Author Topic: plot reveals dots not apparent on screen  (Read 7887 times)

Bethrine

plot reveals dots not apparent on screen
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I have a dwg that plots dots on paper but they are not visible in the viewport or model space. I need to find them and turn them off. I know, silly question.  :ugly:
Thanks!

Just noticed, I think they are the same dots that my cursor actually goes under when I try to click on them.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:51:38 PM by Bethrine »

Re: plot reveals dots not apparent on screen
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:50:06 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I have a dwg that plots dots on paper but they are not visible in the viewport or model space. I need to find them and turn them off. I know, silly question.  :ugly:
Thanks!

I've seen something like this before... The dots were the dots at the end of leaders.  It turned out the layer that the leaders were on was turned off in the xref and not frozen (like we typically do).

Bob Wahr

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:51:56 PM »
[guess]either points or zero length lines in an xref on layer defpoints.  defpoints frozen in current drawing but "dots" picking up properties from layer 0 or layer xref inserted onto.[/guess]

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »
Do you have any layers that are the same color or close to the same color as your background color?
I drink beer and I know things....

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »
[guess]either points or zero length lines in an xref on layer defpoints.  defpoints frozen in current drawing but "dots" picking up properties from layer 0 or layer xref inserted onto.[/guess]

But defpoints doesn't plot.

Josh Nieman

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:54:01 PM »
Do you see a lot of grips appear when you hit CTRL+A where there otherwise shouldn't be grips?

Bethrine

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
No excess grips, there not in the same location as the dots either. All Xref layers are the same color. I am certain it has to be something in the Xref'd dwg

ps, I like that Ctrl A a lot :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:03:41 PM by Bethrine »

Bob Wahr

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 04:05:53 PM »

But defpoints doesn't plot.
defpoints, unlike other layers doesn't have xref specific settings (xrefname|Defpoints), it is also linked to layer 0 in some funky bizarre ways for no reason that I can figure out.  nested instances of defpoints often lose their defpointedness and obtain some zeroosity.  But maybe it's just been my imagination for years and years.  You're probably right.

Bethrine

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
okay, found the dots at the ends of leaders, but can't click on them, my cursor goes underneath them.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
....lose their defpointedness and obtain some zeroosity....

Hehehehehe...   :-D

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »
what happens if you set pdmode to 3?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bethrine

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »
what is pdmode and what does it do?  :evil: Don't mean to be stubborn after asking for help, but I don't like making changes without knowing what I am causing.  :roll:

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:02:51 PM »
pdmode is a "point" resolution setting for lack of a better definition.  If you go to your format pulldown, and go to point style, you will see the "graphics" for points.  3 is just an 'X' on screen.  0 is the period/dot, 1 is "nothing", literally nothing, you cant select it, other #'s generate different pics.  Anyway, pick a graphic, and type pdmode and you will see the corresponding number
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Bethrine

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 06:03:42 PM »
It turned out to be a leader end on an odd layer, ceiling heights. Thanks everyone!!

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »
my question is how did the leader endpoint get on that layer?  By the very nature of dimensions and the layer defpoints, those dots should have been on defpoints.  Unless they had lost their defpointedness as Bob stated