Author Topic: Divide command with ADT objects?  (Read 5885 times)

megamike

Divide command with ADT objects?
« on: September 07, 2004, 02:08:14 PM »
Can you use ADT objects with AutoCad Divide command?
For example, I want to add 2 ADT window objects to an ADT wall object at 1/3  and 2/3 points on the wall.
If I were inserting a block I would :

Command: divide<>
Select object to divide:(select wall object) <>
Enter the number of segments or [Block]: b
Enter name of block to insert: w3648 (a pre defined block)
Align block with object? [Yes/No] <Y>: n
Enter the number of segments: 3

The block is inserted at 1/3 point and 2/3 point on wall object.

An ADT object is not recognized as a block, so this will not work with ADT window objects.
I currently use divide to set 2 points on the wall object, and then use the points to align the window objects after they are inserted.
Or do the math, and use the automatic offset feature in the Add Windows dialog box.
Works OK, but not very efficient.
Maybe this works in newer versions, I dunno, but I am stuck with ADT3.3

daron

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 08:36:17 AM »
It seems that you answered your own question, but you can divide a line and snap to the nodes.

ryandk

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 10:23:57 AM »
I just tried dividing a wall into 2 and it placed the node where it should be.

Used ADT3.0.

Ryan

megamike

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 03:30:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
begin rant - I was trying to get a job done quickly and I guess I was just a tad frustrated thas SOME autocad commands work with SOME ADT objects and others won't work with SOME ADT objects. The architect wanted 3 windows equally spaced on this wall, and 8 windows equally spaced on that wall, etc. So I thought of the "divide" command where you can insert blocks instead of nodes -WRONG, won't work!  :evil:  Sure I can use the nodes to set the windows. but was not the timesaver I was looking for, so I thought "Array" -WRONG, won't work with window objects, works fine with wall objects, why not windows or doors?  :x
Why is it I can offset, extend, trim or array wall objects, but fillet w/r=0 won't work? Guess it is just part of the un-learning curve when "upgrading" from autocad14 with softdesk S-8 to ADT3.3
Seems like for every cool new tool I discover in ADT I find I have given up 2 that I am used to using in S-8 :!:  -end of rant :roll:
Rush job is done.. AE brought in donuts this AM...got time for web surfin'... I'm OK now, thanks :)