this?!?

I was just curious to see how they got the formula in there to automatically add/subtract 0.5' for the height of the curb.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:33:51 PM »
That would be an) Expression

Under Points Collection you can Rt-Click and Create an Expression
Call it Surface_Minus
Then create the formula

Insert the {Surface Elevation value}-0.5 and choose to return that value as an elevation.

You then insert that expression as the text value in your point label style, within label style composer, instead of the actual surface elevation value.

C'mon lets see that expression go from  :oops:  to  :-) .
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:42:28 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »
Then, when you try the same trick using a Surface Reference Component in a General Note Label, and discover that you can't get to the expression from a Reference Component, watch that expression go from  :-) to  :cry: .

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
Hey, don't make him hate on C3D and autodesk.....

that's my job. :lmao:
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:33 AM »
Hey, don't make him hate on C3D and autodesk.....

that's my job. :lmao:

My list of "hate" items is increasing...  Right now, at the top is the pan/zoom *BOOM* drawing image becomes giant pixels!!  And the only way to "fix" it is to save, close, re-open.

surveyor_randy

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 08:27:07 AM »
Then, when you try the same trick using a Surface Reference Component in a General Note Label, and discover that you can't get to the expression from a Reference Component, watch that expression go from  :-) to  :cry: .

heh, that made me laugh, but it is *very* true!

Dinosaur

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »
My list of "hate" items is increasing...  Right now, at the top is the pan/zoom *BOOM* drawing image becomes giant pixels!!  And the only way to "fix" it is to save, close, re-open.
I am not positive of the problem, but have you tried the "regenall" command?  This command seems to be the solution to many display issues.

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »
I've tried REGEN, but not REGENALL and although the help file says REGEN and REGENALL do the same thing, I've noticed that this is not always the case.  For example, when doing a RENDERCROP, REGEN will NOT remove the rendered preview whereas REGENALL does!  I'll have to try to remember that the next time it happens.

FYI: I've noticed it happen in Paper Space; can't recall it ever happening in MS.

Dinosaur

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »
BINGO!  Have you also set ltscale, psltscale and msltscale ALL to "1"?  This will eliminate some these problems.

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 09:07:42 AM »
BINGO!  Have you also set ltscale, psltscale and msltscale ALL to "1"?  This will eliminate some these problems.

I can't do that (just yet).  Some of our custom text/dimension commands reference the LTScale for their size.  I am looking into making the switch to multi-leaders and annotative text for everything.

Dinosaur

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »
You may want to bump that up on your priority list unless you make it a habit on never working through a PS viewport.  Even a locked or maximized one will give you these display problems without those settings with Civil 3D.

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 09:25:10 AM »
You may want to bump that up on your priority list unless you make it a habit on never working through a PS viewport.  Even a locked or maximized one will give you these display problems without those settings with Civil 3D.

I can't even tell you the last time I worked THROUGH a PS viewport.  I just don't do it and I don't think any of the guys here do it either.  It's just a habit to always work in MS.

Dinosaur

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
You must be a fan of layer states then.  I never did care for them and with Civil 3D the layer issues just reinforced my opinion.  I would make a tab dedicated to one big viewport for editing and on certain tabs I would create a temporary unlocked copy of the viewport to do the edits in rather than mess with the layer visibility for the whole drawing.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
DinØ, I'm send people after you....
start looking over your shoulder....
The model space is your friend.
Layout tabs....not so much, work in the model, and use your Toolspace Transporter function to navigate.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell