Author Topic: CAD Users Interview  (Read 8410 times)

CADNewbie

CAD Users Interview
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi all,
I'm new here and justed started learning CAD three weeks ago as part of my Interior Design Program at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division and I love it!    One of my assignments this week is to find CAD Users and ask the following basic questions so I can share with my class the various ways CAD is being used in the real world. 

Please help me with this assignment by responding to the following:

1) What is your name, location and profession?

2) When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)?

3) The types of standardizations you use?

4) Advantages and disadvantages that CAD brings to your practice?

Please feel free to answer here or e-mail me at alohakelela@yahoo.com

Josh Nieman

Re: CAD Users Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:28:40 PM »
Josh Nieman, Lafayette LA, CAD Technician/Designer
2) When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)?
Throughout the entire process.  That's the nature of technical drawings.  Create preliminary drawings for the client's idea/requirements; create bid drawings for approval, create construction drawings to be fabricated/built by, modify construction drawings per contractor comments, optionally create as-built drawings of the product post-construction.
That's quite a broad question and very vague.  I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  We standardize everything we do.  The product that one user puts out must look the same as another user, thus our lineweights, linetypes, layer guidelines, etc are quite 'standard' within our company.  This extends to many other more specific realms as well.
Advantages over what?  Hand drafting?  Shoot... speed, accuracy, flexibility, I mean... this should be obvious to you if you're already doing CAD work.  Disadvantages over what?  Hand drafting?  Uhm.. heh.  Yea.

Bealerusa

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »
Hi all,
I'm new here and justed started learning CAD three weeks ago as part of my Interior Design Program at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division and I love it!    One of my assignments this week is to find CAD Users and ask the following basic questions so I can share with my class the various ways CAD is being used in the real world. 

Please help me with this assignment by responding to the following:

Chad Lutsey, Northern Wisconsin, CAD Support, Safety Manager, Grinding Tech and Maint. Dept. Manager

Prelim. design and Cust. Approval sheets, Moulding Spec sheets, Template Manuf. (in-house grinding/sharpening)

Not as many as I should.  We don't supply any files to outside sources.

AD: Quickness to production of Custom millwork, ease of changing profiles to suit customer's needs;  DIS: same when the cust doesn't really know what h/she wants or is prepared to pay for.

Please feel free to answer here or e-mail me at alohakelela@yahoo.com

pmvliet

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »

Pieter Makana Vliet, Rochester Hills Michigan and self employed doing computer drafting.

I currently do structural steel shop drawings (for fabrication)
Mechanical piping coordination and as-built documentation (before and after installation)
Telecommunication as-built documentation (after installation)

In past experiences, I have drawn up all aspects of the construction process.

Standards I use is what I have learned from past experiences to work really well.
I've avoided using things that don't make sense, don't save time or are really complication.
I use AIA and Army Corp CADD standards and recommendations as a guide and resource.

CAD has many advantages to re-use past drawings.  Creates good standard drawings.
Ease of transport (PDF, DWF, hard copy)
a couple disadvantages would be cost and staying trained. Software is changing on a yearly
basis and at time I feel it can be hard to keep up...

BTW, Welcome to TheSwamp!

Pieter

deegeecees

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »

Donnelly Graphic Comminucations Services, Chicago, Illinois, Owner/Contractor/IT Manager/CAD Manager/Designer/JOAT

I have used CAD from Preliminary/Presentation drawings to Production/As-Built drawings over the past 17 years and have touched on every discipline in the industry at one point or another (i.e. Structural/Mechanical/Electrical (including Power)/Architectural/Civil.

I have been contracted to many companies with no known standards, as well as companies with very strict policies regarding the use of Layers/Xrefs/Psapce-Mspace/Text Styles (sizes)/Lineweights/Attributed Blocks, and the like.

One of the many benefits of using CAD as opposed to hand drafting is the ease of making changes to a drawing. This was the selling point for the first firm I was hired into after school. There are many wonderful benefits as well, like using blocks, xrefs, automation through available tools, and tons more that may or may not have been mentioned.

The ONLY disadvantage (and this point could be argued to some extent) is the ability to be creative (to a degree), or have a "Signature" style, as was the case with drafting "On The Board". For instance, I used to use some shading techniques that would be a bit cumbersome in a CAD evironment. Don't get me wrong, a person can still be creative, but not as freely.

Hope this fares you well. Oh, and welcome to TheSwamp, and the wonderful world of CAD.

I will now duck and cover...

Arizona

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 02:33:20 PM »
Lori 
Lake Mary, Florida
Electric Utility engineering (Power Company)

We use Cad from start of job to publishing completed multi copies/multi size sets ready for distribution to field folks. We also use a doc. mgmt system that allows our workers from around the state to be able to access by computer the necessary drawings for viewing.

We use an extensive parts library and very standardized equipment, so our blocks while new ones are added, they rarely are taken away. Everything is easily accessible through menuing so no one has to hunt for things or make their own stuff. Everything is logically grouped by equipment and drawing type meaning a transformer or a breaker can show up on many types of drawings (one-lines, schematics, general layouts, etc…) and will appear differently in each drawing type. We take as much decision on what to use out of the equation…

Cad drawings are easier to create, revise and distribute as needed.
Using a doc. mgmnt system allows to capture a maintenance a history of the substation drawings as they change in time
No disadvantages at all.

Avanti

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »

Betty, Vero Beach FL,  CAD Designer/CNC Programmer

Throughout the entire process from preliminary design straight through manufacturing.

What is currently most efficient based on experience and accepted refeerences.

Cad brings the ability to produce clean professional presentations in a timely manner.  From our presentation drawings we are able to write to the CNC thus producing accurate parts which also speed production.  Libraries allow us to reuse common parts.

What disadvantages? 

CaddmannQ

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »

Names I don't give out. Don't bother asking for my SSN either.  :wink:

Call me Cadd.
Central California
CADD Manager for a group of consulting structural engineers

Prelim drawings, design development, contract documents, checking, bidding, and construction phases as req'd.

CADD standards are custom, and all developed in-house.

Big advantage: ease of making changes and exact calculations done graphically.
Big disadvantage: clients know that changes are easier to make, and feel free to change things continually. This is covered by an old maxim: "If a project is allowed to change freely, the rate of change will exceed the rate of progress." We have to twist people's arms to get things "locked down" so progress can be made.

Other advantage: I get to lean back, and after 20 years of leaning forward over a drawing board, 20 years of CADD has finally corrected my posture. (Now it's starting to go the other way.  :roll: )

SDETERS

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »

Name sdeters  Location Central IL   Profession Product Designer

From Start to end.  Design  FEA Service

Industry standards small list   SAE ASME/1994 GD&T   IFI 

Mostly all positives.  The biggest problem I have is modeling parts after they are in the assembly that take a set or get deformed.  For Example Springs Rubber parts ECT.

Arizona

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »

Donnelly Graphic Comminucations Services, Chicago, Illinois, Owner/Contractor/IT Manager/CAD Manager/Designer/JOAT
And chief coffee maker? :-)

deegeecees

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »

And chief coffee maker? :-)

Nope, I have people.   :-)

Arizona

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
 :-D

hudster

• Gator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 03:40:01 AM »

Andy Hudson, Glasgow, Scotland, CAD Manager

We use CAD at every stage in the production process, from scheme design to contruction.

We use our own inhouse standards, Symbols are based on the British standards, all of our drawings are designed so the installation complies with British and European standards.

Advantages, Speed, accuracy, flexibility.
Disadvantages, Architects who constantly change their designs, moving doors continually making our job harder.
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 05:53:07 AM »
Willie Wilbers, Cape Town - South Africa, CAD operator

Preliminary Design  -> Final Design Drawings -> Tender Drawings -> Construction Drawings -> Record Drawings and every other stage imaginable.

Company standards

The advantages are numerous. ie. You can setup standards that everybody are to follow.
The disadvantages: Everybody thinks that his way of drawing are the standard and that the actual standard is a waste of time.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Lin-Z

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »

Lin-Z, El Paso, Texas, Drafter and [Almost officially] Designer for an Environmental Engineering firm with IS duties and all around comic-relief thrown in to keep things interesting

Our engineers have been banned from using CAD software but they usually provide us with sketches or data sheets and we run with it from there.  For us CAD is 99% of the process from start to finish to record drawings.

We have a company standard that is mandatory, somewhat based on the National CAD Standard with exceptions made for things requiring tweaking.

CAD has more advantages since currently most of the work excluding sheet layout is in 3D models.  It saves a great deal of time when one change to a model can automatically carry across an entire set of plans.  Whatever extracurricular shenanigans that can't be done in CAD can usually be handled with a little creative Photoshop.