Author Topic: LT Add-on, 3rd Party software  (Read 103373 times)

Gazza

Re: LT Add-on, 3rd Party software
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »
Quote from: Bob Wahr
If I were a framer who was starting my own company, I would buy a hell of a lot more than a hammer and spend a hell of a lot more than $8k.  Starting a business requires capital.  Starting a business without sufficient capital is why such an incredibly high percentage of companies fail in the first year.

I was about to reply, then I scrolled down and read this.
That pretty much sums up what I was going to say!

I participate in another forum made up primarily of professionals in a certain industry.
These members often gripe about how they should be respected as a profession and people should not question their fees. These SAME people are the first to stand up and gripe about the cost of computers and software. It's amazing how some people don't have a problem charging a client big bucks, but spend hours looking for free software....

I guess the question is do you actually own a LT version or a 3rd party app running with it
and do you really know the difference?

If you don't you are assuming that if you spend more money then you are more productive!
Ask the guys running Mech-Q on LT if they are more productive than running with
the full version of Acad.

And with the theme on framing I have seen a framing schedule and cutting list created on LT
with a bom in a blink! Do that in ACAD.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 09:06:10 AM »
If I were a framer who was starting my own company, I would buy a hell of a lot more than a hammer and spend a hell of a lot more than $8k.  Starting a business requires capital.  Starting a business without sufficient capital is why such an incredibly high percentage of companies fail in the first year.
And with the theme on framing I have seen a framing schedule and cutting list created on LT

Erm.. lsp?  Arx?  I've seen it done quite often.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »

I guess the question is do you actually own a LT version
yes
or a 3rd party app running with it
no
and do you really know the difference?
Yes, I know the difference between LT and a 3rd part app

If you don't you are assuming that if you spend more money then you are more productive!
Has nothing to do with spending money, but I can guarantee that I am more productive with the full version
Ask the guys running Mech-Q on LT if they are more productive than running with
the full version of Acad.
But are they as productive or more productive than someone using a similar vertical in ACAD?

I saw something that did that back around '92.  I don't doubt that there are very similar things in abundance out there but am not sure, it's not something that I ever need to do.  Unless you're trying to say that LT with verticals can do things that ACAD with customization/verticals can't, your examples are as fallacious as Mark's buying a hammer vs. starting a business example.

Let me be perfectly clear here, if my understanding is incorrect, and the use of products like this doesn't violate the EULA, I have absolutely no problem with it at all.  If on the other hand it does violate the EULA, I do have a problem with it.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 09:15:53 AM »

Has nothing to do with spending money, but I can guarantee that I am more productive with the full version[/quote]Meant to explain that answer more.  I have quite a bit that increases my productivity that is in VBA.

Gazza

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

Sure you have now tell us more!

Josh Nieman

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »

... do you seriously think that it can't be done or that someone hasn't done it already?

Hell, check out our local resident (whom I haven't seen in a while, actually...) DaveW... he has one HELL of an app created for his niche called MillLister... you should SEE what that beast can do.  He set me up on a part of his program for some of the solids editing features he includes, and showed me the ropes on a lot of his BOM and cutlist features... it's as automated as a BOM can be using xdata associated with the entities created.

But even stopping short of the beast he developed, there're plenty of BOM automation apps out there for full Autocad using LSP, Arx, vba, whatever I'm sure... it all depends on how much automation you want.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »

Are you seriously trying to say that LT with a lisp enabler is more powerful than ACAD?

Gazza

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
Are you seriously trying to say that LT with a lisp enabler is more powerful than ACAD?
Somehow I don't think that you get it.

edit.  just fixed a quote tag. Mav

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 11:29:17 AM by Maverick® »

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »

Then maybe you should explain what it is you actually ARE trying to say?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »
That's why we asked questions.. we're not sure what you're saying, and we're curious.

deegeecees

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »
I have seen a framing schedule and cutting list created on LT

OK, I did it in AutoCad... in half a blink.

Now what?

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »

I believe what Gazza is getting at is that you can do everything you need in LT that you can in AutoCAD but without the price.  It's not that it's better in LT.  Just that you can do the same thing and it doesn't cost you as much.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 03:44:17 PM »

I believe what Gazza is getting at is that you can do everything you need in LT that you can in AutoCAD but without the price.  It's not that it's better in LT.  Just that you can do the same thing and it doesn't cost you as much.

That was what I thought too until his last post.  I may be reading him wrong due to the nature of internet text, but it seemed sarcastic to me, as if doubtful that vanilla Autocad doing something that LT-LSP-enabled can is a fallacy.

Just wantin' to know the purpose of the statement, out of curiosity.  I'll never be able to downgrade to LT, no matter what enablers they hack my .exe with or what standalone apps are engineered.  I have to use too much of the full package.  I'm closer to suggesting the purchase of a vertical or separate application than I am to going the other way.

deegeecees

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »
I know for me, to go from full to lite would just piss me off. There would be lots of screaming, things being hurled in different directions, and possibly the use of some explatives.

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »
Those both sound like an unwillingness to learn something new.

Or maybe LT is a "Bargain Basement" application.