Author Topic: Autodesk and Surveyors  (Read 16745 times)

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
Re: Autodesk and Surveyors
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »
That is an interesting tidbit?
Ya know, sometimes you have some good information that folks can learn from. Othertimes you seem to live in a complete Utopia and think the world should comply with that model. Then others, such as this, make me wonder why I read your posts.

Why you feel like you have to make stupid remarks towards, or about, people who have been trying to get C3D to work how us users would like it be (much like you claim to), is beyond me. Please, do everyone a favor and keep your personal jabs to yourself. I doubt I'm the only one who is tired of seeing this type of useless post.

No, I won't respond to any quick comeback you may have. I have said what I felt I should and have nothing more to say about it.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »
That is an interesting tidbit?
Ya know, sometimes you have some good information that folks can learn from. Othertimes you seem to live in a complete Utopia and think the world should comply with that model. Then others, such as this, make me wonder why I read your posts.

Why you feel like you have to make stupid remarks towards, or about, people who have been trying to get C3D to work how us users would like it be (much like you claim to), is beyond me. Please, do everyone a favor and keep your personal jabs to yourself. I doubt I'm the only one who is tired of seeing this type of useless post.

No, I won't respond to any quick comeback you may have. I have said what I felt I should and have nothing more to say about it.

I do not live in a complete Utopia, nor believe anyone need comply, I merely offer an alternate view, that some may choose to consider thoughtfully.

I just found it interesting that despite of and in the face of those folks pushing C3D  are now reversing their field so to speak.
Keep in mind that for the most part EE, is in the business of selling autodesk products, training, and support, they are not product developers, nor do they really assert any influence on said developers as they themselves have expressed in other posts.

Most interesting that you want to make commentary, and then not wish to engage in discussion. My posts are here to offer solutions to issues, or alternate views, and to perhaps stimulate thoughtfull discussion. That is probably why you read then in the first place.

This particular 'jab' as you consider it, is simply a pointed observation that these purveyors of autodesk product and propaganda, now see fit to sell a competing product.

The fact that you are offended by it, and believe it is your place to attempt to silence any non consenting view that doesn't match yours is an interesting position for you to take. I find it very interesting that you feel a need to defend them, in this manner. 
For what it's worth, perhaps the only posts of mine you should read are when I solve your cad issues, as you seem to be so intolerant of others opinions. Or when you see an opinion you can't embrace do as you suggest you will do, and not comment on it, just think about it and maybe one day you will be more open to other ideas, and some of them will make sense within your worldview.

And the post that you think are worthless might have some value to others whom are able to consider other points of view. Even some that have disagreed with some of my positions later admit that my whacked out views did give them food for thought.  Bon appetite!

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
Jeff_M, if you were to meet Mike in person (have you?) you may not take some of his comments in such a way. These discussion forums are wonderful, but you can't always get the full tone of the message simply by text that is typed out.

Dinosaur

« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2008, 01:33:30 PM »
I may have misspoke slightly . . . per their new website EE lists only the FieldGenius software for sale NOT the full MicroSurvey product . . . my appologies.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2008, 02:19:33 PM »
dfarris, no I have net met Michael in person. Nor have I met any of the EE folks in person. I am well aware of the fact this medium does not convey message tones, facial expressions, etc. Which is why I cannot fathom WHY Michael continually beats on the EE people and even the C3DAutodesk team as much as he does.

I have had the urge to write before about this, and actually have but decided against sending the message. I am usually quite easy going and really do try to see the poster's point of view as they may be trying to convey it. But his constant negativity towards those who also are here trying to help just finally rubbed the skin down to bleeding sores and I couldn't take it anymore.

I do appreciate the time he puts into helping others. I also appreciate the time all the others put into helping all of us. But when he attacks those that are essentially here trying to do the same as he, that's what I don't need to hear/read.

Michael,
It wasn't an attempt to defend EE as I'm sure they could do that themselves. It was MY observation that your negative, unsubstantiated, opinion should be left at the door in this case. Din0 gave an informed, useful, response to Craig and somehow you felt the need to make an unnecessary comment that had nothing to do with helping anyone.

Again, I am NOT attempting to defend the EE team. This is merely what I have observed over the years.....
Every one of them has said, at one time or another,:
   that C3D has issues
   that C3D may NOT be the best choice for a firm's work flow
   yeah, I think that the ***** (insert command of your choice here) sucks rocks, too.
   that there ARE other choices out there
   What can I do to help you get through this?

Not once have I seen them blast another user/teacher for their participation in what ever form that may take. And that even applies to you, even after the shots you've taken at them.

So, to summarize since it seemed to go right past you or my facial expression wasn't caught :-/ ....
You're views are just that, your views. I have no problem with you expressing them and I even read a good majority of them, so long as they remain constructive and thought provoking. This, to me, is not "thought provoking":
Quote from: MJF
For some reason one would expect that those folks autodesk tattoed on their soul. And here I see that they now represent and sell a competing product to c3d. Wow, I think I may have to keep an eye on the sky and a large umbrella in case that flock of winged porcine happen overhead.
There is not one thing there that is of benefit to anyone, except maybe yourself. And THAT is what I took offense to.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »
I think some of what you perceive as 'shots' taken at others, is simply your view of the exchange.

When those others posit themselves as 'masters' of the 3d universe, and their clients seem to suffer for it, I happen to notice that and point it out.

Perhaps I need to put on blinders and ignore the facts that present themselves, and let other readers make their own judgement.

I will keep this in mind, however it may not change the manner that you interpret my posts.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Craig Davis

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2008, 07:32:33 PM »
Thanks for that Dino. I'll go check it out.

jpostlewait

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
>>When those others posit themselves as 'masters' of the 3d universe, and their clients seem to suffer for it, I happen to notice that and point it out. <<

Masters was the title of a series of texts.
And if you suggest they are not, ask the product developers.
If you need addresses I have them.
This client didn't suffer for it so which one did?
The only thing you seem to point out consistently is a list of the product flaws and your ability to overcome them. Or the current whine about the lack of project management tools. We manage our projects fine with the existing toolset and it frankly is beyond me how you would remove the users from the project management phase and improve the use.

All projects are not the same and the software cannot possibly account for all things that may need to be addressed.
Project management is best left to the people that manage projects and not the people who write code.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:35 PM »
Respectfully, go back and read some of the post you made in "What I've learned".
No suffering? Really that is not what I saw you post there. And I will save everyone the embarrassment of naming other names, in an attempt to appear to be attacking no one.

The current whine about lack of project management tools actually extends back about 3 years. This in not a new complaint, it is a continuing issue. Irrespective of what you or your users are doing. Read some of sinc's post and tell me you would not enjoy the benefits he and I speak to in regards actual project management. <not version control and backup functions as vault currently serves in your addmitedly limitted functionality>

The addresses you offer to provide will 'prove' nothing. Just because they have met with and exchanged emails with some of these people is meaningless in the bigger scope of things. As they seem all to willing to accept and apologize for the products shortcomings, and autodesk's unresponsiveness to customer needs. Go read some of my objections to the book and what it lacked, in terms of being critical of the bugs, defects, and deficiencies of C3D to see my point.

Now if those people want to really discuss the chunks of junk in C3D with me my email address is in my profile. And for ease of use mailto:mjfarrell@earthlink.net. My inbox is now open.

Trust this, I believe that they believe they are working as hard as they can doing what they do. And largely they do a good job of it.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Alan Cullen

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 04:30:09 AM »
G'day everyone. I'm new here, as you can tell. Dino asked me to come here and join this group. Dunno if I'll be much help. I have done a Civil 3D course, but I don't use it. I use 12D Model. But on the plus side a bit, I am a surveyor. Currently doing Civil design.

Please don't pick on me.  :roll: :roll: :lmao:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2008, 06:46:12 AM »
Welcom Alan!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Alan Cullen

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2008, 07:48:20 AM »
Thanks, Mike.

Hope I can somehow fit in here.

I guess time will tell.  :wink:

dfarris75

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2008, 08:59:15 AM »
Hey Alan! Welcome from rustysilo.  :wink:

surveyor_randy

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »
G'day everyone. I'm new here, as you can tell. Dino asked me to come here and join this group. Dunno if I'll be much help. I have done a Civil 3D course, but I don't use it. I use 12D Model. But on the plus side a bit, I am a surveyor. Currently doing Civil design.

Please don't pick on me.  :roll: :roll: :lmao:

Welcome!  Sinc and myself are surveyors as well, I don't know about anyone else...  I think most here might be...ummm....*cough* engineers *cough* but don't let that discourage ya!  :-)

Dinosaur

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2008, 03:12:29 PM »
at least you didn't call us artichokes . . .