Author Topic: Rendering a terrain!  (Read 1642 times)

aussihammer

Rendering a terrain!
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
Hi guys. Im new to surfaces and terrain modelling, usually we just work with contours.
Im in the business of designing golf courses and am in need of a way i can create a terrain model and cover it to look like a solid with all my feature lines on top of that.

I Have acad, LDD, and 3d max.
Any suggestions?
Ive managed to get most of what i need but when i manipulate what i have things start to go wrong.

I create a terrain from my contours, and then i object projection my feature lines so they show up on the terrain. The angle i use to look at the terrain is not helping either as the back face of my slopes are visible through the grid/mesh. I tried using the hide command but it hides features and other lines i draw over the top.
When i use the shade command i generally use the garoud shade edges on which works well but i still cant seem to trace over my feature lines and have them show up?

Any ideas or anything that can help me would be a great help.
cheers.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Rendering a terrain!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 05:03:27 AM »
You will want to import the 3d faces (TIN lines) into 3d max, and then apply your desired materials to them.  If I recall in Max you can drape an arial photo over the terrain.

I think there is also an option for you to take only the contour lines and create terrain from them on the AEC Extended command pannel. Then you set Colour by Elevation
 To start the Colour by Elevation process, select the terrain object, click the Modify tab  on the Control Panel and expand the Colour by Elevation rollup by clicking on the button. The button is right at the bottom of the Control Panel and you may have to scroll down to find it. As you can see from the illustration on the right, the Control Panel shows the maximum and minimum elevations (Z values) and the reference elevation.

Have fun!

Most of this can also be done right inside of Civil 3D if you have it handy.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Re: Rendering a terrain!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:34 PM »
Just to share. I am a civil guy who does renders for sites... I stumbled on Autodesk revit! Nice.... Easy!
Import your site and color! and create video animation.
Civil3D 2020