Author Topic: Sharing standards across multiple offices  (Read 5694 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Sharing standards across multiple offices
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:56 AM »
Hi all

I am in the process of setting up a series of jobs for a big client.
The drawing template and cad manual are now set up (and awaiting client approval), but as the client is anxious for all drawings to follow the standards, I am now looking for ideas on methods of sharing all the resources across multiple offices and multiple sub-contractors. I would love to hear how other companies ensure cad users use the blocks/symbols, text styles and generally follow the clients standards.

For example I was toying with the idea of using tool-pallettes for the block library. Has anyone had any problems with this.

I am also toying with the idea of creating a workspace for this job, but how easy is that to roll-out and enforce in offices throughout the country.

Anything I sould avoid?

Is there anything I have forgotten/missed?

Any advice for setting up and monitoring such a big job would be very welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks
T :-)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Avanti

Re: Sharing standards across multiple offices
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:58:53 AM »
It sounds like you're on the right track. 

Setting up the standards is the easy part.  Getting people to use them is more of a challange.  It may be helpful to consult the users about their preferences.  If they feel involved in the process then they'll be more likely to cooperate.

Betty

deegeecees

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »
Tracey, I've had the same responsibilities in past employment, the biggest and probably most important aspect of retaining some kind of standardization is directory structures. I used a self extracting zip file with a README.TXT, and a .bat to take care of setup on a remote machine, as well as an entire office setup. Lisp, and VBA routines kept the standards in line from there. If you need more help, let me know, and I'll dig through my old stuff to see if it can be applied to your situation, but keep in mind that I was using R2000 through my stint as Cad Manager.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
It sounds like you're on the right track. 

Setting up the standards is the easy part.  Getting people to use them is more of a challange.  It may be helpful to consult the users about their preferences.  If they feel involved in the process then they'll be more likely to cooperate.

Betty

The standards are client driven, and they have now been issued to the client for their input. I guess the hard part will be to get more than 30 offices to adopt them for this job.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:59:40 PM »
Tracey, I've had the same responsibilities in past employment, the biggest and probably most important aspect of retaining some kind of standardization is directory structures. I used a self extracting zip file with a README.TXT, and a .bat to take care of setup on a remote machine, as well as an entire office setup. Lisp, and VBA routines kept the standards in line from there. If you need more help, let me know, and I'll dig through my old stuff to see if it can be applied to your situation, but keep in mind that I was using R2000 through my stint as Cad Manager.
DCG, can you expand how you could enforce the directory structures. Once it gets past the drive letter its OK, but some other offices may not map the drive letters the same as ours, and that is wayy beyond my control

deegeecees

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »
That was a big issue I had, and had to force them to change some things, otherwise, pure chaos. I've got some pressing issues I need to address, but for now here are some threads that helped me get through that aspect of it:

This one will show my noobness...
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=6486.msg79439#msg79439

I finally figure it out in this one (actually ronjonp takes all credit for showing me the what/howto)...
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=7991.msg101868#msg101868

deegeecees

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »
...what a coincidence! The "pressing issues" include some drawings that were created by the company that I Cad Managed during the time of my employment. Right after I posted above, I got an email from one of our outsources that sent me these drawings, and I opened them up, and got a bit of deja vu. I feel like the prodigal son has returned.

mmmm, thems good standards!

deegeecees

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
Get anything worked out Tracey?

Avanti

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 03:43:05 PM »
Sorry, if I wasn't clear.  I didn't mean involve the users in creating the standards only in how they're implemented. 

For example, ask them if they want the tool-pallettes or if they have suggestions about how they'd like to see them done.  Maybe they have some knowlege of managing text styles.  Try to relate to their experience.

As a woman, you'll automatically meet some resistance.  Just a few thought to make your life a little easier.

Betty

hendie

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:30 AM »
Tracey, I've had the same responsibilities in past employment, the biggest and probably most important aspect of retaining some kind of standardization is directory structures. ...
DCG, can you expand how you could enforce the directory structures. Once it gets past the drive letter its OK, but some other offices may not map the drive letters the same as ours, and that is wayy beyond my control

Jonesy, if you are trying to manage all this across several offices, you really should look into a document management system, it would make your life just SOooooo much easier.
You can share ONE block library across all the offices, control the directory structure any way you wish, and no-one can interfere with it, forget about revision control, never have to worry about losing a drawing, know who's got which drawing at any time, know who did what to any drawing at any time... the list goes on.....
The money spent on a good EDMS would be recouped in one project with time saved and problems solved, and the cost isn't that great when it comes down to it, it really isn't. Everything after that is just increased profit.
I know I keep spouting on about this but your question comes up so many times and there is an easy answer (or relatively easy)
pm me if you want to chat about it

sinc

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »
Unfortunately, Autodesk doesn't seem to want the Civil people to use a good ADMS.  Instead, they're trying to lock us all into using Vault, which is rather pathetic as ADMS systems go, and is also integrated in an extremely poor fashion with C3D.  It's a lose-lose situation all around, but an unfortunate number of people seem to be eating it up.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:45 AM »
I have issued a rough draft of standards, and have started to get my comments back.... yikes... everyone wants to work their own way!

First big thing first, I need as many reasons as I can to fire at the users as to WHY objects must be drawn "bylayer" (apart from the fact the main company manual says so).

SO.. anyone have any benefits and drawbacks to using "bylayer"

All advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks
T :-)

hendie

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 07:38:45 AM »
you only need one reason ~ consistency !

if everyone wants to work their own way and they're questioning things like why must objects be drawn bylayer then I think you have a fight on your hands.