Author Topic: Sinc a visability action to a stretch action  (Read 9411 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Sinc a visability action to a stretch action
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
Is possible to sinc (or chained) and visibility action to a stretch action. 
I would be toggling two pieces of text depending whether the user stretches the block up or down.

Just trying to make it idiot proof ... sorry my bad yes I am trying to evolve ... less for user to to remember.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:49:12 PM by Krushert »
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Maverick®

• Seagull
Re: Sinc a visability action to a strecth action
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »
Type that one kinda fast didya Krush?

Josh Nieman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 06:41:18 PM »
Sorry dude, I'm at a loss.

I tried to somehow use the LookUp tool to see if it could look up the DISTANCE value of the STRETCH action, and I thought maybe it could see if it were a negative value, and if so, force the vis state to a certain state... and if a positive value... force it to the other...

but I see no way :(

I can't think of anything, that was my only idear.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »
Type that one kinda fast didya Krush?
:-D :-D
It is okay Mav, we don't expect you to follow Autocad Speak.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »
If you don't have an answer when I get in tomorrow morning, I'll try to tool around with it in the morning while I'm settling in...

I played a bit but I'm still new to using some of the dynamic block features... I've mainly used it for modifying geometry only... I've yet to do anything fancy... lots of stretching, arraying, visibility states, and stuff like that.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
If you don't have an answer when I get in tomorrow morning, I'll try to tool around with it in the morning while I'm settling in...

I played a bit but I'm still new to using some of the dynamic block features... I've mainly used it for modifying geometry only... I've yet to do anything fancy... lots of stretching, arraying, visibility states, and stuff like that.
No problem, thanks.

daron

Re: Sinc a visability action to a stretch action
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
Not fully understanding what you're asking for, I'll at least chime in on what I think you want. If you want to stretch the visibility parameter and its associated objects, yes. You can select the parameter in the stretch as well as the object(s)..... Check this block out and see if it does anything near what you're looking at doing.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »
Not fully understanding what you're asking for, I'll at least chime in on what I think you want. If you want to stretch the visibility parameter and its associated objects, yes. You can select the parameter in the stretch as well as the object(s)..... Check this block out and see if it does anything near what you're looking at doing.
Sorry Daron that is not it.

Let me try to say what I need for the end result.  I have a base cabinet with height stretch set at list.  36" high and 34" high.  When the cabinet is stretched to the 36" height, I need the text to read B36.  When the cabinet is stretched to the 34" height, I need the text to read HAB36.  Clear as mud?  :?

I was thinking hoping of approaching this by using two attributes containing fields and having the DB itself toggle the visibility of the attributes NOT the user.
Or is there another way to do this?
Thanks.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »
Why not just use two visibility states instead: one for the 36" high and one for 34"?  When you select the 36" option, the text will be B36, when you select the 34" option, the text will be HAB36.  You would need two separate pieces of text for this; one displayed for one visibility state and the other displayed for the other visibility state.

That's what I would do (unless I'm missing something else).

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
Why not just use two visibility states instead: one for the 36" high and one for 34"?  When you select the 36" option, the text will be B36, when you select the 34" option, the text will be HAB36.  You would need two separate pieces of text for this; one displayed for one visibility state and the other displayed for the other visibility state.

That's what I would do (unless I'm missing something else).
That is what I am after and I can do that (and probably will end up doing) but the end result is the user has to toggle the visibility states.  So before I go done that path, I am wondering if the stretch action triggers the visibility state.  sort of like a reactor in code but with out the code?  I am trying to find out if it can be done.

What I have here is boat load of human error when it comes to Designation of Cabinets and I trying to dial the errors down programmatically with the use of fields in DBs.

Kate M

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »
You can probably do it, but it will involve coding a reactor. Don't ask me how, but tlindell (at the Autodesk forums, maybe here too?) is a whiz at DB customizing.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 01:49:36 PM »
Thanks Kate, I will look in over there.

Dave R

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
Maybe something like this? You would have to do a Regen after changing the height of the block to see the update to the text, but it may get close to what you're looking for.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:20:01 AM »
Maybe something like this? You would have to do a Regen after changing the height of the block to see the update to the text, but it may get close to what you're looking for.
That is what I am looking for.  I don't know anything about lookups and will have to dig into those.

Question, when first opening the file, the "this file contains macros" message pop up.  But no where could I find the macro.  Is that a left over or is there.  And if it is there is tied to the DB?

Dave R

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
Question, when first opening the file, the "this file contains macros" message pop up.  But no where could I find the macro.  Is that a left over or is there.  And if it is there is tied to the DB?

The macro thing is a leftover from our template. There are no macros associated with the DB.