Author Topic: Designing Roads to Back of Curb Rather than Centerline  (Read 4973 times)

Dinosaur

Designing Roads to Back of Curb Rather than Centerline
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
I brought this question up once but never got it resolved.  Now I am cleaning up my template and since 2009 allows saving and sharing assemblies, I would like to finally get my assemblies to really match what is going to be staked and built.

The standard practice in this area for street design is to design under the assumption that the back of curb elevations will be equal to the design centerline regardless of pavement width, turn lanes or any other factor.  Using that assumption, the back of curbs are staked accordingly and the actual centerline crown elevation is established by wherever the 2% slopes meet coming up from either side.  Please believe me, NOTHING is going to alter this methodology.  To this point, I have just ignored the problem and accepted the fact of not having true elevations at my back of curb and resort to trying to hover over the centerline at the correct station when I need a true elevation.

Is there an OOTB subassembly or method of assembly creation that will allow me to design to centerline and have the back of curb always match those elevations?  I used to draw streets in Colorado that were designed at the flowline which is pretty much what I think I need to do, but I don't Civil 3D is built to allow this and even if it were, I would expect extreme resistance at all levels.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:29:55 PM by DinØsaur »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Designing Roads to Back of Curb Rather than Centerline
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:22:30 PM »
Sure there is.

If you think about it, you already know how.

This template uses the Left BC alignment and Profile , and Can follow A centerline Alignment and profile, use default slope. I included an ofset for the sidewalk in case it wants to meander.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:35:10 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »
I have never tried to use anything other than the centerline design profile for the corridor.  How are the profiles for the curb lines established so this assembly can be attached to it?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:05:25 AM »
Well.....

One can design in a Centerline Profile and then Superimpose to the Curb Profiles.....
Or as you say, Curb IS Centerline, just design it that way straight off.
With the flex, Ive built into the template shown, you can even still warp the crown out
as you go through intersections.

We, (you , the others, and I) need to spend some time together so your life can get easier. And they can make some profits.   
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:12:18 AM »
Well.....

One can design in a Centerline Profile and then Superimpose to the Curb Profiles.....
Or as you say, Curb IS Centerline, just design it that way straight off.
With the flex, Ive built into the template shown, you can even still warp the crown out
as you go through intersections.

We, (you , the others, and I) need to spend some time together so your life can get easier. And they can make some profits.   

The point I can't get past is what the design profile would BE at the back of curb.  I can see how to accommodate the horizontal curves and warp the profile, but I may have a short tangent and parts of two vertical curves within that horizontal curve - just accounting for the warping with one included vertical curve is stopping me cold.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14:50 AM »
What part of including the Vertical is the STUMP?

Adding in the first place or?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:24:44 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:29:09 AM »
I can't even visualize such a VC.  The slopes in and out are going to be different from the centerline, the length is going to be different.  It would seem that the vertical tangents will not be truly tangent and above all else, any high and low points for both sides must line up with their brother at the centerline.  I don't know how to start creating such a beast and I would think situations where the VC spanned the stations where a horizontal curve began or ended should be equally daunting.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 12:54:54 AM »
Believe it or not there are tools in C3D that actually help.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »
Believe it or not there are tools in C3D that actually help.
Of that Michael, I have little doubt.  After 3 1/2 years fighting what has finally become a losing battle with Civil 3D, I know that hidden somewhere in all of the obtuse interfaces, jaw breaking command names, cryptic help listings and settings that give a promise of working in multiple places yet all but one fail miserably to release their secrets, is the exact tool to do just about anything I really need to do.
Due to not exactly unforeseen circumstances, this is not as high on my priority list now to solve but I am still quite curious, especially so now that you have confirmed the existence of such a tool.  I do not know if any other user has or will ever face this particular problem, but on the off chance there are would you consider giving a few more clues?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 12:44:01 AM »
Stay tuned, as I am adding some touches to data that will cover some ideas about corridors this very eve.
It may not address all of the mystery you are confronting, however it let me get the rabbit in the hat.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »
OK, Go check in on http://www.primeservicesglobal.com/tutorials.htm, and grab this one: Corridor Navigation Civil 3D 2009: Prospector Tab as a Teleporter, and Getting to Know your Sub-Assemblies by any other name makes life Sweet.

There are a few items in there that you should be able to use in your Curb as Design Constraint process.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »
Thanks Michael . . . FYI, the r2009 interface presentation seems to have a bad link.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »
No, thank you! The Link is now current.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

John Mayo

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
OMG I thought we were alone on an island with the practice. TC=CL. I have tried to do this a couple of times & wound up in the same state of corridor confusion. I wound up doing the superimposition as Michael suggested.

Bear in mind I have done this on only two small projects and I have been told it is not a very good design method but it got me what I needed.

We typically have a pline of our curb from concept plans. I make it an alignment right off the bat.

I calc'd the cross slope based on cartway width. & create an assembly using link width & slope on both sides set to the calc'd cross slope.
I create a temporary corridor from the CL profile which extends well past the curbline.
I created a profile from the temporary corridor surface.
I created another profile by layout (corridor surface makes a nasty profile sometimes) to use as a design curbline that could be the baseline for the real corridor.

I did this before we had DShortcuts working so I'm thinking it may be good to keep the temp corridor in a separate file. I also held bottom of curb for the design. I think if I tried agian I would go to the TC.

One nice by product is your intersection curb returns won't need thier own profile view.

Good luck & please keep us posted. I am very interested to hear more.

John Mayo

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
"I can't even visualize such a VC"

You will once the temp corridor surface is placed in a profile. Trace & fit curves to match it.