Author Topic: Civil Design Process - AIO DWG  (Read 2900 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
Civil Design Process - AIO DWG
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »
ok I am a dreamer!!
Either its VBA, .NET, or whatever (is this possible)
I have simily created a system in a Civil3d drawing for a drainage design for stormwater runoff information.
I have parcels that are hand adjusted boundaries, as pvmt, bldg, and grass. ( they have there own labels with expressions which calc the area multiplied by the Coeff Number and another in the same label for the Curve Number multiplied by the Area.) I can then take those parcels and pick all the pvmt, and add them into a table which lists all the lables.

- wish - i would like to be able in that parcel table to do other math as like to adverage the CN and Co numbers in each table.
     ( i could add this table for each storm water drainage shed and type the data into the storm sewers program)

Right now as a fix - I have created an autocad spreadsheet which does the math, I type in the areas and the Co Number and Cn's, It weighes it for me. User Action.

for Time of Concentration - I have feature line which I use to follow the grade and it gives me the slope and fall with distances. I then have the tr-55 spreadsheet in autocad so i can type my info in, and it calcs the time. Again, User Action required.

-----

I then, take my info and open a hydrograph program and add all my weighed areas in and start Pond routing and designiner for my outlet.
 ---- I would like to ask, is there a way in a dwg a user can have another type of file intergrated in autocad, so the user has everything he needs in a dwg. It would be nice if you could link it, but at least, everything is there.

-------

I would also like to size pipes as you lay them. In a since, using pipe lables, i would like to assume a user can edit a pipe and place numbers in the label which would act as a calculator for that particular pipe. but if this can not be done, the safe way is to draw pipes in from up hill to down hill and then export them to Storm Sewer design program through XML. use the interactive designer to size pipes and reimport them in.

--------

As for printing report information, Use the page setups, or layout tabs. Drainage Maps are alittle more complete...

Does this process idea sound alittle strange? I have tried this setup on 2 projects, It has not been that bad, I think.

Just picking your brains for improvements or better ideas.

Thanks for the listen!!! :-D
Civil3D 2020

Dinosaur

Re: Civil Design Process - AIO DWG
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:19:16 PM »
This is brand new stuff and apparently only works with Excel 2007, but check out THIS link over at our friends and sometime members at Civil3D dot com . . . please not that you have to register for the download but its OK, they are part of the good guys.  I don't think it is exactly what you are looking for but perhaps can be modified to suit your needs.  Good luck, you seem to be stepping out ahead of the pack in this direction . . . please keep us informed.

Hugh_Compton

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:07:26 AM »
Can you keep us posted as to your progress?

I have been experimenting with Pipe Sizing depending on friction loss etc only in ACA using structural members.  I have been doing my work in VBA but am now learning VB.Net and have high hopes that I can eventually get this working effectively. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:25:37 AM by Hugh_Compton »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 07:18:24 AM »
You will want to explore the VBA application in
C:\program files\autodesk\civil 3d 2008\sample\API\VBA\PIPES

It doesn't draw the pipes directly, however you CAN link it to your design spreadsheet, and then re-inport the designed data to your file. Have a look here http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=16850.0
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »
Do you think there could be any way to have civil3d act in a manor similiar to Carlson Software Hydrology???? I have not tested it yet... We do currently use Hydraflow software, easy and quick to use. Intergration of this through VBA or whatever would be excellent, Theres just a problem, I have no clue how to intergrate it....
Civil3D 2020

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »
As Autodesk has recently purchased a hydrology software company, I predict it should be integrated with pipes relatively soon. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »
I agree with the pipes. As of now, also if your a subscriber, you can download Storm Sewers.
But, can I ask, what do you guys use for Hydrographs???? Excel????
Please let me know.!
Civil3D 2020

sinc

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 10:51:35 AM »
As Autodesk has recently purchased a hydrology software company, I predict it should be integrated with pipes relatively soon. 

...except it will then take three more years to work through the bugs introduced during the integration...   :-D

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 10:54:17 AM »
... except it will then take three more years to work through the bugs introduced during the integration...   :-D

Sadly, more truth than comedy in that statement.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

MSTG007

• Gator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
Can I ask, what I am throwing together is this a bad thing? I will say this, as much as our standards change speaking, in 3 or so years, what we have to provide, data wise, will prob. be different.
Civil3D 2020

numa

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 06:47:17 PM »
Indeed, reviewing agencies, and the idea of runoff mitigation is beginning to encompass factors that 10 years were just a twinkle in a researchers eye.  Are there effective/prebuilt software, nigh, even methods for runoff quality (not just peak and volume).  bigger more macro viewpoints are moving in, more effective quality requirements that actually make sense are moving into my area.  3 years from now, your methods will be different, no question.