Author Topic: Showing pipe cross overs on long sections  (Read 10134 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Showing pipe cross overs on long sections
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:40 AM »
This would be an astounding event considering that nearly two years ago I was told by an autodesk individual they did not have the bandwidth nor plans for updating pipes. I guess they finally get it that pipes is basically broken in fundamental ways that need to be fixed.

Now if they can get it that Sites and Parcels and how they are implemented is just as shot.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Dinosaur

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
Ah, Michael . . . remember every journey has a first step and this one is huge.  I am already fiddling with my pipes one end at a time and having resets when I move the structure, but with this I can hopefully trust some numbers again and more importantly, it has been demonstrated that the pipes can act the way they are supposed to when they are placed where they need to be.  There is much distance to travel indeed but it is grand to finally be moving.  Thank you Dana and also your associate.  It would have been much easier for either of you to just repeat the standard chant that the program was responding as designed.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2008, 09:33:19 AM »
Yes DinØ, however as you said the first step is rarely taken by autodesk. That step would be listening to the customers and ACCEPTING that there is a problem. And then once one accepts there is a problem,only THEN can actions be taken to solve same.  As you said the standard is to deny there is a problem; and this prevents action from being taken.

If we were to start a timer right now, and or start a 'pool' how long do you think it will take before A) pipes do not need this hack to work, or B)pipes actually respond dynamically to changes in the start of run invert instead of the user needing to adjust all inverts along the run?

1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
2 years
5 years
Never

Keep in mind one should not need to add normal program functions (as in it actually functions) to a WISH list and wait for ones wishes to come true. Unless you are still believing in the tooth fairy. This should be a normal service pack item. And to that item; Service Packs should be released more frequently and more targeted to the features and functions that do not function. Instead of one or two in a year as with the 2008 release, and with each of those breaking things that weren't broken before the patch. Perhaps this SINGLE item approach might make for smoother, and or selective deployment of patches. I say this as there are times that particular things that a patch was supposed to solve, have often not been a problem for some users so they do not install the larger patches at all because they fear what the patch may break.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:39:40 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:49 AM »
I doubt that pipes will ever meet either of those criteria . . . at least without a major overhaul or completely new program architecture.  We are approaching the point with Civil 3D where DCA was when it became Softdesk and within a few more years I expect a mature product to emerge with pipe, survey and parcels at least looking much different and working far better than they do at present.  Land Desktop took a long time to appear in its final form.  Civil 3D is still establishing that pipes can function and interact, even poorly, with other Civil 3D objects.  I also expect that by the time everything in Civil 3D really works well, most of us fighting to get Civil 3D established and accepted will be dragging hiney like the old LDT die hards today and refusing to give up the tried and true Civil 3D in favor of the upstart replacement that "just isn't ready for production work yet."  I hope I am able to retire before then . . . I don't want to fight on either side of that battle.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »
DinØ,

I didn't know that autodesk has gotten you to be as jaded and suspicious of them as myself.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »
It is mostly from the luxury of no longer having to meet budgets and deadlines with the software in its current form.  I am having way too much time to sit back and have philosophical discussions with myself.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »
It is mostly from the luxury of no longer having to meet budgets and deadlines with the software in its current form.  I am having way too much time to sit back and have philosophical discussions with myself.

Be careful.......

You might turn into me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »
  NO !

PLEASE . . . make it stop !

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:50:34 PM by DinØsaur »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:27 AM »
nice....Only I think you might still be too GREEN to turn into a barking dog :lmao:

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »
If we were to start a timer right now, and or start a 'pool' how long do you think it will take before A) pipes do not need this hack to work, or B)pipes actually respond dynamically to changes in the start of run invert instead of the user needing to adjust all inverts along the run?

1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
2 years
5 years
Never

Well, it took them over two years to get leading zeros in bearings, so a complete rework of pipes...?  That's got to take ten years, at least.   :?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »
I don't think it would take a complete rework of all of pipes to fix these issues.

I think it would require that autodesk simply admit that parts of it do not work, stop adding them to some technical document release after release, and actually FIX the problems. Be aware of a problem and actually fixing that problem are not the same thing.

And wow, you guys are even more pessimistic about this than I???  I didn't even think that possible.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »
Wouldn't you agree that it is difficult to remain optimistic with a company like Autodesk after being witness to their history?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »
Wouldn't you agree that it is difficult to remain optimistic with a company like Autodesk after being witness to their history?

Did not say that I was optimistic, just did not think it was possible to be more jaded towards autodesk than myself.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell