Author Topic: Registered Symbol  (Read 3390 times)

BeanBag

Registered Symbol
« on: January 01, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »
Hi, Happy New Year

The autocad registered symbol - do you use one? Is it needed for small projects?

I don't have visual studio so can't use Autodesk SDK and would have to apply the 4 character symbol manually.
What does it get applied to? File names and folders? Class names?

Thanks for any thoughts.

sinc

Re: Registered Symbol
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
Are you talking about registering a string with Autodesk to prevent naming conflicts?

That's something you should only need to do if you are releasing a product for commercial sale.  Registering a string with Autodesk means that you should not have naming conflicts with other third-party products that also use registered symbols.

The string would be added to anything your application creates in a global namespace.  For example, if you wanted to create a RESET command, and you registered MMMM as a registered symbol, you could create a command named MMMMRESET and you would know that no other product will create a command with the same name.  Similarly, if your application creates any custom entities, those custom entities would have names that start with your registered symbol.

If you are not creating something for retail sale, there should be no reason to need a registered symbol.

Not sure what you mean about not being able to use the Autodesk SDK...  Are you talking about the ObjectARX SDK?  What exactly in it can't you use?  And are you aware that there are free IDE's available, such as Visual Studio Express and SharpDevelop?

BeanBag

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 06:42:38 AM »
Yes the "registered developer symbols" (RDS)

Thanks I thought as much but wanted to check.

Yes sorry thats what I mean - I have downloaded the objectArx SDK from Autocad mainly for the samples and documentation.
However you need Visual Studio to install the project template wizard - its from this wizard that it prompts for the RDS and I just wondered what it did.  I was able to experiment with a friends version of VS and it renames the first class with the RDS - I wondered if that was it.

I'm using Express 2008 with this free program to create template and allow debugging with Acad:
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=20401.0

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:23:06 AM »
FYI, you can debug without using that template.  It will make it easier though
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)