Author Topic: ultraedit syntax highlighting  (Read 5076 times)

wizman

• Bull Frog
ultraedit syntax highlighting
« on: December 22, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
hi to all,

im just looking for an updated ultraedit syntax highlighting for lisp and vlisp functions and also a good .ini file for a good user interface. may be someone could point me in a good direction since im a new learner of this product. Thanks in advance.

sinc

Re: ultraedit syntax highlighting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
The Lisp highlighting in Ultra-Edit is relatively new.  The version I have (11.2) doesn't do it.  I'd be surprised if there's anything beyond what comes with the product.

What do you mean by "a good .ini file for a good user interface"?  .ini files are typically simple text files that contain nothing but configuration options.  In fact, I don't even think they are used any more for the most part, except in some legacy stuff.  Microsoft prefers that developers use the Registry, and has deprecated the use of .ini files.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:02:59 AM »
Attached. Mine is named myWordfile.txt rather than wordfile.txt so when there's upgrades it's not over written. You an set the path to said file via the pull down menu (Advanced -> Configuration -> Editor Display -> Syntax Highlighting). I just put mine in the usual location of C:\Program Files\UltraEdit. Said file contains definitions for Visual LISP, DCL, OpenDCL, DOLIb ... It also has a modified entry for txt files so it will parse itself into functional areas (View -> Views/Lists -> Function List). For what it's worth. As for the ini file I'm not sure I understand what you want.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

wizman

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:21:34 AM »
Thank you MP and Sinc for your quick, informative replies. i just browsed the uedit's page today and discovered that its a good one,
MP has given a lot though i cant understand mostly of it, i'll be loading it here, also thanks for the bonus parse . i provided the link for the .ini that im looking, its just only user customizations like colors, if i understand it correctly . Keep up and more power guys.

http://www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Content&pid=222

ps:

ive tried it already MP and its a wow. thank you very much.

sinc

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
Cool.  Did you put that together yourself?  Or was it built on something that came with the product, and you added stuff to it?

I notice that all the definitions are included in the wordfile.  That means that things not in the wordfile will not be highlighted.

I do something like the following to load the Land Desktop type libraries:

Code: [Select]
    (vlax-import-type-library
      :tlb-filename   "landauto.tlb"
      :methods-prefix     "vll-"
      :properties-prefix  "vll-"
      :constants-prefix   "vll-"
     ) ;_ vlax-import-type-library

This lets me use lines like this to access Land Desktop functionality:

Code: [Select]
(vll-get-alignments AeccProj)
When I use the Autodesk VLIDE, the vll-get-alignments is highlighted, simply because I had that (vlax-import-type-library) line in there.  Ultraedit does not appear to do that.  It looks like, if I want to get those highlighted, I would have to go through and add all the available vll- commands to the wordfile, correct?

(not that I'll actually go to the effort - I think my Lisp coding days are pretty much over)

wizman

• Bull Frog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:38:23 AM »
my additional question is how to do the vlide's format code in editor in uedit? i tried using reformat paragraph but all text and codes are compressing? Thanks

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:58:42 AM »
Thank you MP and Sinc for your quick, informative replies. i just browsed the uedit's page today and discovered that its a good one,
MP has given a lot though i cant understand mostly of it, i'll be loading it here, also thanks for the bonus parse . i provided the link for the .ini that im looking, its just only user customizations like colors, if i understand it correctly . Keep up and more power guys.

http://www.ultraedit.com/index.php?name=Content&pid=222

I don't use alternate environments so you'll have to ace it on your own and share your findings with the rest of the class.

ive tried it already MP and its a wow. thank you very much.

My pleasure. Provided free of charge complete with no warranty, no help. But hey, when I'm around I'll try to help.

Cool.  Did you put that together yourself?  Or was it built on something that came with the product, and you added stuff to it?

I added (VisualLISP, DCL, DOSLib, OpenDCL ...) to the vanilla wordfile.txt that shipped with the product and modified existing entries (txt, csv, ini etc). When I first started using UltraEdit about a year ago Steve Domain gave me some useful tips that contributed to the success of my version of the wordfile.

I notice that all the definitions are included in the wordfile.  That means that things not in the wordfile will not be highlighted.

True, it's not dynamically reading typelibs or dlls et al.

When I use the Autodesk VLIDE, the vll-get-alignments is highlighted, simply because I had that (vlax-import-type-library) line in there.  Ultraedit does not appear to do that.  It looks like, if I want to get those highlighted, I would have to go through and add all the available vll- commands to the wordfile, correct?

True. I just do a filtered dump of the atoms family once it's state represents my typical working environs.

my additional question is how to do the vlide's format code in editor in uedit? i tried using reformat paragraph but all text and codes are compressing? Thanks

I've never cared for vlide (tangent/rant: actually close to hate it and the code it produces via some hands). As such I don't use or support it. UltraEdit knows nothing of vlide, so when you reformat a "paragraph" in UltraEdit it's using its own rules. Because it's a general text editor it doesn't know it's formatting lisp so my advice would be to learn to write your code the way you wish it to appear, rather than rely on UltraEdit. Despite this seemingly UltraEdit shortcoming I can tell you it's made my programming a lot easier. Having said that I still use Textpad for some things. For example it's columnar editing is superior to UltraEdit's. But I digress; later.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:39:27 AM by MP »
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

wizman

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »
thank you for sharing MP.  :-)

MP

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
You're welcome Wizman -- thanks to Mark Thomas for making it so easy to share.

FREQUENCYDRIVE

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
Thanks for posting the Lisp syntax highlighting file for UltraEdit.  I've needed that for a long time.  That's awesome that you shared it.  I know the original post date was quite a while ago but I felt compelled to write this little thank you.