Author Topic: Textures and material display  (Read 5461 times)

John Mayo

Textures and material display
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:58:36 PM »
I cannot get C3D, LDT or AutoCAD to display the textures/materials I just see the objects colored like the material.

The realistic shademode is set to display materials and textures.

3Dconfig is also set up to show the materials & texture.

I was able to see the textures on my home PC but I reinstalled Windows & now I cannot get textures & materials to display correctly.

Does anyone know if this is an AutoCAD issue or a video card issue? I do have a current driver.

John

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Textures and material display
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »
John it seems to work here with no issues.
To test I disabled ALL adaptive degradation, under 3D settings.

Post a sample of your file for dissection.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:52:42 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

John Mayo

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »
This should be showing the same short greass & brooomed concrete on the foundation.

??

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 05:01:03 PM »
I've run into similar issues before with MEP 08 and the fix was to modify the scale of the material in the Materials dialog palette.  It was trial and error until I got it right.

If you zoom in really tight it probably looks correct.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
I'm happy to look at the file...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

John Mayo

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 09:19:48 PM »
Okay I got it going. Matt led me to the material property dialog (big thanks!) where I noticed the texture bitmaps were not being found.

Strange but on my home PC & I would now assume on the work PC's, no texture folder was created for the installs of C3D or LDT 08 & 09.

I found the folder in the admin image & copied it to the Texture support path(s).

Zen for the moment. Tomorrow I look closer at the admin image.

Many thanks.

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 08:06:02 AM »
Looks like a fun project. :-)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »
Could I ask, how did you guys set this up? To get your surface from Civil3D to do that?
Thanks!!! if that is the case. for me, I would not have to use Sketchup anymore...
Civil3D 2020

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:33 AM »
Could I ask, how did you guys set this up? To get your surface from Civil3D to do that?
Thanks!!! if that is the case. for me, I would not have to use Sketchup anymore...

Secondary question: How were the walls created? Are those architectural objects from the model or did you use solids in C3D?

John Mayo

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:55:22 AM »
Update on the issue first. Setup places my textures here.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\C3D 2009\enu\Textures

Civil 3D is looking here.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\Civil 3D 2009\enu\Textures

That in a nutshell was the problem at home & work.

The as-built foundation is a separate surface data ref'd into my FG. The surface is comprised of 35 plines & 4 3d plines. It was modeled for the wall designer & the presentaions I need for the meetings.

The FG surface was done in a file with feature lines & dref'ed into another for presentations. For each render material I had to copy the surface & apply a new outer boundary. So I have a copy of FG for the grass, walls, pavement & conc decks.

This works fine for this 5 unit building on a couple of acres. It is  very demanding on our PC's which were purchased 4 years ago for LDD.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »

Just create a surface style for Rendering with the Triangles ON in all views (2d/3d, or Plan, Model)
Then attach the desired materials to the surface as a whole, or on each 3d face selectively.  And have a Nice Render!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
Wow... I like Michaels Idea better. How ever I did find this dwg on line with surfaces... Does this seem practical?
Civil3D 2020

John Mayo

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
Michael how do you apply a material to individual triangles? I did not think I could do this in C3D.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
In Land one assigns the Render Material within the Code Set assigned to each link within the Assemblies. The render Material is then automatically assigned to those triangles for you when you bring in those coded links.

OR

One may use the Surface>>Utilities>>Extract Objects From Surface....
And Lift the Surface triangles directly into the file for further 3d manipulation. Note your surface style will need have the Triangle display ON in order to extract them.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

John Mayo

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »
Ahh haa. Yes I have a code set to render our corridors but I didn't think of extracting the triangles for surfaces. I cna't believe it since I use the command often to extract boundaries (why can't I get 2d area of a surface in a label) & zero elevation contours.

Now I can do it like I did in LDT! One surface applying different boundaries & extracting triagles to appropriate layers. I may have given up on that method in C3D 07. Wasn't surface extraction new in 08? Perhaps I just missed in in 07. I know I tried. I even went as far as trying to explode a surface but then I gave up because there were to many triangles to select individually or even with crossing windows. The curbs were brutal.

Thanks again for everything!