Author Topic: Command Line Questions  (Read 3055 times)

M-dub

Command Line Questions
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
I find I'm often trying to find out if/how certain commands or settings are available at the command line, so I thought I'd make a thread dedicated to just that.

M-dub

Re: Command Line Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
Are Point Filters available at the command line?  I've been looking through the help files and haven't found anything yet... Still looking though.

daron

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:17:49 PM »
Not sure where you're coming from with point filters, but if you type .x at the command prompt it goes to explode. However, if in another command like "line", typing .x or .y on the  command line will work just like any other osnap.

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
I JUST found it.  Thanks Daron.

I wanted to use the X coordinate filter combined with the ENDPOINT Osnap.

*Note - For help on Point Filters, look up Coordinate Filters in the help file.

daron

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »
Have you ever tried track? Start a line, type track and pick an object by snap or any point in space and select other points. It's like x and y filters combined and it's a lot tighter than ortomode as it doesn't change position as easily. When you find the point you really want, hit enter and the line will be started. They used to have it in the osnap menu for about two releases then took it out, but left the function in.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »
I agree Daron, only sometimes Object Tracking is a littel cumbersome/slow to use as compared to simple point filters.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »
That, and some of the end users will be using R14... *shudder*

Whether tracking was available in R14 or not, they might not be up to speed with it, anyway.

sinc

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »
At one point, I had actually gotten pretty good with temporary tracking points, direct-distance entry, parallel and ext osnaps, et al.  I had all kinds of tricks that let me draw all kinds of things in a wide variety of ways, with none of the temporary "construction objects" that others use so often, etc.

Then Autodesk came out with a new release (2007, I believe) where a bunch of this no longer worked very well.  Then I switched to Civil-3D, where much of it doesn't work at all.

So now I've forgotten many of those nifty TTP tricks et al. that used to come in so handy, so often.  But that's progress...    :-P

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
I still really like Point Filters and 'BTWN.

daron

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:21:50 PM »
That, and some of the end users will be using R14... *shudder*

Whether tracking was available in R14 or not, they might not be up to speed with it, anyway.
Actually, now that you mention it, I believe it was introduced in R14, or that's at least when I noticed it. I used for a specific task while it was in the osnap menu. When they took it out I was not too happy, but then the subdivision I specifically used it for was ending and I no longer needed it. I just got used to the quirkiness of from and what they now call tracking points. They're much more to my liking now anyway. Speaking of from, I believe track and from came out in the same release. I could be wrong though. I'm going from memory and that's been about 8-9 years since using R14.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:56 PM »
In general Sinc the whole idea that autocad commands that do not work within C3D just kills me.
HOW in the world did they never test to see that this thing cobbled onto autocad failed to work with even some of the most basic cad functionality?   :realmad:

I mean really, it IS inside autocad.  Then again they didn't bother to see that the C3D objects would work with MAP inside C3D either.

It might seem the inmates have control of the asylum.

Part of your solution will be greater use of the Transparent Commands within C3D.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

M-dub

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »
Man, from what I 'read', I sure am glad I don't have to use C3D.  I think the ratio seems to be 1 Pro to every 5 Cons!

daron

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 03:26:10 PM »
I still really like Point Filters and 'BTWN.
You know how every time you get or create a really cool little app to use, Autocad's next release contains it? They finally got wise and put that in the osnap menu in 06 I think.

At one point, I had actually gotten pretty good with temporary tracking points, direct-distance entry, parallel and ext osnaps, et al.  I had all kinds of tricks that let me draw all kinds of things in a wide variety of ways, with none of the temporary "construction objects" that others use so often, etc.

Then Autodesk came out with a new release (2007, I believe) where a bunch of this no longer worked very well.  Then I switched to Civil-3D, where much of it doesn't work at all.

So now I've forgotten many of those nifty TTP tricks et al. that used to come in so handy, so often.  But that's progress...    :-P
After reading that your dog avatar looks even sadder. That's too bad and surprising.

daron

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 03:28:50 PM »
Man, from what I 'read', I sure am glad I don't have to use C3D.  I think the ratio seems to be 1 Pro to every 5 Cons!
times 2.

sinc

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
After reading that your dog avatar looks even sadder. That's too bad and surprising.

You think she looks sad in that picture?  Interesting.  Never thought of it that way.