Author Topic: (C3d 2008) Parcel Property Name Template  (Read 2051 times)

DanB

• Bull Frog
(C3d 2008) Parcel Property Name Template
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:43:40 AM »
We have a drawing containing a large number of parcels (500+). We need to revise the name of most if not all of the parcels. The problem is we now have to prospector>select>right click>edit each parcel property due to the "Use name template in parcel style" being checked on all of them (see image). Is there any way we can globally un-check this without having to open each parcel property? Once this is unchecked we can edit at will through prospector the new names we need. Also is there a way of preventing this from being checked prior to creating our parcels for future use?

Thanks,
Dan

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: (C3d 2008) Parcel Property Name Template
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »
For the future you would set this at both the Feature level and the Command level of the Parcel Object settings.

As an option one might try, export those parcels to XML, then do a find and replace of the parcel properties one wants to change.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »
Where at, Michael?

I've had the same thing come up, and I was unable to find any way to control the default for this setting.

The XML export is an interesting idea.  When I had a similar situation come up, I only wanted to change that setting for about 20 parcels, so I just went through and did them one by one.  It worked, but I wouldn't want to do that for 500 parcels.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Correction, It would seem that one can not adjust this setting in any fashion.  One Must use whatever Name Template is being applied to the Parcel style.  I guess they decided we shouldn't ever have unnamed parcels?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:49:44 AM »
I can see where having an un-named parcel would cause problems, I just wish they allowed an easy(ier) method for creating an "overide" (sp?) if we so choose. We'll keep going through the long process but I will keep an eye out on this post in case anyone does have any further comments. Thanks for the feedback.

sinc

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
Correction, It would seem that one can not adjust this setting in any fashion.  One Must use whatever Name Template is being applied to the Parcel style.  I guess they decided we shouldn't ever have unnamed parcels?

Along with no easy way of creating lots that are lettered (Parcel A, Parcel B, ..., Parcel Z, Parcel AA, ..., Parcel ZZ, etc.), or Blocks (Block 1 Lot 1, Block 2 Lot 1, etc.).  You can use Expressions to hack a nasty version of the latter, but the only option for the former is to go in and manually create every name, and hope that editing your parcels doesn't cause C3D to "forget" the new names...  And if you use an Expression to "hack together" names for Block 1 Lot 1, etc., then you may also need to drop back into 2007 so you can create labels that access that Expression in Reference Text...

Ah, the joy of C3D and its Parcels...  It just keeps going and going, like a demonically-possessed Energizer bunny...   :pissed:

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »
Misery loves company, "glad" to hear others having to deal with these same issues. Parcels still have lots of issues to be resolved. We have tried some "hacks" using expressions and classifications, not really the best reliable methods. I'm just glad that today I'm not the one in the office having to rename these parcels :-)

Edit: Co-worker just crashed and lost Phase 2 edits...oops save often!

sinc

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »

Edit: Co-worker just crashed and lost Phase 2 edits...oops save often!

Rookie.   :-D