Author Topic: Plotting standards  (Read 15193 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Plotting standards
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »
That shouldn't be a problem for you . . . the origin along with all of the other plotter options can vary between named page setups.  Just ignore the default completely and make a named page setup for your plotter with the origin it needs.  If you plot that page setup, the Oce' origin will not affect your plot.

But the title block was drawn to fit the OCE margins. When I use one of my page setups the line work is off the printable area. One could write a book on just plotting from AutoCAD.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »
One of the extra things that can mess you up is the cut size, you set everything right but this and it will cut off the bottom

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
That shouldn't be a problem for you . . . the origin along with all of the other plotter options can vary between named page setups.  Just ignore the default completely and make a named page setup for your plotter with the origin it needs.  If you plot that page setup, the Oce' origin will not affect your plot.

But the title block was drawn to fit the OCE margins. When I use one of my page setups the line work is off the printable area. One could write a book on just plotting from AutoCAD.
I dont know of a way around that.  If the border was drawn to work with 0.03, an HP with .23 just wont work
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »
One could write a book on just plotting from AutoCAD.

Sure wish one would!
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
Sure wish one would!

If one put it in a book; then what would we do with our magic wands, spells, and pointy hats?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
Concentrate on real work?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Dinosaur

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
I dont know of a way around that.  If the border was drawn to work with 0.03, an HP with .23 just wont work
it all depends on just how big your title block really is . . . try setting the origin to 0,0 and tell it to plot to fit centered on the sheet - the scale factor required for this will display in the box . . . if the number is greater than 1.00 you have no choice but to redraw the borders or plot to fit (or have the main office send you a new Oce') . . . If less than 1.00 you still have a shot . . . plot a drawing with the origin at 0,0 at 1:1 scale centered on the correct size sheet and scale the plot  from each sheet edge to each line of the border - the differences between top-bottom and left-right (minus a hair over 1/2 the plotted line width) will be your origin offset (our Oce' offsets thus determined are -0.125,-0.125)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »
One could write a book on just plotting from AutoCAD.

Sure wish one would!
Second that.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »
Your template would have one plotter designated as default...

They do, it's for their OCE which has margins of 0.03. In this office I don't have any problems using any printer/plotter, of course we don't have an OCE here either. :-)

Did something similar yesterday afternoon. I had a set of 97 sheets plotted at ( roughly ) half size in 15 minutes, and that includes converting the files back to 2004. Awesome stuff those page setups!

pmvliet

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
Something else to keep in mind with the Oce, not that we are picking on Oce.
If you have two identical plotters and they have different firmware updates on their print controller,
you will have to tweak each plotter to get the same results.  I had to deal with this pain
for a while and the only authorized people that were allowed to update the firmware was
Oce Techs. Then one of our controllers was not able to be upgraded to the latest and greatest
as the other two were. We had two plotters with firmware 1.9 and a third stuck at 1.8.
Once you do get things running really nice, they can get messed up royally with a simple firmware upgrade...  :pissed:

They plot real nice, but the setup and configuration will make your hair turn grey.

Pieter

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
They [OCe] plot real nice, but the setup and configuration will make your hair turn grey.

I would have to do a LOT of plotting before I thought about purchasing an OCe plotter.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 08:11:48 PM »
To show you just how bad the sale of the Oce's are, When we (my Co.) bought 3 large format laser printers Oce' gave us 4 Large format inkjet printers (TCS500).  The ink cartridges alone cost 150 ea, and it seems as though they are down more than they are up.  Give the old HP1050 any day
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
It looks like we're down to two possibilities, page setups or importing Layouts using Design Center.

Dinosaur

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 05:53:38 PM »
I didn't discover and start using the page setups until r2007, but now I plot nearly everything by layout with a hand full of named page setups.  Even old drawings that date before this get a good page setup copied from a new drawing that has them and tweaked as necessary.  Now the plots just always work and it takes less time to generate them.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:42 PM »
Pagesetups coupled with sheet set manager and overrides are the only way to go :). Currently I manage about 85 here at work that use 9 different printers :-o.

Honestly, I don't think any of my co-workers know how to print without them. :-D

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC