Author Topic: (AutoCAD LT) Change Dims from 3' to 36"?  (Read 7782 times)

craigr

Re: Change Dims from 3' to 36"?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 03:22:30 PM »
Whilst that does work, you will have to override every dim to fix the problem.  You should figure out how to set the style so all dims work correctly

In this particular drawing the override will suffice. But, as you said, I would like to find the setting to make it my standard.

craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
Are you drawing 1 units = 1 foot, or 1 unit = 1 inch? -

I'm not sure what you mean, but I found a fix.

'Text override' in the Properties box.

craigr

DUDE!  NO!  *slaps hand*  Bad Drafter!

Overridden dimensions are the bane of CAD technology.  If you must, then go on, but that's the one thing I'll ever universally admonish a person for.  This is opinion, mind you, so take it or leave it.

Just get you dimension style correct, man!

When I asked how you draw... when you a draw a line "1.0000" units long... in your head, are you thinking one inch long, or one foot long?  This will matter a bit.

Primary Units tab:  See below... note the suffix box, the unit format box, and the preview.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
If you use fractional inches instead of decimal inches (example: 26 1/4" as opposed to 26.250")  then you would select Fractional in the UNIT FORMAT instead of Decimal and the precision is obviously just whatever your office uses.

craigr

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »
That's it!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for.

I kept missing the 'Suffix' part - I didn't understand what it was for.

I bow to your greatness :)

Thanks,
craigr

Josh Nieman

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »
The only thing I use the suffix for is when I ever have to dimension diameters.  In this industry, the diameter symbol goes as you read it... 21"%%c  Twenty-one inches diameter.  The symbol is last.

Autocad puts the symbol in front, as is standard in manufacturing, machining and others, which is a bit backwards, but natural if you're in that industry (as I was when I started)